Android game over 2gb

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
thebluestflame

Android game over 2gb

#1 Post by thebluestflame »

I need advice on how to work with Android games when you hit the 2GB mark. I have already compressed my images, videos and sound files to as small as I can without completely ruining the quality. My game is simply very large now as it's been going on for a couple years. I cannot split the game into a "part 2" situation either. That just isn't an option. There is no possible way I'm the only person to run into this situation. Is there maybe a way to create two .apk files that install to the same location? Maybe an .apk file and then a separate "patch file" that could somehow be installed? Any advice or a link to a tutorial would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Android game over 2gb

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Here how it is done in other games:
* Get write permissions
* On startup check for existence of all files in some directory.
* If not all files are present, put up a nice "Downloading data" screen.
* Download missing files from your own server (not Google)
* Restart the game.
* Load files from external directory
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

thebluestflame

Re: Android game over 2gb

#3 Post by thebluestflame »

I appreciate the advice. I'll try going down that route.