Really Quick survey on Gaming Tastes

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

Really Quick survey on Gaming Tastes

#1 Post by vaanknight »

I made this really short survey for a few pals, I've been building a lot of extra features for my project, but I'm not really sure of how they might feel about having to unlock so many things, if they even pay attention to things like a music box, and whatnot. So I though I might as well post it here to read what you have in mind about it.

So post your answers, if you may, you can of course discuss the questions, rather than simply answer with a, b or c, as you see fit. I think it would help me decide wether I'll include an extras room for my current project or not. TY!

Short lil tiny chibi Survey!!!!!!!

Ahem... to avoid making it too annoying for da players, I need some feedback on ppl's tastes for games. Gimme a hand, won't ya? :]

1. How much of a completitionist are you?

a) I just finish the game once and be done with it.
b) I try to get all the endings, but I don't bother to unlock it all.
c) I unlock every bit of them! I feel I've done nothing if not.

2. What's the most important characteristic in a game? what makes you buy them?

a) The gameplay! if it's fun to play, who cares about the story?
b) The plot! if it's not interesting, I can't be bothered to finish it.
c) Customization! I don't care as long as I can make my own character.

3. How important is the music in a game?

a) I barely notice, I can even listen to my MP3 while playing without a second thought.
b) I don't pay too much attention to it, but if it's nice, I'll listen.
c) Ah, it says so much about the story, a good game has to have a beautiful Soundtrack.

4. Do you like listening to that music outside the game?

a) Nah, I never listen to soundtracks, if I can help it.
b) hm, if it's a really good song... why not?
c) Oh yes! I get the soundtracks as soon as I finish the game!

5. How challenging you like your games?

a) I'm not an arcade player. As long as it lets me get to the end, I don't care how well I do.
b) I feel good when I do well in a tough game... but I'm not that bothered.
c) I like it hardcore!! I never stop playing until I'm kickass at every game.

6. How important is the quality of the graphics for you?

a) I don't care, I play for fun, not to be bedazzled with the shiny menu buttons...
b) I can appreciate a nice looking game, but I can overlook that if the thing is fun.
c) Oh, I don't play cheesy looking games!! a misplaced shadow takes all the fun away.

Answer thruthfully, thinking about the games you've already played, not about what you might want to see from me, please. TY!!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Really Quick survey on Gaming Tastes

#2 Post by jack_norton »

1. a (when was younger and had more time, I was b though)
2. b, even if c is quite important :)
3. c
4. b
5. b
6. c (I can't force myself to playing games with poor art :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

IxIoN
Regular
Projects: Thinking

#3 Post by IxIoN »

1. a
2. b
3. c
4. b
5. b
6. c

OMG, exactly the same as Jack Norton O_o
This is my World.
Look forward to my game.
Thinking

J. Datie
Veteran

#4 Post by J. Datie »

Mostly I try to get whatever I find interesting, which may or may not be everything.

Regarding plot heavy games, I'd usually rather have bland, unoriginal (but still bug-free) gameplay and an interesting plot and characters, than exciting gameplay with a boring story and annoying characters.

c) Ah, it says so much about the story, a good game has to have a beautiful Soundtrack.

It may just be me, but I feel that background music is often undervalued.

Especially if it was used in a memorable scene, or gets played during entertaining times.

Not much to say about this one, other than that I'm more likely to get better at games that have enjoyable gameplay + likable characters.

b) I can appreciate a nice looking game, but I can overlook that if the thing is fun.

I will sit a stare at pretty, high-poly, 1080p graphics, but at the same time I think that the graphics from Touhou games are actually pretty good.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#5 Post by sake-bento »

1. How much of a completionist are you?
I'm interested in getting all the endings that I think are interesting. This could include endings that aren't "good" for the protagonist, but include an extra revelation or plot point that gives more fullness to the story. This also means that I have no issue ignoring certain romantic paths if I'm not interested in that character at all.

2. What's the most important characteristic in a game? What makes you buy one?
For a visual novel, it's sure as all get out the plot. If I'm not interested in the story, you won't keep me playing. For an RPG, gameplay takes precedence over plot (which is why I've played Star Ocean 3 five times and I never finished FF XIII). Customization hardly matters to me unless I'm playing an MMO.

For a visual novel, I care very much about the music because I think it should be an integral part of the story experience. RPGs, simulators, and other games need suitable music that makes me think "town," "battle," or whatever, but I don't need it to stand out as long as it's passable. I don't give a whit about music in casual games, and I usually turn it off to listen to my own stuff.

