Musician Wanted

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Musician Wanted

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'd like to know if anyone would be willing to volunteer to create some music tracks for the Ren'Py demo. I would like to replace the current background music (a midi) with another format, probably some sort of mod. There's also some things I have planned for the next version of Ren'Py that could really use short loops to demo them.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Quin
Regular

#2 Post by Quin »

Do you have any specifics in mind besides format? Perhaps a preferred style or length? I will do my best to help, but I don't want to piece together a 5-minute waltz when you really wanted a 42-second rumba. ^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Now we get to see Tom's massive knowledge of music, which fits into this box -> [ ]. Playback I know, nyquist limits I know... but things like what it should sound like :-(

Anyway, I want a two tracks. First I want a fairly long main track. This would be the main music that the user listens to as he plays through the demo. It should probably be fairly unobtrusive, so that it doesn't consume too much of the user's attention. I'd also like it to be somewhat light in tone, as there aren't any real dark, dramatic moments in the demo. :-)

I'd also like one short loop (3 seconds or so), that I can use to demonstrate the tight loop features I have planned for the next release. This will need to be a seamless loop, as some of these features need to span repeats. This should also be light in tone, but it can take up more of the user's attention, as in this case the user will be focusing on the music.

Hm... sorry if this is a bit nonsensical... do you at least have a vague idea of what I'm talking about. I think in this framework, there should be alot of room for creativity, as I really don't know what it is I want.

Quin
Regular

#4 Post by Quin »

PyTom wrote:Now we get to see Tom's massive knowledge of music, which fits into this box -> [ ]. Playback I know, nyquist limits I know... but things like what it should sound like :-(
Well, you've given me enough info to work with, for certain. Keep your eye out for a PM in a few days with links to some files... which you can then accept, reject or ask for revisions on. (It will take a couple of days, only because I don't want to just dig up old stuff – and part of the reason for that is because I want to be sure I'm 100% in the clear in not violating copyright with any old samples.)

ozurr
Regular

#5 Post by ozurr »

Don't remember if it's been mentioned on the forum, but some nice loops can be found here:
http://www.flashkit.com/loops/

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#6 Post by Megaman Z »

[OT: well, now I know why some of the people over at newgrounds get bad reviews because of something involving flashkit.com.]

there's still a lot of grey area as to what you want, PyTom, but at least we have a general idea. you'd have to throw some song names of songs (or music tracks) that are close to what you want, as I assume that some of the stuff by Onoken, SHIKI, and myu (all three of which have their own site and put their own music on it...) would probably be way off.

am I correct in assuming you want some songs that fall under ambient but with little bass?
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

I really don't know what I want, in terms of ambient or bass. I actually don't have many preconcieved notions...

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#8 Post by Alessio »

I've cut up my music for my next (first) game into snippets of ~8,7 seconds each. If you want, you're free to use them, or any part of them, just let me know. They're in ogg format, all in all 1.5 MB, but if you need only one theme it's ~500 kB. Or you can use less than that (e.g. 4 snippets), each snippet is ~80 kB.

You can get an idea from http://www.mikseri.net/magnify - the song "Go! Magical Boy (Instrumental)" is a collage of those snippets.