[roseverte] duplicity ~Eternal Lie~

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

[roseverte] duplicity ~Eternal Lie~

#1 Post by Chu-3 »

Hi.
This is my first GxB game that I made using LiveMaker 3.0.
I believed that azure had made a thread about this game a few months ago here.

I'm sorry that I need to postpone the release date many times because of some issues we had.
The game is released now, though still you might find some miss-typo, or other expression that should be changed to other sentences/ dialogues.

Please check my circle official site at http://roseverte.net<new site url!
and you'll be able to download the game there.

Specification
【Title】dUpLicity ~Eternal Lie~
【Genre】GxB Love Simulation Game (Novelize Game)
【Release Date】10/10/04 (v1.1)
【Rating】Recommended for 15 years +
【Price】Freeware
【Resolution】640x480
【Play Hours】30-40 minutes for each route (Total: 2 routes in all)
【Number of Capturable Characters】2
【Event CG】13 scenes(Not including the branches)
【Endings】7
【Game Engine】LiveMaker 3.0

Please follow steps below if your game crashes when access config, continue etc.
Go to your control panel, click on Regional and Language Settings. Choose advance tab and then select Japanese for non-unicode program's code.

mods: I dunno if I permit to make a thread of a game that doesn't made by Ren'py or not so please delete this thread if you found it is not suitable. Thanks

DOWNLOAD FROM THIS SITE
Last edited by Chu-3 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

aya001
Regular

Re: [roseverte] duplicity

#2 Post by aya001 »

I'm gonna play it now, I like the artwork, let's see how it is ^^

BTW the link you posted doesn't work, you have to change hrrp for http, or at least for me works only if I change that :/

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

For the broken link:

Website URL: http://roseverte.tk/
DL: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EUPYTGQ0 (86.7 MB)

