Problems with Slow Typing in NVL Mode

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Problems with Slow Typing in NVL Mode

#1 Post by mysterialize »

Whenever I try to get a slow type script going for NVL mode, I get the error where the previous line, when the line after it is activated, starts writing itself again.

This is the character I'm using for it: "define char = Character(what_slow_cps=20, kind=nvl)".

I'm aware that this question has been asked before, but there's one main reason why I'm asking here, despite that: supposedly this was bug that's since been fixed in the more recent versions. I'm using 6.11.2, the most recent version, and yet the problem keeps coming up. I've even tried a couple older versions, but to no new results. This seems particularly strange, considering that I've seen several games that have used it without a problem.

Though, I am rather new to programming, so it's entirely possible that I've just messed up, somehow, rather than it being a lingering bug. XD

Thanks in advance for the help.

Maverynthia
Regular

Re: Problems with Slow Typing in NVL Mode

#2 Post by Maverynthia »

OK I'm necroing this because looking at the previous date, this problem wasn't fixed in three years.

I'm having the same problem using the slow text and line repetition. I'm trying to get it to act like it does in (O)NScripter for scary scenes where part of the sentence is the spooooky reveal. I'm using Renpy 6.15.7 which is the SUPER latest at this point.

The only thing I can find was that it was fixed and then unfixed in a build.

My character setup is this:

Code: Select all

init:
    $ narrator = Character(None, kind=nvl,ctc="nvlarrow")
    $ en = Character(None, kind=nvl, ctc="nvldone")
    $ s = Character(None, kind=nvl, what_prefix="\"", what_suffix="\"", what_color="#c8ffc8", ctc="nvldone")
    $ slow = Character(None, kind=nvl, what_slow_cps=4, ctc="nvlarrow")
    $ eslow = Character(None, kind=nvl, what_slow_cps=4, ctc="nvlarrow")
I'm using eslow and slow to have the Nscripter style of 'arrow' at the end of a line and 'page' at the end of a screen...

The text:

Code: Select all

label start:
    scene black
    "You've created a new Ren'Py game."
    "Once you add a story, pictures, and music, you can release it to the world!"
    s "Testing stuff"
    "Using the p tag causes a new line {p} like this"
    "Using the w tag {w} simply waits."
    eslow "We can make it scary {fast}{nw}" 
    #{nw} no wait otherwise it will pause
    extend "like this"
    slow "Like indeed we can make it scarier! {fast}"
    extend "just by adding some more text!"

menu:
        "testing menu"
        "cake":
           jump cake
        "pie":
           jump pie

label cake:
          en "So it begins"
          nvl clear
          jump cont
label pie:
        en "Doesn't begin"
        nvl clear
        jump cont
label cont:
       en "More story happens here!"

return
When the 'slow' line starts 'eslow' will also begin again, after that when the menu appears BOTH 'slow' and 'eslow' start. If I want to bypass then quickly it take 3 clicks :/
What is the solution to having them end and not retype themselves?