What is your favortie book to read???

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Doggy Nino
Regular
Projects: Crystal Hearts (Discontinued)

What is your favortie book to read???

#1 Post by Doggy Nino »

What's a good book you can't just stop reading? It's so good you just want keep reading on and on. It can be any kind! Manga , comic , novel, ect. Tell me! I love to read books so I need some suggestions. XD

Favorites currently:

Novel- Unwind (horror/adventure) love this book to death!
Manga-Aoi Kiseki (romance/comedy),Hibiki's Magic (fantasy/comedy),Pig Bride ( comdey/romance) , and Someday's Dreamers series (fantasy/romance/drama)
Light Novels-The Familiar of Zero (fantasy/romance/comedy) and Toradora (comedy/romance)

P.S. The Familiar of Zero and Toradora anime and manga are extremely funny defintely worth reading and watching and Arakawa Under the Bridge as well.
"In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs." -Daniel J. Boorstin

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: What is your favortie book to read???

#2 Post by LVUER »

I rarely read book, but currently I'm reading and enjoying "Clear and Present Danger" and "Sum of All Fear", both by the infamous Tom Clancy.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

IceD
Veteran

#3 Post by IceD »

So, do you want to talk about books, novels or manga? Decide then. A book is a book, manga is not a book and novels are a type of books. Equally, light novels are different things.
  • I'm currently reading few books. This list inlcudes:
  • Fables Dismantled by Katarzyna Miller and Tatiana Cichocka - Interesting book, which basically retells the moral truths and myths hidden in many of our fairy tales from present day point of view. To bad it's only available in polish.
  • The count of Monte Christo by Alexander Dumas - A "must to read" classic.
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Same here, though this book isn't suited for everyone and it's quite hard to read. Ever wondered from where the term "lolita" came from? If not, you have the only one and truthful answer, here.
  • Few books from Conan series :)
  • My current manga list includes:
  • Narutaru also known as Shadow Star in the US, by Mohiro Kitoh
  • Eden ~It's and endless World! by Hiroki Endo
Those two are on my highly reccomended list, Especially Narutaru for the clever idea execution.

I'd also love to read The Spice and Wolf light novels, which were finally published in the US by Yen Press not so long ago. I'm thinking about buying whole series, but as for now only the first volume is available and the second is to come, so I think It'll be better to wait for the final release before that.

chelxoxo
Regular
Projects: Fantasia RoT novelisation, editor for Fantasia 3... and a secret :p

#4 Post by chelxoxo »

I finished reading Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' for the 2nd time last week. It's a favourite of mine. :) Another one of my favourites is 'Ballet Shoes' by Noel Streatfield. I've read that so many times that I've lost count. It's the perfect book to read on a 'let's stay in and snuggle up with a bar of good chocolate' day. I have a small volume of some of Hans Christian Andersen stories and they never fail to make me cry at some point. 'White Fang' by Jack London also comes highly recommended. I read that when I was around 9 years old and I've always remembered it. (Must read it again at some point...)

I'm probably a minority in the fact that I dislike Twilight. I refuse to watch the movies and only read the books if I'm having a bad day because it seems like Bella is ALWAYS having a bad day (constant spiral of depression, anyone?). In Harry Potter the storyline is good... not a big fan though. I stopped watching the movies after seeing the 4th one.
Turns out my unicorn was a donkey with a plunger stuck to its head.

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#5 Post by Fluffycrow »

IceD wrote:So, do you want to talk about books, novels or manga? Decide then. A book is a book, manga is not a book and novels are a type of books. Equally, light novels are different things.
That seems like a rude thing to say. The title simply says "book;" novels, manga, and light novels are all types of books, however different they may be. It isn't as if it's impossible to discuss all three...

Now, as for the topic...

Novels:
Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff. Think "The Matrix" meets "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." An over-the-top, pretty hilarious story regarding a woman who is recruited into a vigilante organization fighting evildoers. The only thing I dislike about it is the ending; I even went as far as to cut the last three pages out of my own copy. ^-^;;
The Hunger Games series. Ai luffs it. It's a post-apocalyptic novel, but rather than being one of those cookie-cutter, "How can we survive without civilization?" books, it takes place in a world where a community has already been established, and the conflict comes from the corruption within the community itself. Also, Haymitch is an awesome character. Just sayin'.
The Shining by Steven King. I don't believe there's any explanation needed here. :twisted:

Manga:
Detective Conan by Aoyama Goushou. I've always admired Goushou-sensei for his ability to take a completely ridiculous plot and somehow make it awesome. "Cocky genius runs after a guy with ridiculously long hair and goth getup and gets knocked out, then discovers he's de-aged ten years" is a ridiculous plot. In this manga, it is awesome.
Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya. It's truly an engrossing and very emotional series. I'll never forget how I felt when the series ended; on the one hand, I was thrilled that the characters I loved were finally happy, but on the other, I didn't want such an amazing series to ever end. :D
Death Note by Takeshi Obata and Tsugumi Ouba. L. Enough said.

fortaat
Regular

#6 Post by fortaat »

The Bible - mainly Jeremiah and the first part of the Book of Kings, but the rest is also good. G-D is my favorite character, especially when he pwns the heathens.

manga - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_Bible_%28series%29

Doggy Nino
Regular
Projects: Crystal Hearts (Discontinued)

#7 Post by Doggy Nino »

Well I guess I'll tell about the novel have listed....Unwind this a very sad and pretty messed up story. Anyways this is the story about 3 runaway kids who team up together so they can survive till their 18 so they are illegaly not able to be unwinded. Unwinding is the process of a parent or gurdain of child that's 13-18 years old sigining them off to unwind which is the proccess harvesting the organs of teenagers for transplant use. For more infomation if you want to read this thriller here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unwind_(novel)
"In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs." -Daniel J. Boorstin

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#8 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

For novels:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is a beautiful, arresting story that strokes my Victorian Gothic literature fetish in a modern way. It concerns a biographer who meets with a famous writer to pen her biography. As she hears about the author's troubled past, she is drawn into a tale of dark family drama, intrigue, and more.

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn is a mystery of murder and intrigue with a large dash of romance in it. Also set in the late 1800's. After the mysterious death of her husband, the widowed Julia Grey sets out to find her husband's murderer. Her investigations are at time helped and at times hindered by the enigmatic detective Brisbane.

The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon are both hypnotizing for their descriptive use of light and style to portray the city of Barcelona. Both are part mystery-part thriller and both are thoroughly engrossing. The Shadow of the Wind follows the mystery surrounding a dead author by the name of Julian Carax, and the menacing figure that comes by night to find every copy of his works and burn them. The Angel's Game follows a living author as he enters a faustian deal with a foreign publisher to write a book that could 'change the world'.

For manga:

CLOVER by CLAMP. One of CLAMP's most experimental (and in my opinion, one of their most beautiful) series to date. All four published volumes are available together as an omnibus from Dark Horse. A must have for artists and designers, if just to marvel at their cinematographic treatment of the medium. In the far future, a mysterious government organization monitors and confines psychic children in the Clover program. The four stories detail the lives and interactions of some of these 'clovers'.

Revolutionary Girl Utena by Chiho Saito. The original five-book series as well as the movie tie-in volume are among my favorite manga. I enjoy the more theological elements that play in the manga, something that isn't so much expressed in the psychologically focused anime aeries. It concerns a tomboyish middle-schooler named Utena Tenjou who becomes embroiled in the mysteries surrounding her school's student council and a ritualistic dueling game they play where the trophy is a young girl they refer to as the Rose Bride.

LOVELESS by Yun Kouga. Some of the most amazing art I've seen in manga as well as an engrossing story. Not for those who are squeamish about male-male (and occasionally) female-female relationships. Twelve-year-old Ritsuka investigates his older brother's murder by a mysterious group called Septimal Moon. He is assisted by a dubiously-intentioned man names Soubi, whose objectives are unknown to the hero.

Count Cain and Godchild by Kaori Yuki. More of the Victorian Era and Thriller fare. Interestingly, you really see Yuki's art skills progress over the course of the two series. Deals quite a lot with murder. Cain Hargreaves is a young earl with a reputation for womanizing and collecting poisons. He investigates murders and a mysterious cult that has to do with his dead father.

Little Queen by Yeon-Joo Kim. Technically manhwa, but still gorgeous. The plot is a little underdeveloped, but the visual style is a treat for the eyes. June Narcieq attends Rohini Royal Academy, where children possessing magical potential are trained in their abilities. In particular, girls of exceptional abilities are trained as candidates for the position of Queen of Light. June competes with her rival Lucia Luferr, not only for the crown, but also for the attention of June's childhood friend Sejuru Ney.

For light novels:

Kamikaze Girls by Novala Takemoto. The novel that inspired the motion picture starring Kyoko Fukada and Anna Tsuchiya. A delightful read. Kamikaze Girls centers around two students, Momoko Ryugasaki and Ichigo "Ichiko" Shirayuri, who are from completely different backgrounds: one is a Lolita girl, the other a Yankī. The story showcases their special bond.

Zaregoto: The Kubikiri Cycle by Nisioisin. There's just something out-there about Nisioisin's writing that gets me every time. Ii-chan and his friend Tomo are invited to Wet Crow's Feather Island in the sea of Japan. The island is owned by Iria Akagami, a wealthy disinherited heiress who has been living in exile on the island with her maids for the last five years. For entertainment, she regularly invites geniuses like Kunagisa to stay on the island. When one of the guests is found dead - decapitated - Iria decides to ask Jun Aikawa to solve the murder. But it will take several days before Jun will arrive, and Ii-chan decides to investigate the mystery while they wait. See also by Nisioisin: DEATHNOTE : ANOTHERNOTE and xxxHOLiC : ANOTHERHOLiC
Live Life Heroically

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Showsni »

My favourite book to read? Hm, I guess that's different than just my favourite book... I'm pretty bad at picking favourites anyway, though.

Um, if I have to pick one favourite book, I'll probably go for Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones. It's about an Oxford student who realises that a lot of her memories of her childhood are fake when she comes across a book of short stories she's sure she's read before, but with a different cover and a few different stories and authors. Thinking back she remembers the true events of her youth, and I guess the book follows along the story of her life, and in particular her interactions with a certain man. It's kind of based on the stories of Tam Lynn and Thomas the Rhymer.

I like a lot of Diana Wynne Jones' stuff, in fact; she's probably my favourite author. I guess you might know her as the author of Howl's Moving Castle if you're into anime. I'd recommend pretty much any of her books.

Looking over this thread, I think the only mentioned books I've read are the first two Hunger Games books and Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales. The Hunger Tales ones were pretty good; they seem to be heavily inspired by Battle Royale, to me... Well, at least in the basic premsie of the Games themselves. And I like Hans Christian Aderson's stories, too. Some of them are kind of sad... Ther4e's quite a lot with bittersweet at best endings aren't there? The Little Mermaid gets turned to sea foam (and then an air spirit, so not totally unhappy), the girl in the Red Shoes dies, the Constant Soldier melts, the Fir-Tree burns... I think the Wild Swans is my favourite fairy tale.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#10 Post by vaanknight »

I'm feeling too lazy to write a gargantuan review of all my fav books, so I'll just mention the TOP TOP ones in my list:

The three Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books preceded of course by the Silmarillion and The Hobbit. I read them all in order at least once a year, following Christopher Lee's example.

In manga, well, I don't read much manga, I'm more an anime person. But the lattest ones I read that I still remember were The "School Ningyo" and "Falling".

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Showsni »

I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings too! Though my copy of Return of the King seems to have gone walkabout. It's not on the shelf with Fellowship and the Two Towers, which means it must be somewhere in the other bookcase, where it's horrible trying to find anything. I guess it's with the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. The Silmarillion always makes me feel sorry for Melkior and Sauron...

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#12 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I haven't read anything real good in a while now |:
ut i did love, the Uglies books. and So Yesterday,
i did love Harry Potter, but i stopped reading after the 2nd book. aghh the books kept getting longer and longer and i can't bring myself to get back to it, same with Narnia and a Series of Unfortunate Events, I liked the books, but ahhh couldn't get around to finish 'em. too long, too long.

also, The Giver was a pretty awesome book, i still love it.

oh! some of the books i read in my English class last year were pretty interesting, The Things They Carried, The Great Gatsby

I got started on reading Alice in wonderland but i stopped for some reason |:

i do want to read Wicked and Lolita.

I dont read manga often because i usually just watch the anime
but if i really like the anime, then i'll probably end up buying the Manga :3

Pokemon Special , i want to get back too, but ehhhh

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#13 Post by DragoonHP »

I really liked Harry Potter series and Oliver Twist to name the most I like.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

I only listed novels, so here's my favorite manga:
1. Magister Negi Magi/Mahou Sensei Negima. It's from Akamatsu ^_^ Cute arts and cool action...
2. Gun Slinger Girls. Cute girls and guns, do we need anything else?
3. Love Hina. An old manga, again from Akamatsu. Cute girls, harem scenario.
4. Hayate the Combat Butler. One word: hilarious...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#15 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

well, is impossible to give an actual list of my favourite books, having around actual "walls of text" (that is, bookshelves from floor to ceiling spanning entire walls) and even a partial list of the favourite books between these thousands of books will be the other, methaporical wall of text....

Interesting thread, of course ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.