I like good music very much. I'm not likely to buy a soundtrack, but I'll probably get singles of the few tracks that really stand out to me.

5. How challenging do you like your games?
I don't like games that require huge amounts of reflexes or similar skills (shooters, 2D fighting games, and so on), but this is only because my personal skills are pretty lousy in that area, therefore the enjoyment goes down. I do like a good cranial challenge, though (Myst, Prof. Layton, and so on).

I tend to get very distracted by things that I don't deem attractive. BUT, if the gameplay or story interests me, I'll power through. Liar Game is far and above one of my favorite manga series, but the art isn't exactly something I'd rank on a top ten list.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#6 Post by Deji »

1. a), though sometimes I go and try to get alternate endings/extra content if I had a *really* good time playing.

2. b) with some a)

3. b)

4. b)

5. a)

6. c) leaning towards b)
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Showsni »

vaanknight wrote:1. How much of a completitionist are you?

This really depends on the game for me, but I tend to err more on the side of being a completionist. If I'm playing a Visual Novel, for instance, I'll usually try to get all the CGs and endings. In Metroid, I get all the power ups. In Mario Galaxy, I get all the stars. Though, I'm not a complete completionist. For example, I didn't get all the Golden Skulltulas in OoT; it seems like somewhat of a waste of time, where you're combing every inch of the gameworld for not much reward. Collecting all the masks in Majora's Mask is a much better challenge; each one is interesting and unique, with a different way to get it, and the prize you unlock for all of them is really worthwhile. Well, I guess Stray Fairies are more akin to the Gold Skulltulas, and I got all of them too. It would be a rare game with some kind of collecting element that I'd skip over and just go straight to the final battle, in fact... I'm usually not content until I've done every sidequest and completed as much as I can. So, in short, c, but I'll make an exception for boring quests.

Well, I can rule c right out, as it never figures in my "Will I buy this" thought process. A mixture between a and b, then. Plot and gameplay can both be important; but equally, sometimes they can both be unimportant. I will say, though, that gameplay is probably more important to me. I wouldn't play a kinetic novel, generally; I need at least some gameplay. Otherwise, I could just read a book or something. There are games like Tetris that can have absolutely minimal plot and still be good games; if a game has minimal gameplay, it's not a game. Having a good plot is definitely a plus, though.

a) I barely notice, I can even listen to my MP3 while playing without a second thought.
I'd say it's not a required element, but it can definitely improve a game. If a game has minimal or mediocre music, I don't really notice it. If it has fantastic music, it does improve my impression of the game. I guess really horrible obnoxious music could make my impression of a game worse, but there is always the mute button. I will say I don't tend to ever listen to other music whilst playing a game.

a) Nah, I never listen to soundtracks, if I can help it.
If it's good music, definitely. In fact, I don't listen to music much at all; video game music is one of the few genres I'll seek out on occasion.

a) I'm not an arcade player. As long as it lets me get to the end, I don't care how well I do.
c) I like it hardcore!! I never stop playing until I'm kickass at every game.
Hm, some kind of happy medium; I guess erring on the side of more challenging. I like it when a game is hard but I'm skillful enough to do really well; well, who doesn't like that? It gets to be a problem when a game is too hard, and you spend ages failing to complete a level. That can get frustrating. It's worse if I feel the hardness is "unfair," say, the computer controlled player seems to be getting some kind of advantage I'm not, or there's a puzzle with a solution that doesn't make sense.

a) I don't care, I play for fun, not to be bedazzled with the shiny menu buttons...
c) Oh, I don't play cheesy looking games!! a misplaced shadow takes all the fun away.
I guess it does depend on the game. Usually, I don't care much about the graphics. Provided they're not really bad, then most anything is okay. N64 era graphics are fine for me in 3D games, generally. If we're talking Visual Novels, though, then the artwork, being such a major component, does become more important, and I would be put off by a Visual Novel with ugly artwork.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#8 Post by vaanknight »

Ah, this is very useful, ty all, and keep commenting! ;D this might even take care of some doubts other game makers might have.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Wintermoon »

vaanknight wrote:1. How much of a completitionist are you?
Depends entirely on the game. I play until I get bored. Sometimes that means I don't even play through once. Sometimes that means I play through the game repeatedly even after unlocking everything.
vaanknight wrote:2. What's the most important characteristic in a game? what makes you buy them?
Gameplay and story are both essential, but it's really the setting that draws me in.
vaanknight wrote:3. How important is the music in a game?
I usually turn off the music and listen to my own mp3s. Most game music is terrible, or at least terribly repetitive when playing for hours at a time.

