Obfuscate file extensions, but allow RenPy to use them

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ubertoast

Obfuscate file extensions, but allow RenPy to use them

#1 Post by Ubertoast »

I realise that the topic title might be a little confusing, so let me explain what I'm trying to do.

I'm looking for a way to get a video to play randomly, as an easter egg - I have the random chance code working and tested, and the video in a format that seems to be supported by the engine. However, since I want it as an easter egg, I need a way to stop the file from being opened by people who browse through the file directory. The simplest way I can think of to do this would be to change the file extension from say, .avi to .rpx or something, but tell the engine "this is actually an .avi file", so that people would be more likely to gloss over as a "do not touch or things will break" kind of file while the engine recognises it for what it actually is.

I had the idea of archiving the game files to prevent the easter eggs from being found, however, as I intend to release updates to expand the game eventually, I am unsure whether archiving would complicate matters.

Is what I'm trying to do possible within the engine, or am I going to have to try archiving / some other method?

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Obfuscate file extensions, but allow RenPy to use them

#2 Post by Aleema »

Archiving is what you want to hide all your files from casual browsing. Knowing how to use and handle the .RPA files is what you should learn, if your only reason not to do it is because of future expansions. You'll have to expansion-proof your code more than your files themselves. Multiple RPA files can be used for one game (from what I've tried), so you can make a video/resources RPA and a code RPA where you just overwrite the code one for expansions. Or just drop in a whole new package expansion RPA with code in it that works with existing code.

But yeah, what you're asking is exactly what archiving is.