Really Quick survey on Gaming Tastes

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

Re: Really Quick survey on Gaming Tastes

#16 Post by LinWest »

1. B. If I like the game I'll look to complete more endings. If I'm just testing it out I'll only go through once.
2. B always. For visual novels plot takes precedence over everything.
3. C music puts you in the mood and cues feelings, so its important.
4. B
5. A
6. C I am an elitist. If I don't like the art I won't play it.
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

Mirage
Veteran

#17 Post by Mirage »

1. How much of a completitionist are you?

a) I just finish the game once and be done with it.
b) I try to get all the endings, but I don't bother to unlock it all.
c) I unlock every bit of them! I feel I've done nothing if not.
Answer: Highly depends on the game. If it's enjoyable, I will most likely unlock everything. If it's boring, I might only ended up playing once. I do notice that I more likely to unlock everything if the different endings give a new outlook to the story.

2. What's the most important characteristic in a game? what makes you buy them?

a) The gameplay! if it's fun to play, who cares about the story?
b) The plot! if it's not interesting, I can't be bothered to finish it.
c) Customization! I don't care as long as I can make my own character.
Answer: This also depends. I love good story if it's so good that it doesn't need gameplay. While there are games that I won't get tired playing just because the game play is super addicting. I hardly care about customization though.

3. How important is the music in a game?

a) I barely notice, I can even listen to my MP3 while playing without a second thought.
b) I don't pay too much attention to it, but if it's nice, I'll listen.
c) Ah, it says so much about the story, a good game has to have a beautiful Soundtrack.
Answer: Music is very important. They can make an already good story into a great story.

4. Do you like listening to that music outside the game?

a) Nah, I never listen to soundtracks, if I can help it.
b) hm, if it's a really good song... why not?
c) Oh yes! I get the soundtracks as soon as I finish the game!
Answer: I like listening to soundtracks outside the game, BUT it depends if it's good or not.

5. How challenging you like your games?

a) I'm not an arcade player. As long as it lets me get to the end, I don't care how well I do.
b) I feel good when I do well in a tough game... but I'm not that bothered.
c) I like it hardcore!! I never stop playing until I'm kickass at every game.
Answer: An easy game with possibility of difficult challenges are my favorite.

6. How important is the quality of the graphics for you?

a) I don't care, I play for fun, not to be bedazzled with the shiny menu buttons...
b) I can appreciate a nice looking game, but I can overlook that if the thing is fun.
c) Oh, I don't play cheesy looking games!! a misplaced shadow takes all the fun away.
Answer: It depends on the game itself. If the story is awesome or the gameplay is super, graphic is my least concern. Though I must admit that it's important to have pretty graphics to even get anyone be interested in playing in the first place. They won't know if the game is good if they never try it. (And there are plenty people who assume things suck before playing it based on graphics.)

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#18 Post by sayuri »

b,b,c,c,a,b

1) I'm a text junkie, I like to read every single bit of text to understand the story as much as possible.
2) Plot, duh. I can deal with a corny plot sometimes but only if the gameplay is really fun. I only remember games if the plot was great.
3) Music is very important, IMHO. I don't think of it too much but my favorite games almost always coincide with my favorite soundtracks. I'm actually listening to the Valkyria Chronicles soundtrack right now :P.
4) See above >.<
5) I kinda sorta suck at video games. It's sad but true. I have soooooooo many games I've given up on because I've gotten stuck or screwed up somewhere. So yeah, as long as the gameplay is engaging I don't care how easy it is.
6) Not all my games HAVE TO BE high res masterpieces. However, I have certain expectations. Such as when I bought Disgaea 3, the graphics could have been from a DS game. That's not going to fly. However, Eternal Sonata's graphics may seem sort of primitive and cartoony but it works just fine. Not every game I buy must look like Final Fantasy XIII or Uncharted.

IceD
Veteran

#19 Post by IceD »

I don't know if you're asking about games in overall or only visual novels, but I'll try to be comrehensible.

