My project doesn't start anymore

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
YedaGa

My project doesn't start anymore

#1 Post by YedaGa »

Hello. I've encountered a very strange problem with my game. It simply doesn't load anymore. The «Launch project» button does nothing — just returns me to the menu.
I also can't make a new build or force recompile because it tells me «Launching the project failed. Please ensure that your project launches normally before running this command».
The only possible explanation for it that I could think of was the recent computer crash which wiped out my last script file. And while I was able to restore it, maybe there was something else affected by it? Unfortunately, I have no idea what it could be.
Please, help me. Thanks.

enaielei
Veteran
Organization: enaielei
Tumblr: enaielei
Deviantart: enaielei
Github: enaielei
Soundcloud: enaielei
itch: enaielei
Discord: enaielei#7487

Re: My project doesn't start anymore

#2 Post by enaielei »

1. Try renpy launcher -> force recompile before launching the project.
2. If (1) didn't work, try posting here the traceback file found under your <project_path>/ folder.

YedaGa

#3 Post by YedaGa »

The force recompile option doesn't work either, it shows me the same error: «Launching the project failed. Please ensure that your project launches normally before running this command».
And the traceback file haven't been updated since August, when was the last time I was able to launch it, so it doesn't show anything relevant. There is a log file that says this:
«Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.07s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.09s
Loading error handling took 0.19s
Loading script took 45.04s»
But I don't know what this means.

enaielei
Veteran
Organization: enaielei
Tumblr: enaielei
Deviantart: enaielei
Github: enaielei
Soundcloud: enaielei
itch: enaielei
Discord: enaielei#7487

#4 Post by enaielei »

Is that the full log.txt?
If there's an errors.txt file in the folder, you can also try posting that in here.

YedaGa

#5 Post by YedaGa »

Yes, that's the full file. Errors.txt also has nothing relevant in it, just the broken if/else operator from the previous working version.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#6 Post by Ocelot »

What is the date of creation of error.txt? Is it old (like previous working version was) or is it new, like the time you tried to launch the game last time?
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

YedaGa

#7 Post by YedaGa »

Yes, it was created on the day when I was able to start the project for the last time.

Aside from that, I've got another project that mostly uses the same files (but with images in a different format), which works. I was also able to paste my new script files in an earlier build, and they also work. So, my only explanation to that is that either something broke in RenPy launcher itself in relation to this specific project or there's some kind of damaged library. However, I reinstalled RenPy, and it didn't fix anything.