Ren'Py for iPhone. A lost cause?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Ren'Py for iPhone. A lost cause?

#46 Post by DaFool »

Google Launches Web Apps Store:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2862 ... _Store.php

Native Client:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarkDeLo ... _Store.php

(Though I really hate it, it does seem like downloading and installing .exes are becoming as outdated as using DOS commands since they require the end user to have good judgement regarding what things they run on their computer. But hey, we're all lazy so if this could get our games in front of more eyeballs instead of keeping them as forum attachments, then I'm all for it).

I already outlined a game that's basically a bunch of UI menu interactions with the end goal of being fully portable to situations like this. My question is if there are plans to deprecate some functions I've become accustomed to. Will conventional imagemaps or how about Dynamic Displayables still be supported?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#47 Post by PyTom »

DaFool wrote:I already outlined a game that's basically a bunch of UI menu interactions with the end goal of being fully portable to situations like this. My question is if there are plans to deprecate some functions I've become accustomed to. Will conventional imagemaps or how about Dynamic Displayables still be supported?
I would think so. I think that a full version of python will be able to run on native client (and probably android as well), so I should be able to port all of Ren'Py to these platforms.

Also, I'm probably going to add webm video support.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

shiki
Projects: wncoe, tinygame

#48 Post by shiki »

Unverifiable entity bless Google. Saw this in the Google I/O stream. Hawt.
Assume that I mean exactly what I say; nothing else is implied. | Did you google it? | ツンデレ永遠に.com | My DJ fan page on fb

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#49 Post by sake-bento »

PyTom wrote:
DaFool wrote:I already outlined a game that's basically a bunch of UI menu interactions with the end goal of being fully portable to situations like this. My question is if there are plans to deprecate some functions I've become accustomed to. Will conventional imagemaps or how about Dynamic Displayables still be supported?
I would think so. I think that a full version of python will be able to run on native client (and probably android as well), so I should be able to port all of Ren'Py to these platforms.

Also, I'm probably going to add webm video support.
Ren'py on the Android would seriously be a beautiful thing.

IceD
Veteran

#50 Post by IceD »

Yeah. Also, most of cellphones and pda with android onboard are preferably cheaper than the rest of their equivalents, so it's easier to get one yourself.

Porting would be possible? Seeing some of the older Ren'Py games done again for android by their creators would be totally awesome :) and seeing them on the screen of my phone, druing long bus rides... I totally aprove this :D

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#51 Post by jack_norton »

If I remember correctly, since android is based on linux it would probably be one of the easiest ports :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mizuiru

#52 Post by Mizuiru »

PyTom wrote:It could be done for the unoffical app stores, like Cydia. I have no plans to do so, however - the next target is probably Android or NaCl.
Sorry for replying to this so long after it was said! Had to ask, is there any reason for this?

Looking at that 'roadmap' thread on the Ren'Py Development board, you seemed pretty excited in an iPhone port, so it feels like a sudden change. (I admit I'm not well-read on all the posts involving this matter, sorry about that.)

The iPhone's popularity isn't limited to the US. Plenty of people in Japan carry them around for games, you'll always see a few on the train. It would be very welcome to have an engine other than ONscripter to use, since it isn't widely available and doesn't easily compile.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#53 Post by PyTom »

Going back to the start of this thread - Apple changed their developer agreement to ban Ren'Py, and all other programming languages made after 1995. ONScripter is also banned. (Also, any game that uses it is violating the GPL.)

Mizuiru

#54 Post by Mizuiru »

Ah, sorry, I meant something like Cydia specifically, seeing as many developers with rejected apps simply release their works on there. Guessing you'd rather not be affiliated with something like that?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#55 Post by PyTom »

Cydia isn't a priority for me. My general feeling is that I prefer to support platforms that support open development, like Android. While Cydia supports open development, there's the problem that Apple is trying to kill it. Also, I'd prefer that people didn't purchase Apple products, so I'm not very inclined to do things that make Apple products more appealing.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#56 Post by jack_norton »

PyTom wrote:Also, I'd prefer that people didn't purchase Apple products, so I'm not very inclined to do things that make Apple products more appealing.
Haha I agree. Android is the best choice for sure :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mizuiru

#57 Post by Mizuiru »

Thanks for the clarification, it's much appreciated. :) When you put it that way, I can see how the way that Apple does things stands blatantly against the kind of openness which the Ren'Py community encourages.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by DaFool »

It looks like the first batch of Pandoras has shipped! Apparently all 4,000 of them are accounted for, so that leaves me waiting for the second batch if/when ever they're announcing that. Heck, I'd even be willing to buy you one! (all in the name of Ren'Py development and in exchange for help making a 2D sprite walk controlled by the analog stick).

I, too, would love to go an open-source route, the problem is that there isn't much of an audience. The masses love brands :P which makes their brand owners even more controlling.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#59 Post by PyTom »

The Pandora looks really interesting. It certainly seems powerful enough to run Ren'Py.

My one problem is that there are only 4,000 units sold - compare this to 100,000 Android handsets being sold daily. (36 million a year!) So my feeling is that while Pandora is a platform I'd like to support, it's not at the top of my list, for the moment. I suspect that an android port would make a pandora port easier, as they're both OpenGL ES systems.

IceD
Veteran

#60 Post by IceD »

Please, consider making an android port. Looking back to all the information on various sites, this would be the most appropriate choice now. Android is used in more and more smartphones and even some other handheld devices. I bet most of them would be able to run Ren'Py with no bigger problems - most of actual up-to-date smartphones use Qualcomm's MSM processor series with a speed ranging from 528MHz up to 800mhz, while newer ones have 1ghz+ speed processors. When we compare this, for example to samsung's Galaxy availability, capabilities and price range this could prove to be one of the best ways to go.