Otome-related survey

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Re: Otome-related survey

#31 Post by chronoluminaire »

Otoko desukedo...

1a - I much prefer it if the character has her own personality.

2c or 2b - I feel strongly that a single playthrough to a good ending should be a complete story in itself.

3c or 3d - but don't mind much

4a

5b or 5e - I want to know that the author's thought things through, and be fairly free of Fridge Logic moments

6c - it's best if the minigames or battles feel appropriate to the story they're in

7b

8c 8b
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#32 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

1. a)... not sure why? Some kind of need to roleplay through a story not as myself?

2. c) I would expect at least some kind of plot for the whole thing to make sense.

3. a) I think. I usually just go with whatever I need to do.

4. a) is fine, though I would be impressed by multiple endings... plus I'm one of those people who would have to play through until I got them all, as long as it was interesting and not too repetitive.

5. Probably b) But only if it enriches the story and it dosn't feel like I'm reading an encyclopedia. I do think it would create a more imersive world though.

6. c)

7. c) My characters always die so... anything is happy compared to that. But I think it could be interesting.

8. c) Mostly. I don't mind older too mcuh, but since I'm getting older, younger characters can be a little weird. For the other one, it's probably a mix. I enjoy a good variation because it help seperate characters, its bad when you have a cookie cutter thing going on. But... I do like my bishis.

Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

#33 Post by Arithra »

1. If you had a definite female protagonist (with her own not-customizable sprite and a personality) would you like her to:
a) Have her own name.

2. How much of a plot does an otome game need to be appealing to you? (please choose the lowest that is acceptable to you, not your favorite)
c) I like some story and/or setting elements that tie things together.

3. How'd you rather "catch" the guys?
d) like 'c', but without obvious choices that are presented through the first half/first two thirds of the story.

4. If you have more than 4 guys that are obtainable in the game, you'd be willing to accept (please pick the lowest acceptable for you):
b) Two endings per character (good and bad), and a couple of alone endings.

5. If you had a cast of guys from different fantasy races/worlds/territories, how much exposition about their kind would you mind to have?
b) A good amount to satisfy my curiosity. I don't want history lessons, though I'm willing to learn about basic culture information and current problems of his kind.

6. If the story were to branch, would you mind having simple RPG-like battles in some branches while not in others?
a) I don't want to battle! I'd rather have it described in dialog/exposition/images and be told of what happened, without influencing its outcome.

7. If there was only one ending per guy, would you like some guys having sad ends (not depressive, though), some of them have bittersweet and some of them have happy endings? <- edited for clarity
c) It'd be nice, as long as it makes sense.

8. Guys cast variety-wise, you'd like (pick the ones you like):
a) A wide range of ages: from younger than the protagonist to a father/teacher-like figure
b) A wide range of physical appearances: short, tall, skinny, more muscular, manry and scarred in battle, etc...

Variety is important.. but in otome games I prefer the guys to be good looking.

Alphonse
Regular

#34 Post by Alphonse »

1. a
(Not having a real name kinda kills the personality for me and makes her a more of a self-insertion point. That's boring.)
2. b
3. d
4. a
5. e
6. a
(I wouldn't mind if it weren't just in the branches, but the whole game, though.)
7. a
(I can't play through to get a guy and then be rewarded like that...;_;)
8. a