Idol/TYPE

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Idol/TYPE

#1 Post by mikey »

This is ATP Projects' last release for 2005. Thank you all very much for all the support and acceptance, for taking the time to play the games and most of all for sharing your thoughts about them.

With Idol/TYPE we give you a rather unconventional take on a ren'ai game, hopefully you'll find it interesting, even though it might take some getting used to.

http://atp.manga.sk/games/it/it.htm

Be sure to read through the readme file if you have any problems with understanding how it works or if you have technical difficulties.

See you in March 2006!
Last edited by mikey on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2 Post by musical74 »

*Downloading now*

If it's ANYTHING like your other games, mikey, I'll enjoy it immensely! I'll give you a pros and cons once I play it a bit )
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by mikey »

musical74 wrote:If it's ANYTHING like your other games, mikey, I'll enjoy it immensely! I'll give you a pros and cons once I play it a bit )
It's actually nothing like my other games. ^_^ But you know, have fun anyway. :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Tried it for a little bit, although I probably won't have time to play it for real until I'm done writing the paper I'm working on. One issue I found is that once a line is over, the cursor immediately goes to the next line, without needing to type any whitespace. That's weird, with respect to word processors and typewriters.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#5 Post by Blue Lemma »

So the glasses obsession continues :wink: 8)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:One issue I found is that once a line is over, the cursor immediately goes to the next line, without needing to type any whitespace. That's weird, with respect to word processors and typewriters.
Yes I know, I do mention this in the readme, because it's a bit unnatural. On my first tries I constantly found myself making errors because of this, but then I got the hang of it and it went smoothly, using a line-by-line approach.

On the plus side it does not allow you to speed away and somehow kind of slows down fast typers who would have a natural advantage because you have to constantly mind the end.

As I said, the line-by-line (look at line, memorize, type, lookat other line etc...) worked nicely for me as I can't type with my head up, with time and mistakes to spare. I know for the standard typing person this will be frustrating, but if you can think of it as a game rather than a typing sim, it should work. Feel free to nag on that theory though.
Blue Lemma wrote:So the glasses obsession continues...
I know. I am so pathetically obvious... :( :(

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

Does it work in XP? All I get is *We are sorry, but main.exe has had an error and has to shut down* :(
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by mikey »

It does and it should... :?
Perhaps try copying the .dll file mentioned in the readme to windows/system32. You can find the file in the "support" subdirectory of the game. Hopefully that works.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Is ATP going to start consistently using RenPy? Gakuen Redux was, so I thought it would be like that from now on...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by mikey »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Is ATP going to start consistently using RenPy? Gakuen Redux was, so I thought it would be like that from now on...
Well, my next project is planned relatively universally, so it can use Ren'Py or our standard engine. It isn't decided yet, and it won't be until quite late in the development.

mike.pr

#11 Post by mike.pr »

Hi m8s,

I'm programmer of this little game.
Sorry but I'm @work at the moment else I would immediatelly fix problem with missing spaces.

If is someone interested in this game type and wants to make game like this then let me know. I was thinking of making universal engine for typing games.

But that will need a lot of feedback and some developers wanting to make another Idol/Type.

Otherwise it would be just waste of time..

ozurr
Regular

#12 Post by ozurr »

mikey wrote:As I said, the line-by-line (look at line, memorize, type, lookat other line etc...) worked nicely for me as I can't type with my head up, with time and mistakes to spare. I know for the standard typing person this will be frustrating, but if you can think of it as a game rather than a typing sim, it should work. Feel free to nag on that theory though.
Add in a proper line-feed and an adjustable timer and you'll have a good tool to fix that 'head up' problem. :)
Nice game but, I would have preferd a pause at the end of each letter so I could read them.

Path 4, 35 minutes, 11 mistakes

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by monele »

Ouch, it's only playable in english keyboard layout? :/

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

ozurr>> As mike.pr mentioned, we should have a more text-editor feel in the next build, but nevertheless, it's nice to know one can play it either way. Although I'm not sure that will help if you can't type heads up. But it should make playing a bit easier.

monele>> Hmmm, so far it's the default input. You are referring to qwerty/qwertz, right?

diddyabc

#15 Post by diddyabc »

Interesting concept, though perhaps a little too frustrating at times.