Ren'Py 6.11.0 Pre-Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Mihara
Regular

Re: Ren'Py 6.11.0 Pre-Released

#16 Post by Mihara »

Another minor problem. That one is annoying.

If I use the suffix and prefix of .register_channel to get rid of all of my prefixes (like "bgm/") and suffixes (".ogg"), lint produces numerous spurious "'<filename>' is not loadable" messages when files are quite definitely there and load fine.

backansi
Veteran

#17 Post by backansi »

Maybe this isn't important thing but here's a question... (I cannot sure this problem is a bug or not)
I used to write single python script in this way -without space between $ and variable name

Code: Select all

$money=1
$ui.text('...')
but error.txt shows up in 6.11.0.

On line 8 of E:\RP_Project\example/game/script.rpy: expected statement.
$money = 1
       ^
On line 9 of E:\RP_Project\example/game/script.rpy: expected statement.
$ui.text('...')
               ^
So now should I write script like this after 6.11.0?

$ ui.text('..')
edited:
ah so it's because "the python compiler has been rewritten to use the python ast module" ? (how careless am I :oops: ).
Last edited by backansi on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

shahab96
Veteran

#18 Post by shahab96 »

i got an error.
apparently it doesnt even launch my game. i get an error in a windows window (what?) saying that there is something wrong with the c++ library. I am trying to launch the game again but the launch button turned grey but it wont start the game or turn back....its been 5 mins now.

Edit: i got it again here

Runtime error!
Program (and then the folder location)

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application support team for more information.
I also sent the error report when it asked although i dont know if it actually comes to you or to microsoft.
The true measure of a man is what he does with his power.

Jake
Support Hero

#19 Post by Jake »

shahab96 wrote:i dont know if it actually comes to you or to microsoft.
It goes to Microsoft - it always goes to Microsoft.

What you can do is look in the application event log (Start -> Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Event Viewer pre-Vista, don't remember offhand if it's in the same place in Vista+ or not, click the 'Application' item on the tree on the left) to see if Ren'Py's leaving any errors in there, which can sometimes be useful information for finding the problem (equally it can sometimes be totally useless).
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

backansi
Veteran

#20 Post by backansi »

Mmm.. Tagged screen doesn't disappear by hide statement.

screen hello_world:
     tag example
     text "Hello, World."

screen tag_test:
    tag example
    text "Tag test"

label start:
    scene bg default
    show screen hello_world
    'show hello world'

show screen tag_test
    'show tag_test'

hide screen tag_test
    'hide tag test'

Jake
Support Hero

#21 Post by Jake »

On the subject of composite style properties - since I see some new ones have been added - would it be possible to also have an "xsize" which sets xminimum and xmaximum at the same time, and corresponding "ysize" and maybe even "size"?

Also: thanks for the LiveTile! ;-)

(EDIT: Looks like there's an unfinished sentence under the 'id' property here...)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#22 Post by jack_norton »

I just spent a few minutes browsing the new documentation, the new screen system etc. Is simply amazing! I also like the commands you added like setfield and so on (meaning we need to use less python blocks).
Now you'll hate me for saying this but: I think would be very beneficial to have simple code examples for most of the new functions to better help understand how they work for newbies but also experienced users :)
It seems to me that now things that previously required lots of tweaking (like the farming sim of Flower Shop) would become much easier to code.
Congrats for this release, I think is the most important ever in history of Ren'Py so far!

edit: just to be clear, I noticed many good example for each basic function, I was referring to more complex stuff like this for example http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_py ... ml#actions
Of course I understand right now the priority is to debug it. Will try on my mac shortly.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#23 Post by Melkoshi »

Downloaded it to try the new screensize, but I can't run it. =/ It errors out at the main menu in the tutorial. All I did was extract the zip to desktop and tried to run it that way. Actually clicking ANYWHERE seems to make it error.

On a toshiba laptop, basic vista.
Attachments
opengl.txt
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by DaFool »

I'm assuming the Screen Language (or any 6.11-specific) tutorials haven't yet been integrated? Just re-reading the ATL tutorial and it seems buggy... especially the demonstration of parallel ATL blocks, where the logo is supposed to bounce around but ends up just going up and down. Maybe it's just minor syntax and not indicative of a broken function. Loving the OpenGL acceleration btw.

Testing on a new Windows 7 i3 machine with integrated graphics (It's a sub-notebook but not a netbook since it's a dev platform as well as a target deployment platform), thankfully only one crash so far when trying to open Help

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

error: Event queue full

While running game code:
 - script at line 756 of renpy-6.11.0/common/00library.rpy
 - python at line 760 of renpy-6.11.0/common/00library.rpy.
 - script at line 23 of renpy-6.11.0/common/_layout/classic_main_menu.rpym

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 251, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\execution.py", line 243, in run
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\ast.py", line 567, in execute
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\python.py", line 953, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.11.0/common/00library.rpy", line 760, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\game.py", line 295, in call_in_new_context
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\execution.py", line 243, in run
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\ast.py", line 567, in execute
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\python.py", line 953, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.11.0/common/_layout/classic_main_menu.rpym", line 56, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\ui.py", line 211, in interact
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 1545, in interact
  File "C:\Users\GDI\Documents\Project_Files\renpy-6.11.0\renpy\display\core.py", line 2108, in interact_core
error: Event queue full

While running game code:
 - script at line 756 of renpy-6.11.0/common/00library.rpy
 - python at line 760 of renpy-6.11.0/common/00library.rpy.
 - script at line 23 of renpy-6.11.0/common/_layout/classic_main_menu.rpym

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.0a
Thanks for your hard work so far, I'm really excited for this release. Problem is I don't know where to start, since I want to be able to code a game from the ground up totally from scratch, starting from the default menus.