(just to help you out, Chu-3)
I believe you're very allowed to post non-Ren'Py games here, as long as they're Visual Novels.

~~~
Downloading now! I will post my review here after playing. :3

Eeeeh. I'm sorry the game crashes for me. It crashes when I click "config", "continue",e and it crashes after the white on black text introduction in the story. "gallery" works just fine, though. I'm on Windows XP, SP3. Sorry. >_<

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King

#4 Post by Chu-3 »

ah i'm sorry about the link ^^;;; actually someone just pull out my internet line just a while after i posted my message so i thought my message was failed. so i fixed it now :)

@Aleema
that's new @.@ have you tried to play once again?
as far no one at my team has reported such issue. i'll check it again, but since i use japanese os here, it might take more time.
actually there are more feature that can be added to the system, like using mouse to access backlog etc, but the game crashed sometime when i tried it. it might be caused of the unstabilized game engine, so please tell me if you still find the issue after restart the game.

i'm starting to make the plan for the full version now, and i plan to make a lot of change there.
(like the game play and some character personality)
so it would be so helpful if you can tell me what should i fix or change to make it better :)

thx
Last edited by Chu-3 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirage
Veteran

#5 Post by Mirage »

This looks like a good game, but I am experiencing the same problem as Aleema.
It crashed when I clicked on Config, and after the short intro in the beginning.
Btw, I used Window 7

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Aleema »

I would love to give you feedback, but the game is simply not working for me. ;_;
My guess is that it has something to do with Japanese characters. Perhaps the game references materials/images that have Japanese names (and not in roman letters)? That might break the game for non-Japanese native OS.

Chu-3
Veteran

#7 Post by Chu-3 »

yeah you right... i have my test team at America and since they never told me about such issues, I thought there was no problem with the OS.
wait, i'll borrow my bro's pc now and test it.
btw have you already tried to change the setting to japanese?

what i'm afraid is, the game engine is a japanese one, and there are some default settings in japanese that i can't change.
maybe the only way to solve it is by changing the language setting.
btw please let me know, does your computer support Japanese characters? or not at all?

add: i wonder if it has sth related with the font type.
i use MS Gothic as default font.
do you have it on your computer?

btw please try to look at control panel> region and language's option>advance tab
change the non-unicode programs to japanese.

Jake
Support Hero

#8 Post by Jake »

Aleema wrote: My guess is that it has something to do with Japanese characters. Perhaps the game references materials/images that have Japanese names (and not in roman letters)? That might break the game for non-Japanese native OS.
Did you try running the game with Applocale?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Aleema »

Jake wrote:Did you try running the game with Applocale?
Huh. That didn't work either. Guess I was wrong?

... OKAY! I have gotten it to work now. I had to do what you suggested, Chu. I had to set the default language in non-unicode programs to Japanese. It required me to get out my WinXP install CD and restart my computer. Not the most user-friendly thing for your game. But at least the game works now and I can give you feed back. Maybe put that in your first post, since most of us will probably not have Japanese set as our default?

Now to play ~

littleramyun
Regular
Projects: Don't Go Saiyuri!

#10 Post by littleramyun »

Just to put it down before I forget:
There is an inconsistency. She says she met Youji a year ago and goes in to their similarity as to why they became lovers, but then it's said that she is monitoring him for Kouichi, and she knew about his clone two years ago. It doesn't make sense since she would know the truth about Youji.
Also, there isn't much of an explanation or reason as to why Yukina is supposed to act like a sweet girl, it just didn't make much sense to me. It seems that she drops the act of being his lover altogether and that was what they were referring to, but it wasn't clear to me.
It seems there are some other things like this. They could probably be caught by proofreaders and fixed.
I'm still playing it. The graphics and music are nice, and the story is fairly fast paced, which I like.
Indie Game Localization and Distribution

Chu-3
Veteran

#11 Post by Chu-3 »

@Aleema
yep... now i begin to think to use ren'py for the next project >< (at least it works with japanese os too)

@littleramyun (about the story)
maybe i need to add more explanation here.
yes. yukina already know all fact about youji since the first time she met him 1 year ago. and the first line about the similarity, what i want to say is, that is a lie from yukina to herself/user. as you said, maybe it would be better if i add a monologue here when yukina talked to herself about the reality.
I also already get informed by other player about the personality, which, I planned to change a bit or more at the full version.
I want her really cold actually. So when Kouichi asked her to be youji's girlfriend. She feels so crap and doesn't have any idea how to act as a lover. That's why she act like a sweet lover, which she thought that it's needed, after searching some dating magazine.

Mana

#12 Post by Mana »

Um...Could you upload it in another website ? Megaupload is blocked where I am..

Chu-3
Veteran

#13 Post by Chu-3 »

http://www.multiupload.com/AX3H2CCQH9

hope you find server to download there :)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Aleema »

I haven't gotten all 7 endings, just 1-4. I'm missing over ten CGs, so I feel very unqualified to review the game, but I've been trying every combination of the choices, and I'm just getting the same stuff over and over, so if someone gets endings 5-7, please fill me in! ;)

Here are some of my thoughts:
- The story is very unique and I love it. I was confused at first. I didn't make the connection between the clone and Youji, and thought there was going to be a 3rd character, but it never happened. I didn't feel the transition to the flashback was clear enough. I think there was a LIGHT fluffy white border, but not noticeable enough, fades or not ... >_< Maybe I'm just stupid.

- Is Yukina a clone herself? She seems like a test tube baby, or supernatural in some way. (The sound effects made it seem like her body was acting weird -- and the crazy-eyed graphic when she threatens the dog confused me -- but now I know it was just stylistic to make her look really mad.) Acting like she doesn't have feelings or know what love is ... surely she would encounter these feelings if she went to public school or just in general went out into society? Being an orphan doesn't automatically make people insensitive like that, I don't think. Maybe I'm missing something from her backstory. What happened before Kouichi found her to make her like that (did the loss of her family make her repress her feelings)? If she is very reclusive and worked too much in the laboratory, maybe you should say so? Or, maybe again, I have missed it. >_>
Anyway, I loved how it's still a "falling in love" story, even though she's already dating him in the beginning of it. It's innocent, pure love. Which chicks dig, apparently.

- Some of the wording was odd to me, of course. BUT, I am glad that I was able to understand it and play it in English, so I won't complain. But since this is just a catalogue of my thoughts, please take these as just my opinion and not necessary the "right" thing to do:

- The word "lovers" is used a lot. Way more than any English user typically would, and not in the context that it is being used for. I assume it is the translation of koibito, which makes perfect sense, but in English "lovers" implies sex. Like, you're having sex, so you're lovers. I think "girlfriend", "boyfriend", and "dating" are way more appropriate here for you. It will be slightly harder to insert because it depends on the gender you are talking about. "You must be his girlfriend." "He must be your boyfriend." Though most naturally, he would say: "You must date him." And: "We are lovers." --> "We are dating." But I understood what you were trying to say, so it's not that big of a deal.

- I kept reading "sama" as in "Kouichi sama" as a separate word and it was troublesome. Usually, English users put a hyphen (-) or just combine the title with the name: "Kouichi-sama" or "Kouichisama" to keep it from seeming like a completely separate word. Which brings me to ...

- They're obviously Japanese and in Japan. I suppose it is a stylistic decision to keep them saying "sama", though I never heard a "kun" or "san" anywhere else. And the random Japanese like "sayonara" and "baka" seemed out of place. While I and other Japan-nerds will know what it means, it will alienate those that don't. Like having to set my computer's default language to Japanese, this will limit your audience again. I'm not sure how much you care -- if you made the game bilingual because you care about reaching more players with your story or if you wanted to practice your English. I'm not sure, so take what you can from that.

- The dog scene. I didn't really like how I had to chase the dog to get any good ending. Does she actually hurt the dog? It's hard to tell what is happening from speech alone. Youji comments about her aggressive personality, and all I can picture is her actually hurting the dog. And that's not nice. Though I see where you're going. Maybe if you make it seem like she's playing tug-of-war or is chasing it put cannot catch it?

- In ending #4, Yukina kisses Youji and likes it, and she says something like, "I don't know how to describe the feeling, but it's sweet." What I liked about the previous kiss scenes is that she felt her own heart beat. So I want her to describe how she feels! She can still say "I don't know how to describe it" ... "BUT, my heart is ___, my body is ____, and I want to ____ forever." You know?

- I liked your use of sound effects. A lot of VNs ignore this and I think it adds so much to a story. It was a little weird when the music cut out to play a sound effect, making the emphasis on the sound more important than it should be (the whooshing sound made me wonder what was happening at that time. I guess it just represents a "sweeping" feeling? Like rose petals in the wind? lol) Your game engine didn't let me skip through some of the SFX, however, and that was annoying, especially after trying to play through it so much to get all the endings.

- Music was awesome. Good selection.

I've gotten a good ending for Youji, but I was trying to get Kouichi, which I guess I did. I just didn't feel satisfied by that ending. ^^; Maybe Ending 5, 6, or 7 is what I want, but I don't know how to get there. Oh well!
Overall, great game! I'm glad you decided to make an English version and to share it with us. I would have been very sad if you had not translated it. English otome games are in high demand, and so little are actually being made. So let us stick together and make good games for each other! :3

I do recommend Ren'Py if you're open to change. It's the best system for VNs I've come across. And it's the most flexible, too. It's really darn good. So if you make your next game in it, know we'll be here to give you support! :D

Mirage
Veteran

#15 Post by Mirage »

I'd gotten all 7 endings.

My review:
Good points
+ The graphic is nice, I don't have much complain. I quite enjoy seeing them. (Maybe not naked Kouichi, but... XD)
+ I like the music too. Quite fitting, and some of them set the mood well.
+ The premise is interesting. It gets me interested when they are talking about clones.
+ The comedy is hilarious. I laughed at many of the scenes. (Usually involves with Yukina attacking the guys, or the sudden change of underground lab to luxurious suite.)
+ Yukina's personality is awesome. XD

Stuff can be improved
- Although the premise is good, I am quite disappointed that it never get explored. it feels like it was there just to get some drama. (Kinda like H-game where the story is just there to get all the H-scene.)
- The balance between serious and comedy isn't good. I can't tell if the series wanted to be serious or funny.

Personal pet peeves
- I thought there are too many kiss scenes. I like a more subtle romance. Many of the scenes are too forceful for my liking.

Overall: It's good as comedy, but the serious side of the story is lacking. I like to see more exploration of the story in the full version.