another easy question I think

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bozance
Regular

another easy question I think

#1 Post by bozance »

Hi,

I'm wondering how to test an area of my game without having to start at the beginning. I want to test something that's pretty far from the beginning. Is there some quick command I can enter in the rpy file?

Thanks...

fortaat
Regular

Re: another easy question I think

#2 Post by fortaat »

Save the game at said scene and load next time you want to check it.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#3 Post by vaanknight »

Yes, the saving screen is your friend, although that might lead to unwanted effects and even exceptions if you're dealing with event flags and persistent data, much like what happened to me. I'd use instead developer tools, "Ctrl + >" skips to the next interaction, normally a menu, and "Ctrl + R" reloads your game's resources and scripts without having to exit the game itself, and it takes you back to the exact point you were when you hit the command, so you can see the effects of your edits as soon as you've made them.

I forgot to mention you have to set at the beginning of your options.rpy file the "config.developer = True" for the those commands to work.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Try

Code: Select all

label start:
    jump far_away_label

#a lot of code to be skipped

label far_away_label:
    "Let`s test this part of game"

bozance
Regular

#5 Post by bozance »

Thanks everyone, each suggestion will help. Also good to know about the Skip mode.

Bozance

IceD
Veteran

#6 Post by IceD »

vaanknight wrote:I forgot to mention you have to set at the beginning of your options.rpy file the "config.developer = True" for the those commands to work.
Basically speaking, it is always set to "True" by default. You'd rather have to remember to turn it off (set it to "false") once you're ready to publish your novel, otherwise people will be able to cheat with it :)