When I had a little bit more time to read VN's I tried to get all the possible endings, that - finish the game in a proper manner, but now I usually get one of the endings and be done with it, especially if it's an uterly generic one. Even so, if the game's really great and i enjoy it an all of it's sides, I'll surely play it from beginning to an end and I still try to unlock more than one ending, so B. We can't talk much about normal games being unlockable because most of them are preety straightforward (with an exception of RPG genre) and if not all secrets or easter eggs, there's no need for it.

There are no most important characteristics in games :) - every one of them can prove to be interesting, even to people who usually don't give a damn about them as well as devastating to the overall game if done out badly. Gameplay is such a thing. For me, it's the plot in VN's (and not only in them) that matters at the first place, being seconded by art and music. If the game has interesting backstory (if it has and rather should have), fun lovable characters with deeply developed personalities and great scenario I can hold till the end, even if the art doesn't reedem it. That is, I take B for granted. You see - even mmorpg's can have interesting storylines that make the player go "woah!!! sooo cool!", when they're discovering new uncharted areas in the world map. Play Lineage II or AION and see for yourself :wink:

C - music is important, because it plays it's part along with the it's art. In addition to visual novels, it creates an overall mood and serves as a background for your reading - just as reading a nice book with some music. If done out really badly, this can have a great impact on the pleasure taken from reading. Happily I had never turned it off, yet. C for me.

If it's a question if you're plan to add the soundtrack for players as a downloadable content on your site, along with add-ons and even a cover to print, or more likably - don't obfuscate them, so the players can play it outside the game whenever they want, Surely you'd could do this! I was soo glad I could listen to O3's soundtrack outside the game, the music landed on my MP3 after I finished it and it's there ever since as one of my favourite VN's soundtracks :) Don't hesitate, to do it if you have the chance! As for me, I get a soundtrack if I like it. Most novels have nice background music, but they are rather generic and don't change much from title to title; of course, tis' doesn't mean there aren't any general exceptions :) C, again.

Depends, if we're talking about VN's, don't bother to add to much playable content for hardcore players. Novels are for reading, not playing! But, as long as anyone will be able to finish them with a bit of patience, it's not that bad when we're talking about VN/game hybrids such as novels with added rpg combat, minigames and so... But I'm not scared by hardcore gaming content - I play most of japanese shumps decently, so you can bring it on! :D C, again.

B, that is if the game's really fun but you should try to make your game/novel/whatever as beautiful as you can. Game should have the art equal to it's rest content. Retro, even if its more simplistic still plays the same role. In visual novels art plays the important part. You can go with decent art matched to your skills if you're the only creator, but if you can afford for a better art, go for it! I'd rather wait more time/or take more time for art to finish, rather than to view mediocre/weaker art. I like good visuals, if not - we'd still be with the 70's monochrome hercules monitor screens :)

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#20 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

I will usually try to get all the endings I'm interested in. I don't usually try to get bad endings unless I know I need them (this is usually the case for games with those *ultra secret super endings*).

A visual novel is a NOVEL. it needs a strong plot or I just won't finish it. If I want something with strong gameplay elements or customization, I'll usually look elsewhere, such as console video games. With a visual novel, I've come with the goal of being submerged in a good story.

I think that music is one of those things that can affect us the deepest when it comes to playing a visual novel, so I think that the soundtrack is very important. It sets the mood, provides mental cues for important scenes and can set mood like no other aspect of the visual novel can.

I had the music for Umineko no Naku Koro ni before I started playing the game. I listened to it for weeks after I had plod through the five novels. I still listen to it as well as other anime and game ost's on a regular basis.

When it comes to a visual novel, I never really expect much in the way of 'gameplay' to begin with. Like question 2, I prefer to be swept away in the plot, and care less about gameplay elements. I don't even like point-and-click elements all that much when it interferes with the flow of the story.

A visual novel needs strong VISUALS. It's in the name. This doesn't mean they have to be high-rez, cutting edge graphics, but I want something that looks at least semi-decent. Umineko no Nako Koro ni is usually the lowest common standard that I hold graphics too, but the likes of Deji and Sake-visual projects are a treat for the eyes.
Live Life Heroically

flowerthief
Regular

#21 Post by flowerthief »

1. a
2. a
3. b
4. b
5. b
6. b

------------------------------------
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Wintermoon »

Wait, are we talking about games or visual novels? Because my answers for visual novels are completely different than my answers for games.
Last edited by Wintermoon on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline
Regular

#23 Post by Evangeline »

I assume we're talking about a visual novel, since this IS a visual novel forum and all...

