Work with net

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Eliont
Regular
Completed: Begin of Evangelion, SAO - Smile of the black cat, SAO - Project "Ceramic Heart", Time for Dragons

Work with net

#1 Post by Eliont »

Work with net - it posible?
I mean Internet, not 'localhost'.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Work with net

#2 Post by LVUER »

I don't really get your question... I think you should add more details... do you mean making online games with RenPy?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Eliont
Regular
Completed: Begin of Evangelion, SAO - Smile of the black cat, SAO - Project "Ceramic Heart", Time for Dragons

#3 Post by Eliont »

Yes. And this too.
But i want use RenPy Engine as GUI, like PQt or Tkinter.
It's much easier and more comfortable - no problem with layouts, images, encodings and many other.
Also in this case no need in inconvenient py2exe and pyinstaller - windows exe file will be created by engine.

LordShiranai
Regular
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest

#4 Post by LordShiranai »

Eliont wrote:Work with net - it posible?
I mean Internet, not 'localhost'.
Yes, it is possible. I am working on a framework to allow Twitter updates. (Right now I need to update it to match the updates to the screen language in 6.11.0k, however, this has nothing to do with network connectivity.) However, keep in mind this uses very infrequent connectivity.

Ren'Py is not really designed with constant network activity in mind. So if you need something with heavy network connectivity (constantly communicating) while a user is interacting with it, it will probably be extremely cumbersome.

What specifically did you have in mind?
Don't Blame Me. I Voted for Vermin Supreme.

Eliont
Regular

#5 Post by Eliont »

Minibrowser to prewiev and download pictures posted on forums from image hosting.
Get page->analyse->grab links->filter links with images->download thumbnail (image hostings always create it), on demand - download full image.
Currently i made script using Tkinter.

Incendium
Regular

#6 Post by Incendium »

You're better off using a GUI framework (based on experience, wxPython translates fairly well with Ren'Py concepts, PyGTK probably does too). Using Ren'Py to do this sort of stuff is overkill and as LordShiranai mentioned, will still be fairly difficult.

Also, Ren'Py won't fix any encoding issues you stumble upon either when working with websites. You'll still have to re-encode to whatever Ren'Py is configured for.