It would be nice for The Question to be fully ported to ATL and Screen Language (even if it doesn't need to be... maybe just add a few animations or widgets just in case) just so we have a simple example. I'm sure the main Tutorial already includes bits and pieces of implementation... it's just too messy though with all its scripts.

I'm reading the Screen Language documentation and I get it in theory, I just need to see it in action . Maybe the best way will be to pull out the script of Theme Roundrect from being embedded into the default Ren'Py subdirectories and convert it into Screen Language implementation in plain sight. Something like default_menu.rpy in combination with options.rpy (where Roundrect is currently declared), just so that a Screen Language newbie can see aha! so that's how the main widgets are constructed and start customizing immediately. Alternatively, s/he can just leave it as-is and have a ready-working default menu / save / load / preferenes system.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#25 Post by PyTom »

Can people who are having aspect ratio problems please take a screenshot and post it here? Thanks.

I'll investigate while the mac version is failing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mihara
Regular

#26 Post by Mihara »

PyTom wrote:Can people who are having aspect ratio problems please take a screenshot and post it here? Thanks.
Here. The effect is exactly the same when the window is not reduced vertically, I just squished to make it more apparent.

EDIT: This happens both on my main machine (NVidia, Windows) and on Eee PC 901 (Intel GMA 950, Linux).
Attachments
'Py Tutorial Game.png

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#27 Post by CaesMRaenes »

PyTom wrote:Which version of Mac OS X are you using? Also, is it a PPC version, or an x86 one?
I'm currently using Mac OSX version 10.6.4 Snow Leopard with an Intel Core 2 Duo, one of the more recent MacBook Pro. I got it some time last year during the colder seasons (forgot the month). I'm not sure what you mean by PPC or x86 but I'm assuming you're asking about the processor (and I didn't run Ren'Py though the x86 hack program for Macs either).

What's happening exactly is that when I click to open the program from the Mac port of Ren'Py, it acts like it's opened (icon "beats" or vibrates the image to show activation) but nothing actually opens. No new files are created either (not sure if an opengl.txt will either) so it's almost as if I hadn't touched it at all.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#28 Post by PyTom »

I just fixed the aspect ratio problem. It was a combination of bad math, and the problem being subtle enough it actually looked okay to me.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mihara
Regular

#29 Post by Mihara »

I think I found a screen bug.
Trying to create a new screen, but getting a very cryptic error. Here's a minimal test case script:

label start:

"Minimal test case"

init python:    
    _game_menu_screen = "intermediate_menu"    

screen intermediate_menu:
    vbox:
        spacing 4 xalign 0.04 yalign 0.96

# It crashes regardless of whether I ShowMenu("tips") or Show("tips")
        # Which should I use?
        textbutton "TIPS" xminimum 90 action ShowMenu("tips")

textbutton "System" xminimum 90 action ShowMenu("save")

screen tips:
    # It works fine if I don't set modal True
    modal True

text "I'm going to put the tips screen here one day."

Upon selecting "TIPS" I get a traceback with "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'IgnoreEvents'".

IceD
Veteran

#30 Post by IceD »

Cheers for the new version!

When it came out, I was so curious I immediately took a try and run it at work, it seems to work perfectly except the OpenGL support on Celeron D 2,53, 1GB of DDR ram and Intel 915G chipset - it crashes when the transitions are turned on. Nothing except that.

Now I've tested it at home on my C2D 2,66 ghz, 2 GB's of DDRII ram and a Gigabyte Geforce GTS250 video card with 1GB of DDRIII memory and it seems to handle everything well. So it looks like it has some issues with older and slower machines while running with full OpenGL support. No other problems detected so far, except with a small gimmick with window being unable to show on screen after turning on the default "help" button - I had to use the maxime option and it always goes to fill the whole screen and I can't make it anyhow smaller, while the stretching should work. Also, when it's mimimized like that, you won't maxime it just by clicking on program button. While this isn't much of a big hassle, it still might become serious to less experienced users, requiring them to manually end the Ren'Py application.

Also, One thing hit my mind. While OpenGL by default is a great thing, I'd think it would be nice to add a new option to the settings menu and let people chose if they like to run the game in it or rather in software mode. This could also improve the overall stability of game and let people see if the game runs properly while in standard software rendering, solving many problems and still giving a possibility to run the program properlu if something's wrong with OpenGL. I know that the Ren'Py now is able to automatically detect on what video renderer it can run, but such thing can also be prone to errors. If it is possible to make people chose their desired rendering method, I would gladly recommend that :)

I'm glad that we are able to see such progress - Ren'Py gets better and better from version to version. Really, if one could be a decent artist and programmer, an impressive and very professional looking VN could be made with it now and I hope to finally see such a thing someday. Kudos for your incredible work PyTom and keep it up! I hope to see next eleven versions, if you only wish for them :)