Is there a way to make changes to the game without reloading?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
span4ev
Regular
itch: rpymc

Is there a way to make changes to the game without reloading?

#1 Post by span4ev »

I decided to play an interesting game, but there is a problem: in the "statistics" section, all the elements have a very crooked positioning, text and pictures overlap each other and nothing is clear. I want to fix it so that I can play normally.
But after each editing of the code, you have to restart the game, and it restarts for a long time.
Enabling the "autoreload" mode leads to an error, the game freezes and crashes.
Exiting the menu prevents the changes from taking effect.

Is there a way to apply changes without restarting the game?

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Is there a way to make changes to the game without reloading?

#2 Post by m_from_space »

No, I don't think so. You might want to change as much as you can handle in your head, before reloading then. I mean it's clear that a game has to reload for code-changes to take effect.

On the other hand, maybe you could import the necessary "design" parts of that code into your own project, fix it there and then re-import it to the bigger game.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Is there a way to make changes to the game without reloading?

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

span4ev wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:32 am Enabling the "autoreload" mode leads to an error, the game freezes and crashes.
This is your real issue. For some reason, reloading is causing your game to crash.
You need to make sure if you reload, and whats changing, has everything defaulted/declared before the point you reload at.

If you have screens open, I would suggest rolling back and closing the screen so it has a lower chance of doing this, before hitting the reload.

Posting the traceback would help diagnose the exact issue.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter