Will it work on windows 98?

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^

Will it work on windows 98?

#1 Post by Guest »

I use windows 98 and I'm having trouble. I downloaded it successfully but I don't know how to get into it.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Hmm, this might be the second time I'm hearing of this problem.... (are one of the people who posted on MT?) Hopefully this isn't a widespread issue :(

I'm not sure what your level of computer proficiency is, so I'll try to explain how to run the program in detail. Please forgive me if this is a big "DUH" to you, but I'm just trying to make sure :)

Step 1: Download ToL1.zip from the website.
Step 2: Using a decompression program such as WinZip, EasyZip, WinAce, etc., Extract all of the files in ToL1.zip into the SAME directory.
(Note: EasyZip is freeware, so I use that :))
Step 3: Read the readme.txt file.
Step 4: Run "Tales of Lemma 1.exe" and the program should start up. If it responds but doesn't work (i.e. the screen flickers or you get an error message) then please report it here along with what version of Windows you are running. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible!

NOTE: You can try running the Allegro Setup program that is distributed in the ToL1.zip file if you have sound problems or mouse problems. From there you can change the mouse and sound settings.

Please let me know if this helped!

Evil-Bob

#3 Post by Evil-Bob »

I just downloaded the zip file and was able to successfully unzip all the files, but when I execute the exe file it gives me an error message about not being able to set the video mode.

Win 98
Video Card is an STB Velocity 128 8MB
Tried both 800X600 and 1024X768 resoltuions running 16 bit color.

Think of anything I could try or any other infomation you need just let me know.

ozurr
Regular

#4 Post by ozurr »

Im using win98se on an M810 pcchips motherboard
with onbard video and sound and it works great.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#5 Post by Blue Lemma »

Evil Bob: There are a few things I can think of that may be causing the problem:

1) Your video card isn't supporting DirectX or your version of it is too old

2) You can't run DirectX in 640x480x16 mode on your system

If you can run DirectX in 24 bit color or 32 bit color in 640x480 mode, try setting your computer to 24-bit or 32-bit color before running the game. Then the computer will try to use those color modes with the game, possibly fixing the problem.

Evil-Bob

#6 Post by Evil-Bob »

Thanks. I kicked the video card up to 32 bit color from 16 and it works!

It keeps closing after I tye in my name.

#7 Post by Guest »

When ever i get to the screen where you type in your name after I do it the the program closes. What do I do?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#8 Post by Blue Lemma »

I've never heard of that problem, but I'll look into it and get back to you.