"config.developer" problem

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Dark79
Regular

"config.developer" problem

#1 Post by Dark79 »

Hi everyone,

My Renpy version is 8.0.3 and I noticed that config.developer = "auto" is not working. After I built the game I still can press shift+d, shift+r and their functions work. This should not be the case.

I am not sure if the windows file explorer cache is causing the problem or something wrong with my Renpy since I updated from 7.5.3 to 8.0.3.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Update:

I deleted Renpy completely and downloaded 8.0.3 and at first everything worked fine after my first build but then I built a second time for extra safety and the problem came back.

Tess
Regular
Projects: The Songbird Guild
Organization: Yurisoft
Github: wainwt2
Discord: Tess#7782

Re: "config.developer" problem

#2 Post by Tess »

I think you want config.developer = True
"Auto" will leave developer mode on when playing from the launcher but turn it off when you make builds.

Dark79
Regular

Re: "config.developer" problem

#3 Post by Dark79 »

Tess wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:29 am I think you want config.developer = True
"Auto" will leave developer mode on when playing from the launcher but turn it off when you make builds.
Thanks for the reply.

This is what I assumed that config.developer = "auto" will turn off developer options once the build has been made. But right now it is random. I have made one build and the developer options don't work, which is correct behavior and if I make again another build from the same project with the same code, sometimes the config.developer = "auto" will not take any affect and I can still access the developer options in the build.

I just don't know, my problem is that "auto" part works and does not work as if it has an attitude problem of it's own at this point :D.

But as you said I manually set "config.developer = False" to disable when making a build just to make sure to have the right behavior.