building renpy game without launcher?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Celextine

building renpy game without launcher?

#1 Post by Celextine »

Like what the title says, is it possible to build a renpy project without using the launcher? Me and my team is currently developing a story boarding tool for creating renpy visual novels. I'll be posting some screen shots when it is finalized. It's built using java and as of now it contains a scene editor and a functional storyboard. Most functionality are working. The only thing we would like to improve on is a simplification of the project building process. Our tool aims to cater to the people who are intimidated by the scripting language. It's kind of hard to explain but if this question gets answered and all goes well, i can be able to upload it here. As of now it's too... visually unappealing and we're fixing the code gen. So once all is done, I'll be able to let you guys try it.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: building renpy game without launcher?

#2 Post by PyTom »

In 6.11, which I should be pre-releasing soon, the build distributions code has been factored out into a script, called launcher/distribute.py. It will require Python to run, but it will be able to build distributions without having to run Ren'Py proper.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

shahab96
Veteran

#3 Post by shahab96 »

Celextine wrote:It's built using java and as of now it contains a scene editor and a functional storyboard.
Interesting....if you allow it, may I have a look at the source code?
The true measure of a man is what he does with his power.

Celextine

#4 Post by Celextine »

PyTom wrote:In 6.11, which I should be pre-releasing soon, the build distributions code has been factored out into a script, called launcher/distribute.py. It will require Python to run, but it will be able to build distributions without having to run Ren'Py proper.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! <3

shahab96 wrote:
Celextine wrote:It's built using java and as of now it contains a scene editor and a functional storyboard.
Interesting....if you allow it, may I have a look at the source code?
Sure. It's kind of buggy at the moment though. Actually, it's me and my team mate's thesis. I'm a programmer by profession writer by heart. Anyways, I'll upload the source code here. You need netbeans to run it though. My friends were kinda lazy to make... a decent GUI for it. It might not work due to referencing issues though.

What is done:

working story board
Working scene editor with working dialogues, image transitions, clickable images, choices, time based events, background music.
Still to do: Variables (a.k.a states) and state based events, code clean up, user manual and proper documentation.
Attachments
finaLtimer.zip
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 64 times

shahab96
Veteran

#5 Post by shahab96 »

Thank you for the code (I'm pretty experienced in java myself though not a professional.....yet :) )

Celextine

#6 Post by Celextine »

You're welcome. Three of us wrote the code so it's really really messy. There isn't any saving or loading yet so it's more of a one time per vn usage as of now. I really hope you understand our code.

On a side note, i am not really that good with java. I'm experienced but not really that good.

shahab96
Veteran

#7 Post by shahab96 »

No...the code is actually very neat and understandable. I can get the basic picture for the stuff i've read, except for some of the imports which I have no experience with. All in all, I'd say this is not bad. I would definitely like to beta test once this is finished. :D

Celextine

#8 Post by Celextine »

We're supposed to finish this around mid July. if not it would be some time in August. We NEED to finish this in order to graduate. :D We're tetsing it thoroughly right now so when and if we release this, there are minimal bugs already. I just hope we finish this in time. I really want to graduate on time.

shahab96
Veteran

#9 Post by shahab96 »

well if you need an extra brain on the job I'd be glad to help. just ask. :)

Celextine

#10 Post by Celextine »

Thanks for the offer. Yay for more brains. we need em. A LOT. lol

shahab96
Veteran

#11 Post by shahab96 »

ok. just give me an outline or like a list of stuff and I'll try to do what I can.