If the game has good music (and I haven't turned it off yet), I do notice.
vaanknight wrote:4. Do you like listening to that music outside the game?
Only if it has good music. Which is almost never the case.
vaanknight wrote:5. How challenging you like your games?
Challenging enough to not bore me, but easy enough to not impede my progress. Too easy is better than too hard. An easy section may be boring, but at least I only have to play through it once to get to the other side. A hard section may keep me from completing the game entirely.
vaanknight wrote:6. How important is the quality of the graphics for you?
I love beautiful hand-pixeled 2D art. I can tolerate minimalistic and primitive graphics, even ASCII art, if the rest of the game is good enough. I loathe "realistic" uncanny-valley 3D graphics with no artistic sense, and go out of my way to avoid them.

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#10 Post by Blue Sky »

If I like the game I'll unlock everything.

It depends on the game. If it is just a visual novel, then I will play it for quality of writing. It doesn't matter if the plot is good if I can't get into the actual writing and characters.

For other games, I play for gameplay (and plot and character).

Music is very important normally, but with visual novels I don't mind. Most people can't compose and don't know any composers, so I don't pay much attention to it with this community.

I listen to soundtracks all the time.

Not too challenging, but not too easy.

Good graphics are a must, sorry. Otherwise I won't be able to get into it.

Another
Regular

#11 Post by Another »

At least, I'll try to unlock everything. Note that I'm not a big fan of hidden things, like easter eggs (I'd rather miss something because it's too difficult than because I don't even know it exists).
If I really like a game, I'll also visit the developer's website and search the Internet for related material like fanarts, comics, etc.

The gameplay comes in second position imo, but is still really important.

Of course, a very good original soundtrack will send me to heaven.
It doesn't bother me if the music is a shared resource that I've already spotted in other games, as long as it fits the game.
If I don't like the music, I'll just turn it off (thus, I really appreciate to have different controls for the music and sound effects).

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

If the game is good and have something to offer after I finished the game for the first time (like new game+) then it's C
If not, then it will be B (or even A if the game's boring)
As long as it have either one of them, I'll buy it.
C, but even it have so-so or bad music, I will still play it if the game is good in the first place. Though I'm pretty sure good games usually have good musics.
B, but usually only the OP (and ED) music.
A, but I prefer there are omakes for difficulty option. So I could tune it to harder difficulty if I'm good (and enjoying) the game.
C, but it's not like a mere misplaced shadow will turn me off from a game. Perhaps between B and C?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

machinist
Regular

#13 Post by machinist »

3. How important is the music in a game?.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#14 Post by Aleema »

a) I just finish the game once and be done with it. (unless it's short, or I really like the game ...)

b) The plot! if it's not interesting, I can't be bothered to finish it. (while I believe this, some AAA titles' stories suck, but I still play them x_x)

c) Ah, it says so much about the story, a good game has to have a beautiful Soundtrack. (can't stress the importance of music enough)

c) Oh yes! I get the soundtracks as soon as I finish the game! (Absolutely! especially if the game has licensed some music. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Final Fantasy stands out here for me.)

b) I feel good when I do well in a tough game... but I'm not that bothered. (Although, a game that always insta-kills me will quickly go back on the shelf)

c) Oh, I don't play cheesy looking games!! a misplaced shadow takes all the fun away. (... so sue me. to be fair, this is only for commercial games.)

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#15 Post by Pyonkotchi »

i don't think i ever 100% completed a game before, but ive gotten close

b) The plot! if it's not interesting, I can't be bothered to finish it..
i like games with a good plot. if the plot is interesting the chance of me finishing is higher. games with little plot get boring too fast

i like my games to have music and SE. an it has to be good. i can't just play a game and turn on my MP3s it feels too weird xD

Depends on thre music. if i like it i might not download it but ill still listen to it n_n

Ugh i love challenging games. but I hate them :v If its too hard ill get irritated and give up

ive played games that dont have the best art, but i tend to avoid them
i dont like playing games if the art isn't nice....i feel like a bad person now XD
Last edited by Pyonkotchi on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.