Android .apk building, but not always installing on devices, Ren'py 8.0.1 and 7.4.11

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Flurby

Android .apk building, but not always installing on devices, Ren'py 8.0.1 and 7.4.11

#1 Post by Flurby »

With permission from the original creator, I am attempting to port an existing game to android. I've no intention to release to google play, so I'm just trying to make a universal .apk. Project builds just fine, and gives me an .apk, and that .apk installs and runs with only very minor graphical issues, smoothly on my Razer Phone 2. However, upon release it became quickly apparent the .apk did not work for many people.

Quoted problem reports:

"Keeps telling me that the package is invalid. I don't know a lot about coding, but I tried opening the files and it keeps telling me that the android manifest is corrupted."

Upon attempted installation, "it takes about a minute to stage then another to get to the point of saying it is invalid".

"I ran into the same issue with and without a file manager, samsung internet, chrome and google and all the same message, package appears invalid"

"i dont believe the android mod link works anymore it says the app package is invalid."

Affected devices listed: Samsung s20 5g and Samsung S10, Samsung S21 Ultra, as well as Bluestacks.

The finished .apk is just under 3gb.

How might one go about troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Android .apk building, but not always installing on devices, Ren'py 8.0.1 and 7.4.11

#2 Post by PyTom »

For many devices, the limit on apk size is 2gb.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Flurby

Re: Android .apk building, but not always installing on devices, Ren'py 8.0.1 and 7.4.11

#3 Post by Flurby »

Thanks a lot, man, that's gotta be it, though I haven't gotten a chance to trim it down yet.

lsf22
Regular

#4 Post by lsf22 »

PyTom wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 pm
For many devices, the limit on apk size is 2gb.
Is there a way to increase the apk size limit on android devices?

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#5 Post by Zetsubou »

If it's a device limit, then you probably can't do anything about this.
It's unlikely that a device would have a setting to change that limit either.

If your game is 3GB, then you should really be looking at what's taking up most of that space and whether it actually needs to be that big.
You may be able to reduce the size drastically without changing the game's content.
For example, you can save a significant amount of space by redoing your sprites as layeredimages, with the base image, outfit, expression, etc. on separate layers.
Or by compressing your images, audio files, video files, etc.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games