Would making an anime fan-game be illegal?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
onebulb
Completed: Will You Race Me?
Projects: [redacted]

Re: Would making an anime fan-game be illegal?

#16 Post by onebulb »

In my first game jam there were two of us who made Yowamushi Pedal games (mine used screenshots from the anime, the other used fanart). They're hosted on itch.io and have not been taken down, so there's that.

@Sayumi101: did you ever finish the KnB game? I'm toying with the idea of making one myself :D (Look at my YouTube analytics below - people want one!)
Attachments
youtube analytics.PNG

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Would making an anime fan-game be illegal?

#17 Post by Imperf3kt »

I see some of these posts are several months old, but just thought I'd inform some people that music remixes are infact illegal. Same goes for covers of songs.
It's not copyright you are breaking - as you aren't copying content produced by some other company, it is Intellectual Property.

A certain guitar solo, or riff, or whatever. If you took it from a particular song, and redid it even in a remix, you are breaking IP laws. If you took the actual song, you have additionally broken Copyright.
If you remix it to the point it cannot be aurally distinguished as the work you derived it from, then it is legal.

Don't just quote "your own experiences" or "I read it on the internet at some random news website", go to an actual lawyer, or an actual (official) copyright information board and get the facts.
For example, in Australia, the following laws apply: http://www.musicrights.com.au/fact-sheets/
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter