[SOLVED] Could not find label "start"—but it *does* exist!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kaji
Regular
Github: Kaji01
Discord: Kaji#7767

Re: [SOLVED] Could not find label "start"—but it *does* exist!

#16 Post by Kaji »

SOLVED!

When setting up a new project, somehow or another it seems that a copy of the project folder ended up inside of itself. So a structure like the following:

Code: Select all

/Project
|-> /game
||-> /audio
||-> /cache
||-> /gui
||-> /images
||-> /saves
||-> /scripts
||-> /tl
|-> /Project ***<- Here's the bug***
Deleting the second copy of the project folder resolved the issues. No idea how it got there. Rather surprised that it didn't cause the builder to crash, honestly, since there had to have been duplicate labels in that case.

But at least we have an answer for you now, DenverCoder7.

Unspoken_Uprising
Projects: ETERNAL: VN RPG-ish following the events of Lord of the Eternal Throne; a WIP film production written by myself.
Organization: Mythic Productions
Discord: James_C#3469

#17 Post by Unspoken_Uprising »

So, this is a bit of an interesting situation. I am having the exact same problem you are having with the difference being in the apparent reason why the issue is being caused. In short, if I rename the script file in the game folder, I get the error. If I move the start label to a new .rpy file and delete the original script.rpy file, I get this error. If I move the start label and do not delete the original script.rpy file (but I did delete the code in the script.rpy file), I get the error. In short, if I try to move Label Start, rename the file, or move the file to any folder other than the default location, the game refuses to detect Label Start.

I am proceeding to ensure that RenPy is up to date now, but if the update does not resolve the issue, there may be more too this than a duplicated project foldier. And I can confirm, I do not have a duplicated project folder.

EDIT: Update did not fix the issue but, a Force Recompile did. So, if anyone else sees this post and has the same issue but not for the same reasons as OP, here is another solution. Why I did not think to do that sooner is beyond me.
Last edited by Unspoken_Uprising on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring (Film) based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings

laure44
Regular
Projects: Arkan'sTower, Gemshine Lorelei!

#18 Post by laure44 »

Unspoken_Uprising wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:27 pm So, this is a bit of an interesting situation. I am having the exact same problem you are having with the difference being in the apparent reason why the issue is being caused. In short, if I rename the script file in the game folder, I get the error. If I move the start label to a new .rpy file and delete the original script.rpy file, I get this error. If I move the start label and do not delete the original script.rpy file (but I did delete the code in the script.rpy file), I get the error. In short, if I try to move Label Start, rename the file, or move the file to any folder other than the default location, the game refuses to detect Label Start.

I am proceeding to ensure that RenPy is up to date now, but if the update does not resolve the issue, there may be more too this than a duplicated project foldier. And I can confirm, I do not have a duplicated project folder.
Have you tried recompiling your project? Maybe something is wrong with your compiled files...

Unspoken_Uprising
Projects: ETERNAL: VN RPG-ish following the events of Lord of the Eternal Throne; a WIP film production written by myself.
Organization: Mythic Productions
Discord: James_C#3469

#19 Post by Unspoken_Uprising »

laure44 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 pm
Unspoken_Uprising wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:27 pm So, this is a bit of an interesting situation. I am having the exact same problem you are having with the difference being in the apparent reason why the issue is being caused. In short, if I rename the script file in the game folder, I get the error. If I move the start label to a new .rpy file and delete the original script.rpy file, I get this error. If I move the start label and do not delete the original script.rpy file (but I did delete the code in the script.rpy file), I get the error. In short, if I try to move Label Start, rename the file, or move the file to any folder other than the default location, the game refuses to detect Label Start.

Have you tried recompiling your project? Maybe something is wrong with your compiled files...
I was just about to come here to edit my post lol. I did exactly that after I did an update and tried it again and got the error. Recompiling the project (for now) appears to have solved the issue on my end. Idk if that was suggested to the OP when they had their issue or not (at least I do not recall it being a suggestion) but in case anyone else comes here with the same issue as me, they will now know that too is something to consider.
"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring (Film) based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings