Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Almar

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#2611 Post by Almar »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Critique! Critique! Critique!... please :)

Ren

#2612 Post by Ren »

I'd say the main problem you have is that you don't imagine how the volumes really work and shade accordingly, but instead you work on a preconceived idea of how things should be (as opposed to how they could be).
Also, her left eye seems a bit too big, even considered it's nearer to the viewer, and the mouth a bit out of centre.

I'd advise making a scheme for yourself, once you have the basic idea on paper or on screen, so that you can adjust your sketch accordingly.

azraillesama
Regular

#2613 Post by azraillesama »

Invited as a guest artist, so I tried my best here... Though I missed shading /texturizing the stained glass orz.
Critiques are warmly welcomed.
Jason Cheng
Innovators Production Founder and CEO ( Site under development using Drupal )
Xile Ragnarok Online Co-Admin: xilero.net
DA: http://helrouis.deviantart.com
Developed Blog site: http://otakultura.com
Developed and Maintained Sites:divisionheaven.com patiopacificboracay.com blueandgreentours.com
MSN: jason.m.cheng@gmail.com

fortaat
Regular

#2614 Post by fortaat »

10+ points for bunny cloud.

* Stop using gradients so heavily for the skin. Either you paint it with brushes, or go over the final product with brushes. The gradients make the girls look like dolls, and messes basic shading you could have easily done by hand.
This problem was also prevalent in an earlier drawing you posted, as well as your Deviant account, so I say it should be high on the "To Improve" list.
The green skirt is fine, so I don't think you really need me for explanations.

* They don't make any shadows on the bed. They "float".

* The scene has a purple sunset light, which isn't reflected at all on the girls.

* the wall should have more shading, if only to hide the fact you used a pattern. I don't have a problem with the pattern itself, but if you add the smallest hint of shadows it will look better.

* Is the purple smudge under the left girl a different blanket from the yellow one?

* Right girl has an ugly hat. This is unacceptable, since women have all the good hats, like this one.

* The rubies on the right girl's shirt don't look like they're attached to the fabric.

* The throat of the left girl needs another go, highlighting the lights. Right now it looks like a tube, instead of a rounded triangle.

* Fair warning, I don't like "cute" faces - the girl on the left has something in her eye, and she says "Baaaaaaaah". The one on the right has a retarded smile, which seems quite detached from what's happening to her friend.

Nice piece, though as you said, it's still unrefined.

azraillesama
Regular

#2615 Post by azraillesama »

fortaat wrote:10+ points for bunny cloud.

* Stop using gradients so heavily for the skin. Either you paint it with brushes, or go over the final product with brushes. The gradients make the girls look like dolls, and messes basic shading you could have easily done by hand.
This problem was also prevalent in an earlier drawing you posted, as well as your Deviant account, so I say it should be high on the "To Improve" list.
The green skirt is fine, so I don't think you really need me for explanations.

* They don't make any shadows on the bed. They "float".

* The scene has a purple sunset light, which isn't reflected at all on the girls.

* the wall should have more shading, if only to hide the fact you used a pattern. I don't have a problem with the pattern itself, but if you add the smallest hint of shadows it will look better.

* Is the purple smudge under the left girl a different blanket from the yellow one?

* Right girl has an ugly hat. This is unacceptable, since women have all the good hats, like this one.

* The rubies on the right girl's shirt don't look like they're attached to the fabric.

* The throat of the left girl needs another go, highlighting the lights. Right now it looks like a tube, instead of a rounded triangle.
I'm using paint tool SAI on all my works btw, i don't use photoshop/gradients/smudge/dodge etc at all.

Thank you very much on pointing out my faults at the skin. Tbh they kept saying it looks like a doll but not telling me how to fix it including the shading at the neck.
I asked the leader of the group that I'm open for revisions , but they were okay with it already.
I am aware of the shadows, lack of shading on the walls.
But thank you for giving me the idea to use real life references on hats/accessories/clothing, since i have problem with it the most.
yep, it's a different blanket.

fortaat wrote: * Fair warning, I don't like "cute" faces - the girl on the left has something in her eye, and she says "Baaaaaaaah". The one on the right has a retarded smile, which seems quite detached from what's happening to her friend.
Though I kinda won't consider this one. Sounds like you're trolling rather than giving a crit :P My friends (who hates anime) clearly see it as curiosity love or something like that.

Anyway, you're a great help. At dA I receive critiques rarely but whenever I receive one , it's so rare that I remember it. So no worries I'll guarantee less mistakes the next time around.
Jason Cheng
Developed and Maintained Sites:divisionheaven.com patiopacificboracay.com blueandgreentours.com

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#2616 Post by MaiMai »

Decided to try one layer painting in SAI with a Pokemon OC I made up. I think it turned out okay

Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#2617 Post by sayuri »

Aww, how cute! I like her pokeball ties, even if red and pink don't work together. Can't do anything about it though. I kinda want to see her eyes though...

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#2618 Post by Sakurazaki »

Geh I've realised that my art quality is pretty poor compared to a lot of people here ;_;

Image for an RP, in a new coloring style.

http://reiwolf23.deviantart.com/#/d2wwgp7
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

azraillesama
Regular

#2619 Post by azraillesama »

Mai, that's way awesome for a one layer work. :D She's cute as well.
Jason Cheng

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#2620 Post by kinougames »

Sakurazaki wrote:Geh I've realised that my art quality is pretty poor compared to a lot of people here ;_;

Image for an RP, in a new coloring style.

http://reiwolf23.deviantart.com/#/d2wwgp7
I think your art is quite fabulous. :o
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

Almar

#2621 Post by Almar »

Ren wrote:I'd say the main problem you have is that you don't imagine how the volumes really work and shade accordingly, but instead you work on a preconceived idea of how things should be (as opposed to how they could be).
Also, her left eye seems a bit too big, even considered it's nearer to the viewer, and the mouth a bit out of centre.

I'd advise making a scheme for yourself, once you have the basic idea on paper or on screen, so that you can adjust your sketch accordingly.
Thank you so much! (sorry I haven't responded till now... I couldn't log in with chrome and I just tried FF O_O)

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by scheme? (do you mean perhaps a very basic sketch? :S)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2622 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Lilies
Regular

#2623 Post by Red Lilies »

Lol, helicopters FTW. Nice backgrounds, completely impressed. O.O
"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops" - Mortimer Brewster, Arsenic and Old Lace

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#2624 Post by yummy »

Nice backgrounds there Mugen-dono.
I think there's only a lack in the reflections (hues or something like that) and shadows from tree to tree, to make the scenes more lively, but overall, it's quite pretty.

fortaat
Regular

#2625 Post by fortaat »

Very nice BGs.
I really should go over your old background guide.

* The shadows on left benches are wrong - like they're a part of the ground.

* The leaves on the right tree have an odd contour. I guess you used Photoshop's feather, and than delete, which makes it look bad. I don't know what the original looked like, so I can't offer suggestions on what you should do.

* I think you should try an "out of focus" effect on the left trees and bushes.

* The helicopter is nice, but it should fight the alien invasion.