But really, it depends on the game. If it's a game I'm really interested in, I tend to go for hundred percent completion, including bad ends and all. But if it's a meh game, a game that's generic, or something along those lines, I usually just finish one ending, perhaps two. It all depends on how long a game can hold my interest for.

If we're talking about visual novels, then definitely b is the case, since who goes to visual novels for gameplay? But some of my most favorite games have had RPG elements tacked onto them, and I've played VNs that were ruined for me because of bad gameplay design. So I guess my true answer would be somewhere between a and b. For instance, Saya no Uta and Gore Screaming Show attracted me because of the plot, but games like Morning Star and some dating sims attracted me because of the gameplay. I really, really like games which mesh VN-like elements with RPG and combat and adventuring and all that crap. Think Persona 3.

I actually love it when there's good music in a game, but it's not completely essential like the plot or the gameplay. It can definitely add a lot to the playing experience, especially in a VN where all you're doing, usually, is reading.

I definitely like listening to game music outside the game, but only if the songs are good. Right now, for instance, I have Katawa Shoujo open and I'm just listening to a few tracks that I really love as I do other stuff.

Too easy is better than too hard. Ultimately I want my games to be enjoyable, and it's hard to enjoy a game if it's Nintendo hard.

b) I can appreciate a nice looking game, but I can overlook that if the thing is fun.

I say b, but if we're talking about visual novels, it's a b that's leaning heavily towards c. The graphics don't have to be perfect, but they absolutely must be appealing and nice-looking, since graphics are one of the main draws of visual novels after all. Professionalism is important; the graphics should look polished. I do know that I've completely ignored some games because their graphics, frankly, suck. For example, I know that I'm never going to play the Umineko or Higurashi VNs because I can't stand looking at the art. (I wait for the manga to come out.)

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#24 Post by vaanknight »

Wintermoon wrote:Wait, are we talking about games or visual novels? Because my answers for visual novels are completely different than my answers for games.
Actually I was refering to games in general, but of course the feedback focused on VNs is more than welcome, I'd say it's useful not just for me but for most programmers, I hope.

In any case, I have made some decisions on my current project based on your answers, so again, ty all.

Also, you guys might as well post double answers, a set for console style games and a set for VNs, where indeed most of the answers for the music, plot and graphics lean to C.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#25 Post by azureXtwilight »

1. c
2. b (but sometimes I tend to look for the good or best only)
3. c
4. b
5. a
6. b

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#26 Post by CaesMRaenes »

Typically, for both games and VNs, I get everything that I would like then just move on with my life.

I'm in between these but more so for the plot. Reason being: I've played Lux Pain where the plot was decent and the ending left much to desire but the gameplay was interesting. I've also played Dr. Mario and Tetris which pretty much has no plot but was pretty fun to pass the time. Don't know if that counts since they were made that way. XD

Leaning more towards (c). I can get through a game with a decent soundtrack and can't concentrate if it's terrible. But if I really like it, Valkyria Chronicles as an example, I will go out of my way to obtain the soundtrack.

See above for this part. Except for VNs unless they're originals. Then I might get the singles and what not.

Again, I'm in between these choices. I like a hard game that gets you thinking and a little stressed, but if the gameplay and story really compels me too, I'll pretty much try to dominate the game to make myself feel proud, even in VNs, believe or not.

