Renpy input lag when making choices and saving

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
d00kie

Renpy input lag when making choices and saving

#1 Post by d00kie »

While playing "College Kings" I reloaded an earlier save 4 times and now I'm getting input lag. Every time a choice pops up there a good 10 seconds I can't do anything. Even trying to save or pulling up the settings lags up for a few seconds. This was all instant before it bugged out. I tried deleting all game saves and persistent data, I tried reinstalling, starting a new game save, and using a different windows profile. Nothing seems to fix it and I'm unsure what broke it to begin with. I played about 2 dozen renpy games without having a problem, but now it also seems to be happening in other renpy games too. Any idea what could be causing it or how to fix it?
Last edited by d00kie on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

span4ev
Regular
itch: rpymc

Re: Renpy input lag

#2 Post by span4ev »

I think this question needs to be clarified: are you sure that the problem is with Renpy games? If the problem is not only in renpy games, there may be many different causes, from RAM, CPU, to broken sectors on the hard drive, viruses, etc.
Check other games (not Renpy).
Too early to advise yet, first you need to make sure that the problem is really with Renpy and not with your PC

d00kie

Re: Renpy input lag when making choices and saving

#3 Post by d00kie »

So to to clarify, since "college kings" messed up, I went back to play some renpy games I have previously played. Some I never finished others got updates. They too are having the same issue. So I tried some renpy games I've never played before, they seem to be working fine so far. Also tried unity and rpgm VNs, with no issue. So it's mainly with renpy games I was playing or previously played that are broken. "College Kings" was working fine until I reloaded the same save a couple of times to make different choices, then it started to lag.

HDD scan returned no errors. Virus scan came back clean.

PC specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
16gb ram
1tb hdd
Win10 Home 64-bit

I know my pc is a potato but I had no issues until this happen.