How to make a two-column NVL mode?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
R003
Projects: Durchkomponiert

How to make a two-column NVL mode?

#1 Post by R003 »

Because I am not the biggest fan of the standard NVL mode, I wanted to change it to suit the needs of my project. So I've come up with the layout which I think works the best for me, but the problem is - I have no idea how to program it into renpy. The idea is as follows:

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
I managed to squeeze the text into the first column by changing nvl_text_xpos and text_width

Code: Select all

## The position, width, and alignment of the dialogue text.
define gui.nvl_text_xpos = 1450
define gui.nvl_text_ypos = 12
define gui.nvl_text_width = 420
define gui.nvl_text_xalign = 0.0
Making the text continue to appear in the column 2 without erasing text form column 1 is the main issue. I assume I have to do something with the NVL section in Screens.rpy, but I don't know what.

I am extremly bad at programming, so please explain thoroughly what should be done.

Thank you!

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: How to make a two-column NVL mode?

#2 Post by Kia »

It should be easy using a simple hbox in the NVL screen, however, you would have to keep track of how much text is shown and clear the screen accordingly, since you'll lose the scrolling ability that comes with the default set-up.