Kasuka

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#61 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Great game. I really liked it.

I liked how the characters were always wearing different clothing- that must've been a lot of extra work. I liked the different choices in the game. You chose not only what to say, but also what to do. It gives the player more freedom. It was also fairly easy to choose the outcome of the different choices you make- which I always consider to be a big plus

As far as the BGs go, I was impressed with some of them, but others I couldn't even recognize. It was refreshing to see some BGs that weren't just edits of photos.

Character art was good too. Though, it was kind of small, which made it a little hard to detect changes in facial expressions. On the other hand though, you were able to show lots of different poses- which was a really nice touch. (but, I can' help but wonder what the original art looked like...)

I think I can empathize with Seisha the most (she was the first one I went after), and I thought the scene in her room where she was crying was really touching.

All in all, great game

asuka kanea

cool game

#62 Post by asuka kanea »

I just played your game! it was cool. I liked how the characters changed their clothing. seisha was also my favorite character. great job!

Joshiii-Kun!

#63 Post by Joshiii-Kun! »

Hah. I played your game now, and I got the Seisha love ending :D yay, she's so much like me xD I think she's my favourite character (you might think, hey, but you only played it once! True, actually, I mean I finished it once xD)

The graphics need some work though, not that they were very bad, but there's always room for improvement :)
So, did you draw the characters in Photoshop, Flash or something like that? For mouse drawings they're not bad. If you have a scanner, you could try drawing the characters on paper first, inkt them, clean the lineart, scan it and edit it with photoshop a little.
About the backgrounds, well, they weren't that bad you know. I've seen worse :)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#64 Post by musical74 »

Well when Grey made the game, he said up front, *I'm no artist* so the fact that the graphics were what they were didn't really matter to me...I'm more of a character development guy anyway :) From that standpoint, it was very well done and definitely worth playing again and again =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#65 Post by rioka »

The style of the drawings gives it that touch/personalization that instantly screams "Made by Grey". Its part of the atmosphere of the game, imo, and it works quite well. More polished does not always equal better.

I don't know about everyone else but the queer/odd/slightly different artwork is what stands out in my mind. Seriously, all those nicely cel-shaded commercial Japanese game artwork just all look the same, imo.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#66 Post by musical74 »

eclipse wrote:I don't know about everyone else but the queer/odd/slightly different artwork is what stands out in my mind. Seriously, all those nicely cel-shaded commercial Japanese game artwork just all look the same, imo.
I agree completely. If I were to play a game where the graphics were slightly different - as they are in Kasuka - I'd notice it and pay more attention to the background and look more at the sytle than if I were playing, say, True Love, which has great graphics but if you were to ask me about the background my response would be *uhhhhh....* because I'm not paying attention to the background at all....but since Kasuka looks different, I'm more inclined to check out the background as well as the characters =)

Joshiii-Kun!

#67 Post by Joshiii-Kun! »

Aaargh why do I always have to regret everything I write or say :?
Nevermind what I said about the character art and stuff, actually I like it pretty much. I don't think the game would have the same atmosphere if the character art was different.
I don't know, the game's just awesome. I keep playing it. Even after I've finished it about 15 times :D

I always have that, a complete change of opinion. I think it's just because I'm hasty.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#68 Post by Alessio »

musical74 wrote:True Love, which has great graphics
I don't agree. I thought the graphics were horrible. ^_^;;;;;;

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by musical74 »

Joshiii-Kun!: No worries :) You'll find everyone has their one tastes and some people like a game because of the story over the graphics - although if a game has a great story and good graphics, it doesn't hurt =)

Alessio: I was trying to think of a commercial-based anime game and True Love was the first one I could of...maybe not the best example for comparing Grey's artwork :)

Joshiii-Kun!

#70 Post by Joshiii-Kun! »

musical74 wrote:Joshiii-Kun!: No worries :) You'll find everyone has their one tastes and some people like a game because of the story over the graphics - although if a game has a great story and good graphics, it doesn't hurt =)
:) I know, but I posted an opinion which was just wrong. Just wanted to rectify that :P

Grey
Veteran

#71 Post by Grey »

Oh, discussion!

Yes, Kasuka's art's not too good. I agree. It would be nice if I could draw better, but this is what I could do two years ago.

I'd think I've improved since then, and I think that that is evident in Heikou, but I'm still no real artist.

So failing beautiful art, at the time of release, if I'm happy that the art conveys some of what I want it to, and the characters look in essence the way I want them to look then that's how I'll release it.

So with better graphics it could possibly be amazing, but any replacement art would really have to impress me. In the meantime this is what it is, and people seem to find that the interactivity and the characters make it worth playing despite that, which is rather pleasing :D

eclipse wrote:The style of the drawings gives it that touch/personalization that instantly screams "Made by Grey"
:lol: :lol: Ha, I like that :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#72 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:I don't know about everyone else but the queer/odd/slightly different artwork is what stands out in my mind. Seriously, all those nicely cel-shaded commercial Japanese game artwork just all look the same, imo.
Grey wrote:
eclipse wrote:The style of the drawings gives it that touch/personalization that instantly screams "Made by Grey"
I like it too, but it's actually a serious thing... :?

I have over time learned to really like true fan-made works. I have always prefered passion over polish, emotion over logic and there's just no way you can have this in a standard commercial game. The graphics are always too sterile, too symmetric, the story is too well rounded, it lacks plot holes and anything that would make it feel that that was a work of someone who started with nothing but an idea.

I do admit I didn't like the art in Kasuka (the BGs, not the characters), but it's hard to judge a game days after its release. With time it all started to make much more sense and of course Kasuka really shines in gameplay. I also really like the fact that Grey didn't give in to all those requests, that kind of proves that it just wouldn't feel that honest if it was changed to be "more appealing" to the general gaming audience. I know I was one of the people who wanted "better" graphics, so I have the more respect. 8)

Trafagal
Regular

Re:

#73 Post by Trafagal »

Grey wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:32 pm Oh, discussion!

Yes, Kasuka's art's not too good. I agree. It would be nice if I could draw better, but this is what I could do two years ago.

I'd think I've improved since then, and I think that that is evident in Heikou, but I'm still no real artist.

So failing beautiful art, at the time of release, if I'm happy that the art conveys some of what I want it to, and the characters look in essence the way I want them to look then that's how I'll release it.

So with better graphics it could possibly be amazing, but any replacement art would really have to impress me. In the meantime this is what it is, and people seem to find that the interactivity and the characters make it worth playing despite that, which is rather pleasing :D

Came here to see if I have any luck to try some games that was made years ago.

Seems like the download link is down from the main website. Any chance to bring it back? :D
Check out some of my stuffs here:https://linktr.ee/theartofjoshlab

Art Portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/theartofjoshlab/

Working on a personal Visual Novel~

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Kasuka

#74 Post by Alex »

Didn't found this game..., but you could try some other retro games - https://games.renpy.org/

Trafagal
Regular

Re: Kasuka

#75 Post by Trafagal »

Alex wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:04 am Didn't found this game..., but you could try some other retro games - https://games.renpy.org/
Thanks Alex!
Check out some of my stuffs here:https://linktr.ee/theartofjoshlab

Art Portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/theartofjoshlab/

Working on a personal Visual Novel~