Gearing Up For NaNoRenO 2006!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

Gearing Up For NaNoRenO 2006!

#1 Post by rioka »

Hey everyone! NaNoRenO is 5 months away but before we know it, it'll be that time of year again. So who's up for the challenge this time? =D

For those who don't know about it, NaNoRenO takes after the tradition of NaNoWriMo but instead of a novel in one month, it challenges developers to create a ren'ai game within a month! There are various levels of NaNoRenO depending on your experience, how big your game is, and if you'd like to complete that one game that seems to elude you month after month.

IntRenAiMo is for the newbie developer just getting their feet wet into game developing or that lone developer looking for a motivation to complete a ren'ai game that dragged on more than it should've.

NaNoRenO+ is ideal for the developer who wants that extra time to put that additional polish in their game or the individual unsure whether they'll make the more stricker one month deadline of NaNoRenO.

And that concludes the NaNoRenO blurb. More info can be found at the links provided. If you're unsure about joining the event, please read through mikey's Why YOU Should Join NaNoRenO article.

Anyways...
Personally, I think I may end up participating under IntRenAiMo but we'll see.... I haven't fully decided yet. But either way, it'll fun fun fun! :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Dear god, is it really the time already? :o

I can't say anything now. However, I desperately want to participate and NOT go with the lazy IntRenAiMo version. But it would be a very good option for me, IntRenAiMo. Bah. Things sure look grim from where I am standing... I may know more in a month. I do have a quick game option, but I'll have to look into it whether it could be made into a NaNoRenO project. I would like to make something Kaori-sized if NaNoRenO should be the choice. No TransferTeacher-size game in 06.

Anyway, I remember being extremely hesitant last year whether to enter, but then it was just the best, so I'm hoping in 06 it will be no different. Looking forward. Should ALICE be useable at that time... it would be a great help.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#3 Post by Megaman Z »

OFFICIAL NOTICE OF ENTRY (no more credit-giving misteaks like last time... I hope... wait... DARNIT! *points to "misteak"* TYPO!)

I have an idea of who I'd like on my team... chuck as my artist, and who knows who's going to be doing music... maybe me... *tries to get Sonar 5 Producer Edition to work... hasn't been successful yet... fails to recognize midi output, preventing all practical use of it.*
~Kitsune Zeta

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#4 Post by Alessio »

OK, this is motivating. :) Being realistic, I'll opt for IntRenAiMo. My game's development has been going pretty well (since January actually), and I think March 31st is feasible with my current schedule. So count me in!

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#5 Post by Glasskitten »

This year, I think that I will spend March frantically sketching and scribbling between classes, then spend April mourning the lost cause...just like last year. I wanna be a game-maker like the LemmaSoft heroes and heroines! *proceeds to pout over potential and as yet unrealized difficulties that may lie in her future*

On the bright side...free games for me! =^:D^=
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by musical74 »

I'd like to, but the only thing I really have going for me is an active imagination. I don't have the technical know-how to but the idea into a script and I lack the artistic ability too...if I were to go for it I would need a fair amount of outside help :? can I cheer everyone else on?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by mikey »

musical74 wrote:I'd like to, but the only thing I really have going for me is an active imagination. I don't have the technical know-how to but the idea into a script and I lack the artistic ability too...if I were to go for it I would need a fair amount of outside help :? can I cheer everyone else on?
But that's misunderstanding the very point of NaNoRenO! :P

It's exactly for the type of person who can't start because of a million reasons (not meant offensively). You have Ren'Py, most probably ALICE, free photo resources and there are one or two scattered programmers around here who can put things together. Write the story and you're there.

And even if that were very whishful thinking to you, the point is this is not a contest - you can actually not make it and no one will ever laugh. You can never lose credit if you participate. If it just takes you one single step forward (like you finally find out how to edit one or two things in Ren'Py and find a good filter combination for your photos), it is a step forward, it's one step more than not doing anything - and that's the true meaning of NaNoRenO

Oh jeez, here I go again with those motivational speeches ^_^

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#8 Post by Watercolorheart »

I guess I'll be opting for IntRenAiMo with Shifted ...

It's my first Ren'py game, anyway, if not my first game ... I just have no idea where to take my story D: ...

Does anyone want to be a scriptwriter for a mystery/occult kind of story? (Not necessarily a dating sim, per se ...)

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#9 Post by Otaku Dash »

I dunno If I'll enter with Ilumminaire..... I'm still waiting the backgrounds from Iaman... and I've been very busy with school and personal problems. The first scrip I wrote was full of flaws so I'll have to rewrite it soon....

*sigh*
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#10 Post by Megaman Z »

nice to see you're back, Dash... even if it's only for a day or two... (hopefully, it's more than a week...)
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

OtakuDash>> I mean, why not enter? The whole "trying the impossible" is one of the fun factors in all of that.

Actually, I think if you really want to make a game, NaNoRenO is just about as good as it can get. You can literally do nothing and still be a part. You'll get all the tools, tips and encouragement... If that isn't the most convenient way... I don't know what is.

Sad as it is, the game will not spawn itself purely from one's thoughts, and there'll have to be work done. I understand that often people will wait for that creative burst and motivation that they are certain will come at some point and it will be better than forcing yourself to keep fictional deadlines, but think of it this way - so far the only ones to regret NaNoRenO are those who didn' participate.

Applied to you, I think participating will help the project. Since it's smaller and easier to make than your previous one, why shouldn't it be possible?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#12 Post by rioka »

Cool! That makes it 5 five people participating so far:
eclipse - IntRenAiMo or NaNoRenO
mikey - IntRenAiMo or NaNoRenO
Megaman Z - NaNoRenO
Alessio - IntRenAiMo
BCS - IntRenAiMo

Anyone else joining? Dre, Grey, chronoluminaire, PyTom? Anyone else from last year joining again?

Anywhoo, I may do some press releases to garner more interest (and hopefully some more participants) in the next couple of weeks. It may mean some reviews for this years NaNoRenO games though... ^^ If you'd rather not have the possibility of your game being reviewed, just tell me and I'll make sure not to mention it. =)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

At least for now, I'm probably going to simply make more time to support Ren'Py during the 'Mo. If I get a good idea around that timeframe, I may move up to participant... but if I don't, then I won't. And if I get a good idea before then, then I won't wait.

Hey, we're only 4 months away, it's not like there isn't a bit of time left.

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#14 Post by Kikered »

Good luck, folks! Last year's games were very enjoyable, and I look forward to what this year's NaNoRenO/NaNoRenO+/IntRenAiMo will bring. :)
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

bookie
Veteran

#15 Post by bookie »

Crap, only four months? I really want to get my game done by then, so I'll join IntRenAiMo and hope for the best!

*Goes back to debugging*