Otakon 2005

Contact and connect with fellow fans! (New threads now go in general discussion)
Forum rules
This forum has been closed. New threads now go in general discussion.
JackalAndromeda
Regular

Otakon 2005

#1 Post by JackalAndromeda »

So.. who's going? It's my 'home con' so to speak, so I sure will. I want to pick up the new American release ren'ai games and get some art books and such. =3 Ooooh, last year was so great! I bet this year will be too.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I will be attending Otakon 2005. My current mission goals are to acquire more Gashapon figures, and to talk up b.us/r.us as much as possible.

Hm... If we have enough people from the forums coming, does anyone want to schedule some sort of meeting?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

darkknight
Veteran

#3 Post by darkknight »

Can someone send me a link to the webpage or tell me more info where is it located?
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

http://www.otakon.com

August 19 - August 21, 2005
Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, MD

There is a limit on the number of atendees.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

darkknight
Veteran

#5 Post by darkknight »

wow the inner harbor is 20 mins away from me...i might...all depends on whos going...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I've returned from Otakon, after spending about 8 hours there.

I have acquired quite a bit of swag from the dealers room and artist's alley.
  • 11 professional volumes of manga. (Including 2 I've been waiting for all summer.)
  • 3 volumes of amateur manga.
  • 12 individual chapters of amateur manga.
  • 3 promotional volumes of professional manga.
  • 5 gashapon capsules.
  • 1 blanket.
  • Various other promotional trinkets.
My morning was spent going once through the artist's alley, then to the dealer's room, then back to the artist's alley. I actually enjoyed the artist's alley quite a bit... most of the stuff there is fairly cheap, and it's always fun to go in and sweep up all of an artists's work for a few bucks. Not that I bought anything I didn't want, but some of the books were $2 each, and at that price, might as well buy all 4. I got a few sketches thrown in as well.

I also went through the dealer's room. I got to speak with some people at the Hirameki booth. Apart from the booth babes, I also got to speak to someone who seemed like he knew what was going on. He told me that the Ai Yori Aoshi game is due out on Sept. 6. I gave him one of my new AB cards.

That brings me to the next point... About a month ago, I had printed up some business cards with short descriptions of bishoujo.us and renai.us on them. I handed them out to some of the artists and other people I spoke with... And I also left some lying around the con. If you got one, keep it.

After that, I was pretty tired, so I went to the showing of "The Place Promised in our Early Days". I had already seen it, but I had also already seen everything else I would want to see, and it was on the big screen, which made it better, since it has great art.

I then went to Naze Nani Megatokyo. I was the first person on the second line for it. It started late. Being MT, this should come as no surprise. Basically, NNMT was a combination of plugs for new stuff in their store, and a more interesting slideshow showing how places in Japan were incorporated into the strip. There was also a bit of a rant about how Fred dislikes the OEL (Original English Language) prefix... but no suggestions on what to replace it with.

After that, I was getting tired... a combination of a cold and of realizing (around 1am), that it's actually possible to determine the exact years in which the events of Gakuen Redux take place, and then proceeding to write a short program to do so. So I left around 6:30 or so. Am not proceeding to rehydrate, lost alot of water.

tart

#7 Post by tart »

::exit lurker mode::
Wow, PyTom you got a lot of neat stuff. I was only there for 6 hours and I got a The Bunny pin, two faerie cards, a panda keychain, and a t-shirt. I didn't see any AB cards I guess I wasn't looking at the right tables.
Spent most of my time in the Artist Alley and Art Show then the Megatokyo Panel. If you remember seeing a light purple bunny girl on a bench that was me. I am sorry I don't recall what you look like. Though I watched them form the second line from the bench. First the Sakura Festival and now Otakon. ;)
::poof::

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

Well, you may have seen me then. I was the first in line on the second line, a big guy wearing a green t-shirt.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#9 Post by mikey »

A "ReduxCalc" program 8) - if it's something standalone, I'd be happy to put it up for download.

Hmmmm, avatars aren't really the best way to identify people. I remember something (roughly translated as) "show your face week" on one of the mini-communities I used to be a member of, it was fun. One guy told us he looked just like the avatar, and guess what - he did! The resemblance (to some anime character - I don't know the name) was just too much ^_^. In a good way though. I can't say this about my avatar.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

The program isn't really meant as a standalone thing... Just a tool for which I can interpret the results. In many cases, it's faster for me to write a program to do twenty things than for me to do it by hand.

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#11 Post by JackalAndromeda »

^.^ Otakon was really fun this year. I didn't go to the MT panel, though. The first day was pretty rough because I was in the pre-reg line on friday for 2 hours in the pouring rain, and then my sopping wet self was in the air conditioning after that... I ended up pretty sick. :cry: Saturday was better though! I watcehd Scrapped Princess (which was awesome) and Yakitate!! Japan, which is about baking bread. Words cannot describe how much fun that show was. I also got a State Alchemist's pocket watch. :D On Saturday I met Christy Lijewski who does the comic Next Exit. She wsas very nice and it was a lot of fun. I hope everyone who went had a good time!