Definitely (b). Why? I've played Skies of Arcadia, FFT, FFT Advance, lots of games on the SNES, FF7 (haha. blocky hands.), Thousand Arms, and enjoyed watching people play Dwarf Fortress which is mostly ASCII characters (at least the earlier ones). D: But I will forever love Duck Hunt.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Jake
Support Hero

#27 Post by Jake »

vaanknight wrote: 1. How much of a completitionist are you?
Depends what the reward for completion is, really, and how much fun the thing I'm completing is. I hunted down most of the agility orbs in Crackdown, for example, because they gave me higher jumps and allowed me to have more fun in the game in general... on the other hand, I stopped once I'd got highest-level jump (5, IIRC?) because I didn't get anything else from collecting more. I didn't have any interest in hunting down hidden mini-dungeons in Twilight Princess, because they generally just gave me rupees and I had a full wallet for pretty much the whole game anyway.

In the VN case, I'll be interested in trying other endings when there's a clever multi-branch story that I don't feel like I've heard all of with just one ending. If the ending I get feels self-contained and complete, I'm less likely to go for other endings. (With the caveat that this only holds for well-written stories; if an ending doesn't feel self-contained and complete and it's written badly, or it's obviously nothing but a ploy to get me to ending-hunt, I'll just feel cheated and stop playing anyway.)
vaanknight wrote: 2. What's the most important characteristic in a game? what makes you buy them?
Some mix of A and B depending on the type of game it is. My attention can be held by plot with no gameplay (c.f. books) or gameplay without plot (I'm enjoying Picross 3D right now), but I won't play a game with neither for long.
vaanknight wrote: 3. How important is the music in a game?
Somewhere between B and C for 3, and B for 4; I'll listen to the music if it's there, and I certainly won't play my own stuff over the top, but it has to be pretty damn good (and/or catchy) music for me to care more about it than that.
vaanknight wrote: 5. How challenging you like your games?
Varies a lot depending on the kind of game. For stuff like first/third-person shooters (which I'm not too fond of in the first place) I'll prefer it to be just challenging enough that I'm not walking all over it and still having as much fun as I'm likely to have; for things which have something to do other than gameplay (RPGs etc.) I like something in the middle; for stuff like puzzle games and (especially) bullet-hell shooters, hard is good.
vaanknight wrote: 6. How important is the quality of the graphics for you?
B
For the most part, the graphics only need to be "not distractingly bad". I enjoyed the hell out of Deus Ex, which had pretty sub-par graphics even for its time, and I've played and liked several random flash games online with pretty basic visuals. But "distracting" can be relative, and style-conflicting-with-theme problems are sometimes just as bad as poor-quality-graphics problems.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

\Nish/
Regular

#28 Post by \Nish/ »

But if there's a CG gallery, it's a whole different matter. I'm quite a gallery freak, and if I see an empty spot I just have to fill it in. Otherwise, I'll just get the endings as much as I could, but I won't force myself to unlock everything.

I like to have a decent plot and characters in the games I play, they make things all the more enjoyable.

I'm actually torn between b and a, because I believe that music can potentially make or break a game but most of the time I'm tolerant to anything as long as it's not too bad.

Yes, if I find something that's good, I keep listening. :D

a) I'm not an arcade player. As long as it lets me get to the end, I don't care how well I do.
It really depends on the type of game though.

Torn between a and b again. I mostly play games for fun, but I appreciate good visuals too.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Riviera »

Gotta catch em all.

It's all about the plot.

I do notice it, and it can help a lot to make a scene memorable... but at the same time, it's not a deal-breaker.

It's very rare when I do so. In fact the only series I've done this with is Final Fantasy.

Overly easy games are not bad, but overly tough games are deal-breakers. I've returned games where I absolutely loved everything else, but since the battles required such absolute chess-like strategy, I could not stand to play it after a few tries and that was that.

I've liked may different art styles. Chances are I'll like SOMETHING about your style. :)
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#30 Post by DragoonHP »

a) I just finish the game once and be done with it.
C (I always try to achieve this)

c) Customization! I don't care as long as I can make my own character.
B

a) I barely notice, I can even listen to my MP3 while playing without a second thought.
c) Ah, it says so much about the story, a good game has to have a beautiful Soundtrack.
B

a) Nah, I never listen to soundtracks, if I can help it.
B

B or sometime may be C :?:

a) I don't care, I play for fun, not to be bedazzled with the shiny menu buttons...
c) Oh, I don't play cheesy looking games!! a misplaced shadow takes all the fun away.
B