Episodic games.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#16 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

Re: Episodic games.

#17 Post by kinougames »

There is also a special boss in Golden Sun 2 that you can only reach if you got all the Djinni from both games, and he gives you a massive weapon or something.
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#18 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Lilies
Regular

#19 Post by Red Lilies »

I remember playing the Golden Sun games, they are among my favorite. And they fit the idea of episodic games perfectly. Probably if the second game had never come out, I wouldn't have been heart broken, but I would have been disappointed. For the story to really be as amazing as it was, both games were necessary. Actually, I remember being really annoyed at the end of the first game, because while it was a conclusion, it wasn't the end, and I felt I had gotten cheated (then I found out there was the second one and all was good. XD). Episodic games should either be really able to stand on their own, or people will be sad if the second one never comes.
"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops" - Mortimer Brewster, Arsenic and Old Lace

Mirage
Veteran

#20 Post by Mirage »

@Kinougames

I haven't play Golden Sun either, so I can't comment on that.
If all the episodic games are 100 hours length, then I suppose it does warrant to be divided. Some of these games are probably gameplay heavy too as opposed to just story being the focus. I think people would buy it regardless the story ends or not.

In the case of VN where the story is the gameplay, I am not so sure. ^^;

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER »

Lots of PS2 episodic game is disappointing. Especially since it really feel like one game (that should be enough in one disc) that separated into several discs. I wouldn't complain about Gunslinger Girls game (9-stage less-than-4-hours game 3-discs), since people buy it for the anime DVD bonus. But Eureka Seven? 12-stage less-than-10-hours 2-discs game is kinda cheating for me... Hack games are also more or less feel the same.

If you plan a sequel or episodic game, never tell that to your costumers. Or they could feel cheated, or wait for the sequel to come around before deciding to buy the game.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

fortaat
Regular

#22 Post by fortaat »

LVUER wrote: If you plan a sequel or episodic game, never tell that to your costumers. Or they could feel cheated, or wait for the sequel to come around before deciding to buy the game.
As a customer, I'm guilty of such behavior. You're much more likely to sell me Dudebro 1 and 2, than Dudebro in episodes.
I don't want to risk hearing half a story, or getting a huge cliffhanger at the end. As Mirage said, in VNs getting a complete story is a bigger factor than it is on other genres.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by kinougames »

Mirage wrote:@Kinougames

I haven't play Golden Sun either, so I can't comment on that.
If all the episodic games are 100 hours length, then I suppose it does warrant to be divided. Some of these games are probably gameplay heavy too as opposed to just story being the focus. I think people would buy it regardless the story ends or not.

In the case of VN where the story is the gameplay, I am not so sure. ^^;
The games are actually fairly heavy on gameplay, though obviously it's still a technical qualifier as a visual novel. I'm really just wondering how long a visual novel can get before it's like ARRRRRRRRGH WHY IS THIS GAME STILL HEEEEEEEERE.
Lots of PS2 episodic game is disappointing. Especially since it really feel like one game (that should be enough in one disc) that separated into several discs. I wouldn't complain about Gunslinger Girls game (9-stage less-than-4-hours game 3-discs), since people buy it for the anime DVD bonus. But Eureka Seven? 12-stage less-than-10-hours 2-discs game is kinda cheating for me... Hack games are also more or less feel the same.

If you plan a sequel or episodic game, never tell that to your costumers. Or they could feel cheated, or wait for the sequel to come around before deciding to buy the game.
Honestly, I loved .hack. Each game is about 20 hours long, which is short for a PS2 game, but I definitely didn't feel cheated. I agree that a 12-stage-less-than-10-hours game is annoying.

At any rate, it's hard for me to say, but I'm fairly anti-episodic games as a general rule (to which there are exceptions). I'd much prefer a sequel, for sure. (Since you still get a full story, but it's not really a part of the original story, but an addition.)
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Mirage
Veteran

#24 Post by Mirage »

May I know what type of gameplay you are planning to make? If the gameplay is heavy, I don't think you can call it VN anymore.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by kinougames »

Mirage wrote:May I know what type of gameplay you are planning to make? If the gameplay is heavy, I don't think you can call it VN anymore.
Well, if you consider Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright visual novels, then I'd have to call my game a visual novel. Both of those games are pretty heavy on gameplay, but there's still an overarching story.

delta-ion
Projects: in progress: unnamed project

#26 Post by delta-ion »

I am not to sure about episodic games. As said before, I would always fear that the second part would never be released and so the whole story never revealed. As for the second game, I would prefer to play the first one first, so a warning about the second would be appreciated.
As for unlockable content, in my oppinion it would be fair to use this content to help the player finish the second part more easy, whereas I am not happy about content not being able to unlock only with the second part of the game.
About the introduction in the second game, I think it is necessary to explain the content of the first part in a way, that it wouldn't be essential to play the first part, because else only people who played the first one can enjoy it.
project homepage: http://delta-ion.tk
follow me on twitter

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by kinougames »

Well, usually the second in a series has some kind of note about it being the second game in the series.

I think that unlockables are good, but as an extra thing. If you need the first game to unlock a VITAL part of the second game, that's not to my liking, but if it's to get an extra, I think that is fair and a pretty good idea.

As for your last part, I feel the whole point of making a two part game is to make the parts most enjoyable when played together, to encourage people to do so. Still, a recap is a good thing.