Paying for a Ren'Py / Python programmer

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Paying for a Ren'Py / Python programmer

#1 Post by DaFool »

I'm wondering if this is a good idea. I want to make a Disgaea-style SRPG with an isometric grid and there are no battle engines yet that are that fully fleshed out. (And besides, I will need to tailor the mechanics to be specific to the game later on)

I thought about Flash but I don't like the way assets are managed. I also looked at adventure game engines but they seem too tailored to western adventure games (i.e. talk/pick up/look). I almost went into an agreement with a Unity scripter/programmer until I found that creating the 3D assets would be the bigger problem, so I'm going back to 2D. At least with 2D, I can competently do everything myself within a reasonable timeframe.

But instead of making the assets first(which go to waste if the project never takes off), I want to focus on mechanics first. Good mechanics even with stick figures is still good mechanics. I also have an excellent story already fleshed out in this game (heavily inspired by events happening to people I know in real life ) starring a female protagonist in an unforgiving world (a blend of steampunk, post-apocalyptic, and the near future). The pacing and design of the battles is more important to me so it will be easier to mold the story around it later on. (I learned my lesson from Agarest: Generations of War -- nice art, nice characters, boooooooring and repetitive battles so I didn't finish it after the first generation.)

I can provide specs for units, objectives, map layouts and such for about a dozen or so battles. If the system is flexible enough we could extend it to 20+ battles and automatically have a longer-running game since my aim is a polish and value of no less than $20 in a market where even $10 games are so comprehensive and polished. And with that standard, I can also be in a better position to pitch for publishers for Wiiware, PSN, and Xbox Live Arcade. (Iphone/Ipad is not an option for obvious reasons.) The prototype will be PC-based, so the value of the resulting product must be high enough to justify the investment needed to totally reengineer the game for other platforms, which will be done by the publisher's discretion. All I need right now is someone to help me get it up and running for the desktop platforms. And of course I'm also more than willing to partner up with 'full-indies' who publish completely on their own.

I want to pay on a milestone-based installment, with no subsequent royalties since I want to be able to shop the game around to publishers afterwards. (Unless if the programmer also happens to be a publisher as well). But the programmer can also choose to make a more powerful and flexible framework and just license the particular implementation to me, then look for other shoppers for the engine. Also with a milestone-based payment scheme, even if the project is stalled the programmer's time hasn't been wasted, and we will be both free to continue the current work in progress with other parties. All the initial risk will be borne by myself.

I'm kinda busy right now (moving my physical office, as well as other projects to finish), but by July/August I would want to be in full gear. If what I've outlined seems like a good idea, then I should be drafting up those crucial design documents focusing on the gist of what I really need (while leaving out the backstories, character designs, etc.) until later on, provided that the engine creates a set of standard-size image templates.

If seriously interested, please post here, thanks. Priority will be given to people I know (online) already.

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

Re: Paying for a Ren'Py / Python programmer

#2 Post by Scout »

I have no idea if your business plan makes sense or not, since that part is way out of my field. But if you think that's worth going through with, I would certainly be seriously interested.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Well my aim right now is just to build a strong franchise starting with a good game (then not sell-out if/when said franchise starts being profitable). I'm also considering a name-your-price scheme, as well as just using the game to promote a series of artbooks or figurines instead. I have a family business plus my current employment to keep food on the table. It's just that for this idea which is very close but still just beyond my reach, I need real help which no amount of proselytizing about how awesome an idea is can bring.

If the programmer wants to be more involved in terms of scenario and characters then that can be accommodated as well (e.g., can include special scenarios, but no H routes). I already have my True End route which will make people go 'oh shit that's insane' so everything else is optional depending on which characters the player wants to promote, which battles she participates in, which of those she wins (or surrenders - there will be an option for that as well), which alliances formed (with additional bonus unit types acquired). These can all be done in visual novel format broken up into parallel chapters. The only modes we have in this game are visual-novel mode (with chapter select), battle mode (no need for mid-battle-saving capability, though that would be an added bonus), and finally an equipment/inventory status mode. There's no need even for a walkable engine besides the default sprite positioning during battle.

The characters start off as sprites, then don a suit of off-the-shelf armor (mecha). I'm also exploring the option of aircraft but that means multi-layered grids, an added complication. And definitely not randomized dungeons, since I don't want this game to be a grind-fest. I want the player to get a decent story route without even trying, but only get the True Route by aceing all the battles.

I will make a condensed design doc and a milestone timeline for interested parties so they know if its within the realm of their skill and what rates they can reasonably charge. There's nothing really secretive or groundbreaking in the mechanics since everything I have described so far can be found in just about any other game; it's more the way things are put together that I'm concerned about. I want the game to sell itself not through event cgs of pantsu plastered all over the box art, but through its theme and scenario reminiscent of the best thought-provoking late-night anime based on young adult novels. Also, I know I'm going to thoroughly enjoy tailoring each battle to suit a unique set of objectives and unit types, but I don't know how to program the framework.

Besides the programmer, I might look for professional voice actors later on. But I'm afraid I will maintain an iron fist over character design, backgrounds and music.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

Good luck with the project. That kind of game is one I would definitely buy/play as a gamer. I've been thinking about making one too, but have too many things to do already :)
If I can suggest something, make a very detailed storyboard first. Flesh out all character/classes/skills using an excel/spreadsheet program to balance everything (which is very important in that kind of games).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games