"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aura

Re: [WIP] The DateEngine project

#31 Post by Aura »

You can use mine and delta's nanoreno game, pXt for your deal evaluation thing. Just for the sake of argumentation, not to actually stick it in your engine.

http://katawa-shoujo.com/pxt/

Topagae

#32 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aura

#33 Post by Aura »

Length: very short
People involved: two
Genre: history/romance, no adult content
It's currently on the site I linked, which we own and maybe in the renpy archive thing.

Topagae

#34 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."

Strum
Veteran

#35 Post by Strum »

Hmm? would that happen to be the same Katawa Shoujo as the one on this site http://katawa-shoujo.com/ There's quite a difference in file size from the download provided and the one on the site I just pointed out. On the visual novel database its listed as being quite a long game. Also the idea of having an all disabled cast in a game is original at least to me it is.

Topagae

#36 Post by Topagae »

Strum
Veteran

#37 Post by Strum »

That's ok then, seemed pretty harsh for a game I thought was well made.

Topagae

#38 Post by Topagae »

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#39 Post by kinougames »

Okay, let's use my imaginary game for fake negotiations, since I am actually interested in this process.

Length of game: 10-15 hours.
People involved: We'll say 8 total, but there is a designated head.
Genre: Horror.
18+: I don't think so, since the violence would be the main part and it's less gory than Saw.
Where is it currently: There is just a downloadable version, planned to be sold from the group site.
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

Topagae

#40 Post by Topagae »

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by kinougames »

Topagae wrote:Can you please give just any sort of comparable horror VN for reference? I mean, quality is a HUGE factor and if we use the same game as a base for quality, that'll make it easier, yah know?
Comparable in quality? Let's say a game like "Animamundi". Comparable as far as story and gore. Animamundi has heavy suggestive themes which got it a mature/17+ rating in America, so let's say there's at least that. The art is of equal or better quality. There is voice acting, but the actors used are B-list, and not AAA-list like the ones in Animamundi (who are basically a legion of famous VAs).
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Topagae

#42 Post by Topagae »

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by kinougames »

Topagae wrote:From a cursory glance. Definitely professional, not the work of a hobbyist at all. Top notch quality. Going to go through some run throughs on youtube and get back to you within the hour.
Hobbyists can put out professional quality, you know...

Topagae

#44 Post by Topagae »

Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by kinougames »

Topagae wrote:Haha, no disrespect for sure. I'm sorta banking I can do that to. It's just a jargon unit of measurement. To be more precise, it is quite obvious that a LOT of time and man hours was sunk into this, millions of man hours I'm sure.

Well, with this fine of quality, and it seems to be VERY long, fully voiced, eerie music. Dig the creepy writing. And maybe just a little too creepy with little ms. decapitated head.

Anyhow, those are all the pluses, strong bargaining position for sure. But some hidden weaknesses. Let's delve into my bargaining position and some cons.

For one it's Windows only. Running in a browser widens the audience ALOT. Easy to demo, easy to hook, much more precious time to get a person more and more convinced of the value of the game. Bonus that it'll go on Android/iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch/Facebook. That might be the biggest selling point if you believe the social networking craze. That's the meat of my offer, really, the game as is looks like it won't require any sort of changing through porting. It should be exactly as is, no slowdown or graphics deterioration despite going on a slower medium. Might be too intensive and big for older smart phones.

Any who, with that in mind I do have some concerns. First off is the genre is not as sell-able as others. Just how it is really. Less likely to take off, less likely to be a hit. Second is content. Apple might put a giant "Hell no" when we put this up there, and that's a definite huge time sink dealing with that EVEN if it gets approved. Browser/Android's no problem though. These time sinks combined with the very long length of the game means it WILL take longer to port, and I don't like the Apple variability. With the cute Yaoi no-nudity, easy to port, got an audience, no wrangling with apple cause I have a bloody disembodied head and a devil worshiping lunatic floating around. So that's a concern for us, since in a perfect world we wanna balance the best games to port along with the ease of porting them.

Definitely interested of course, here's my offer. First off it goes on all those platforms, but I can't promise Apple. Lord help me we might have to CENSOR it to get it on there, I know that's a HUGE concern. Might even be a deal breaker if that's all you're interested in is getting on all the app stores. We'll take care of all distribution from the site, and we'd reserve the right to use any materials to advertise the game. But I can't see how that'd be a problem for you since we'd be paying to advertise your game for you.

The meat of the license would be that we'd like to license the use of your game for at least three years after launch day (Meaning the timer wouldn't start til we put up the game). We'd have to work out how much to sell it for, especially maybe changing the pricing schemes on mobile networks since, sadly, users have been tricked and are used to paying a lot less. Either way, not too hard to start highball, and put it on "Sale" if things don't move as quick as we like. Specific profit sharing, I'd like to offer you (The imaginary author), 35% of total sales. I think it's a fair price because we do not expect you as the licensee to do anything besides negotiations, and perhaps help with marketing numbers. We'd also be eating all the costs for hosting, bandwidth, advertising, dealing with the various stores (Apple giant, HUGE, pain in the ass), and maintenance. Besides agreeing to this license, and perhaps helping with setting prices, all you would have to do is let us port the game and do the rest. Not exactly free money, but definitely not a lot of effort on your part required since the game is already complete. We'd give you access to all sales data given to us from stores (Apple/Android/Paypal), and pay you monthly from those gross total sales.

Of course this deal specifically and uniquely hinges on several things, the first being Apple and the fact I have no idea if this will get through their insane "Quality" controls. So we should start negotiating with that for sure.
Ah, more specifics:

1) The imaginary game would not be Windows only. It is comparable to Animamundi only in horror game/art relevance content, not through the detailed workings of the game. The game would be portable through the download to all OS, Mac, Linux, everything except the iPad.
2) The animation portions of the game are unfortunately more intense. Not only would the layout be animated, but there would be in game animations at least ranking those of Animamundi's "explosion" effects, including moving clouds, running water, and sprite animations. Because of this, we believe that it will be a completely useless product for the iPhone/mobile web, and only wish to have it in computer-based browsers. We're not interested in Apple, putting the game through Apple's iProducts, or what they'd have to say, really.
3) On your point about the sellability of the game: The game is fully voiced, though again, not with AAA-list actors, but with accredited actors with accredited schooling. We point to the success of similar horror/trauma/drama games, such as Langmaor's Enzai, which sold very well, and of course, despite the lack of AAA-list VAs, Animamundi, which sold out in Japan at a price of 7140 yen, which is $83.25 USD. In addition to that, the game will also be translated in Japanese for that market.
4) Again, Apple is no concern to us. In fact, we are only interested in facebook seeing the game.

For these reasons, plus the most revolutionary aspect of the fact that the game will be released in more than one language at once, I believe that 25% of sales is fair.

EDIT:
Specific profit sharing, I'd like to offer you (The imaginary author), 35% of total sales.
Wait, this didn't mean that you were offering me only 35% of the sales of the game, did it? o_O