[WIP] Sepia Tears ~midwinter's reprise~

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
ETERNAL
Regular
Projects: Sepia Tears

[WIP] Sepia Tears ~midwinter's reprise~

#1 Post by ETERNAL »

EDIT: Game is now released! Download at http://sepiatears.com
Last edited by ETERNAL on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ETERNAL
Regular

Re: [WIP] Sepia Tears ~midwinter's reprise~

#2 Post by ETERNAL »

Oh, I should have also said that I'm open to whatever miscellaneous discussion usually goes on in these forums. I apologize if I came off as a little stiff, but I wanted the first post to be clear and concise. Ultimately, this is still just a collaboration between fans, so whatever thoughts or comments you might have are more than welcome ^^

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#3 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Welcome. Good luck on your project.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#4 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raijenki
Regular

#5 Post by Raijenki »

woah, nice graphics.
I'll be looking for it :p

(btw, your website is off)

Quadratic
Regular
Projects: Dreamscape (VN)

#6 Post by Quadratic »

Very nice graphics @_@
How much will it cost? Or will it be free? o-o

ETERNAL
Regular

#7 Post by ETERNAL »

Quadratic wrote:Very nice graphics @_@
How much will it cost? Or will it be free? o-o
Totally free. And thank you :D

Ren

#8 Post by Ren »

I quite like the graphics myself, and Mugen's backgrounds keep improving and looking better and better, too.
I'm curious about the mystery, I'll keep an eye on this. :3

Quadratic
Regular

#9 Post by Quadratic »

Since it's free, it's on my watch list~ :D
Who's the artist? "Choux"? Does (s)he come here?
A few more questions:

Even though it's free to download, are the staff being paid? Or is it voluntary?
I'm asking because of my own Visual Novel team (or lack thereof), we still need artists and backgrounds and stuff. And I love those characters so much, and the backgrounds are amazing. <3

ETERNAL
Regular

#10 Post by ETERNAL »

Quadratic wrote:Since it's free, it's on my watch list~ :D
A few more questions:

Even though it's free to download, are the staff being paid? Or is it voluntary?
I'm asking because of my own Visual Novel team (or lack thereof), we still need artists and backgrounds and stuff. And I love those characters so much, and the backgrounds are amazing. <3
I'm pretty sure Choux has visited this forum before but I don't think she's a regular. I'm actually not a regular either. We're both anime bloggers so we know each other from the blogosphere, and I noticed that she was a good artist so I asked her last year if she wanted to help make a VN.

The only things in this project that I'm paying for are things that aren't directly part of the game, like the website (which isn't up yet). It can be really hard to recruit skilled creators for free; if it helps at all, I originally wrote the scenario for this game two years ago but I couldn't get any permanent members until a full year later because I simply didn't know anyone at the time. You're probably better off asking friends and people your own age/skill level since the more well-known artists on dA, etc. are probably used to getting commissions so they won't work for free. I think the best people for these projects are students of their respective art forms (visual, music, etc) who are more interested in gaining experience and building a portfolio/resume than making money. As for the BGs, I love them too, and I'm quite lucky that Mugen offered to help out ;P

Quadratic
Regular

#11 Post by Quadratic »

ETERNAL wrote:
A few more questions:

I'm pretty sure Choux has visited this forum before but I don't think she's a regular. I'm actually not a regular either. We're both anime bloggers so we know each other from the blogosphere, and I noticed that she was a good artist so I asked her last year if she wanted to help make a VN.

The only things in this project that I'm paying for are things that aren't directly part of the game, like the website (which isn't up yet). It can be really hard to recruit skilled creators for free; if it helps at all, I originally wrote the scenario for this game two years ago but I couldn't get any permanent members until a full year later because I simply didn't know anyone at the time. You're probably better off asking friends and people your own age/skill level since the more well-known artists on dA, etc. are probably used to getting commissions so they won't work for free. I think the best people for these projects are students of their respective art forms (visual, music, etc) who are more interested in gaining experience and building a portfolio/resume than making money. As for the BGs, I love them too, and I'm quite lucky that Mugen offered to help out ;P
Sounds about right. The majority of people I've asked have said they're busy with other stuff (commission, another VN, etc.). Now, I could wait for them to finish, and then get their help, but they just keep getting more work, it seems like it'll be years before they finish. On top of that, one amazing artist I found is willing to work for me, but says he can't draw guys for the life of him. So if I want his help, I have to... do something about that. |:

ETA?

ETERNAL
Regular

#12 Post by ETERNAL »

Quadratic wrote:
ETERNAL wrote:
A few more questions:

Sounds about right. The majority of people I've asked have said they're busy with other stuff (commission, another VN, etc.). Now, I could wait for them to finish, and then get their help, but they just keep getting more work, it seems like it'll be years before they finish. On top of that, one amazing artist I found is willing to work for me, but says he can't draw guys for the life of him. So if I want his help, I have to... do something about that. |:

ETA?
ETA was supposed to be this Christmas. No clue if we'll make it. I haven't done much advertising yet because the project is basically moving at its own pace, but I think next summer at the latest should be reasonable. It' just hard to estimate since it's my first project.

BTW, the artist I'm working with also can't draw guys, but she figured something out. Worst case scenario, it shouldn't be hard to find a male chara designer, unless your game requires a lot of male sprites. As you probably know, it's not unheard of for commercial Japanese VNs to have different artists for male designs and SD graphics, so it's not a huge deal.

Ametrya
Regular
Projects: Return to my life

#13 Post by Ametrya »

Oh, I love the design for the starry girl.
The story seems really intrigung :D

Quadratic
Regular

#14 Post by Quadratic »

ETERNAL wrote:
Quadratic wrote: Sounds about right. The majority of people I've asked have said they're busy with other stuff (commission, another VN, etc.). Now, I could wait for them to finish, and then get their help, but they just keep getting more work, it seems like it'll be years before they finish. On top of that, one amazing artist I found is willing to work for me, but says he can't draw guys for the life of him. So if I want his help, I have to... do something about that. |:

ETA?
ETA was supposed to be this Christmas. No clue if we'll make it. I haven't done much advertising yet because the project is basically moving at its own pace, but I think next summer at the latest should be reasonable. It' just hard to estimate since it's my first project.

BTW, the artist I'm working with also can't draw guys, but she figured something out. Worst case scenario, it shouldn't be hard to find a male chara designer, unless your game requires a lot of male sprites. As you probably know, it's not unheard of for commercial Japanese VNs to have different artists for male designs and SD graphics, so it's not a huge deal.
Sounds like someone I know... I'm trying to recruit them, too. They're using the same reasoning, "I can't draw guys," "But you can draw girls AMAZING, we can find someone else," "But I can't draw guys..."
x.x

choux

#15 Post by choux »

When it comes to guys...well...I believe that if an artist can draw girls, they can draw guys if they just grit their teeth and go at it (Lukas didn't turn out TOO bad...). Take Naru Nanao for example. I have no idea why they hired another artist to do the guys since her guys looked better (as can be seen from promotional art of Sola). Well, Minori probably ran out of money or something...

Also, HOLY CRAP THOSE ARE THE BACKGROUNDS? Whoa.

Edit: this can't be the first post I ever put here...I distinctively remember posting some other stuff a year ago...weird...