[SOLVED] How to use config.key_repeat correctly?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
redeller

[SOLVED] How to use config.key_repeat correctly?

#1 Post by redeller »

Hi, so I have run into a problem with editing how key repeat is working in my code.

I am using repeated directional keys to move a character (ex. "repeat_K_UP"), but I noticed there is a delay before the key repeats. This makes it so that when I press a direction key, it waits a certain amount before it moves the character.

I searched it up and turns out I should be using config.key_repeat to edit the delay from the first repeat and the delay between each repeat. However, no matter what values I put in the tuple (ex. config.key_repeat = (0,0) or config.key_repeat = (1,1)) the delay is always the same. I was wondering if I am accessing the incorrect variable to remove the delay or if there is a different way I should go about this.

I am still very new to Renpy so forgive me if this is a stupid question haha. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by redeller on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: How to use config.key_repeat correctly?

#2 Post by PyTom »

config.key_repeat used to exist, but it hasn't been supported since the move to SDL 2.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom