video transparency

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kuroi
Regular

video transparency

#1 Post by kuroi »

Within the Renpy engine, is it possible to create a video that includes transparency?

For example, if I didn't know ahead of time what background would need to show up against an animation of a character, could I use a video for the animation and still have the area around the character be transparent or would I have to use a series of PNGs for this?
President, Planner, and Programmer for Kuroi Games!

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

Re: video transparency

#2 Post by Tachyglossus »

Since (correct me if I am wrong, but I read this in several other posts) animated GIF's do not work in Ren'Py, I do not see how any other video could be made 'transparent' in places. Flash maybe, but I don't think Ren'Py and Flash talk to each other either (could someone clarify this?).

Your best bet would be to use a series of png files to make an animation with a transparencies.

kuroi
Regular

#3 Post by kuroi »

I wonder if it would work to use the AlphaMask function with movie files as it's input using the easy_displayable... I bet this will explode when I try it...

init:
image movie = Movie(size=(352, 240))
image movie_mask = Movie(size=(352, 240))

image transparent_movie = im.AlphaMask(easy_displayable (movie, none=False), easy_displayable (movie_mask, none=False))
President, Planner, and Programmer for Kuroi Games!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I don't know of any movie format that supports transparency, at least that ffmpeg supports.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#5 Post by luminarious »

I can imagine a way of doing it using chroma key, basically replacing certain solid coloured areas with the background. But that involves some very special programming, I'm sure.

PNG sequence is a lot easier right now.