[WIP] NOSTALGIA -fragment of memory

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
jelly-crown
Projects: Nostalgia
Organization: Macchiato Games

[WIP] NOSTALGIA -fragment of memory

#1 Post by jelly-crown »

PLOT
Chisato wakes up in a hospital with no memory.
“who am i now, in this moment...?”
“what kind of person was i before this...?”
“more importantly, what happened to me...?”
All of his questions are unclear.
With his parents gone, Chisato moves into the guest home of a girl named Kizuna. Although he is grateful for this, he does not know his connection to the girl, or why she treates him with such familiarity.
He feels like a stranger in a world that should be familiar to him, as if he's a foreigner to the planet.
Surrounded by his classmates, they are his only links to his past, the pieces to his fragmented memory...

CHARACTER

Konoha Chisato - The protagonist. One day he woke up in a hospital suffering from complete amnesia, not even knowing his own name. Why was he in a coma? What was his childhood...? Who did he love...?
Nakano Kizuna – A girl who was at Chisato's bedside when he woke up in the hospital. Although he does not know who she is, she allows him to stay in her family's guest house, for an unusual price. She enjoys teasing people and is a bit of a loud-mouth.
Ueda Miki – A girl in Chisato's class, she is quickly flustered and easily blushes. Although Miki is scatter-brained she makes very good grades. Many people admire her for her cute look accompanied with her intelligence.

Konoe Mifuyu
– A quiet and introvereted girl in Chisato's class, not too many people acknowledge her. She is a part of the garden club, the lone member. Although she is a complete loner, she seems to have an interest in Chisato when he returns to school...

FEATURES
-View and recall memories as they are remembered in MEMORY MODE, and begin piecing together the mystery of your past...
-Several endings depending on the choices you make. You need every ending to complete your memories. {There will be at least 7 endings}
-Brief NVL scenes. [Example]
-Three super moe obtainable girls for you to choose from.

NOTES
The purpose of this game is the importance of memory and how our past defines ourselves in the future. Amnesia is a fairly common plot device {especially in visual novels} but I'm trying to integrate it into my game creatively.
My goal is to make a story-driven, pure-love bishoujo game that can hopefully appeal to female players as well. This is my first VN so I am open to critiques and suggestions, none too much though as this is a solo project and will be a long, difficult progress for me already without criticism. Nonetheless I hope at least one person can look forward to my game...

PROGRESS
-Story 100%
-Script 15%
-Sprites 60%
-CGs 0% OTL

This post will be updated a lot... when I start finish the character sprites I'll put them here so don't forget to check sometimes~
Last edited by jelly-crown on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

Re: [WIP] NOSTALGIA -fragment of memory

#2 Post by broken_angel »

The concept of collecting memories (and being able to review them), putting them together like a puzzle, is a very unique idea.
I like it a lot. C:

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

jelly-crown

#3 Post by jelly-crown »

Thank you! Hopefully I can figure out how to do everything I want with my very little knowledge of programming...

jelly-crown

#4 Post by jelly-crown »

Well I'm making quite a bit of progress, here's a screenshot.
Obviously I still have to make the other character sprites, but I've been busy with the script, which I believe is the most important part. {As well as the easiest part, for me.} Now if only I can find someone to help me with designing the textbox...

sn0w255
Regular

#5 Post by sn0w255 »

Interested. Looking forward to seeing more.

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#6 Post by cloudyssky »

Lovely work and lovely concept! I'd help with the textbox bit if I knew how to!
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

\Nish/
Regular

#7 Post by \Nish/ »

Yeah, memory is a rather used plot device, but as long as there's something interesting to give to the audience, you'll be fine.
(FYI, I'm also working on a story with the mc having memory problems. Eh.)
Needless to say, I like where this is going as well as the art. Best of luck!

jelly-crown

#8 Post by jelly-crown »

Update with Miki and Chisato's images~ Lastly will be Mifuyu and one side character, then, I will have a demo out. The progress is going well.
Thanks for showing interest, it helps to motivate me.
>\Nish/ Good luck on your game, even though we have a similar concept surely our games will be very different from each other. ^^

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

Looks cool... Where'd you get those backgrounds?

A textbox isn't so difficult to put together. Try researching some designs here. http://vndb.org/

vasudaprime

#10 Post by vasudaprime »

I like the character sprites. Kizuna's hairstyle reminds me a little of Fiona (from Allison & Lillia):

(Source)

One day he woke up in a hospital suffering from complete amnesia, not even knowing his own name.
Ouch :(. The few VN's I've played that involved amnesia usually had it as quite mild, i.e. forgetting some memories from a few years ago. Looks like you're dropping the protagonist straight in at the deep end. I can't wait to play this; best of luck :).

jelly-crown

#11 Post by jelly-crown »

@Samu-kun
I got the one in the screenshot here - http://winddorf.oops.jp/1top.htm,
Thanks, that's a good idea. I reference that site quite a bit but never payed much attention to the textboxes.
@vasudaprime
Yeah, most of the VNs I played are like that too. Amnesia is often portrayed rather unrealistically, like, forgetting a certain memory for no reason at all, then suddenly remembering it at a convenient time. So I want to experiment with the idea a little more. This is my attempt to be original.

Eken--Death
Regular
Projects: Reverse! (temp. name)

#12 Post by Eken--Death »

I like the plot, the characters, and the art! SO PRETTIFUL! Very nice! Can't wait for it to come out!

\Nish/
Regular

#13 Post by \Nish/ »

>\Nish/ Good luck on your game, even though we have a similar concept surely our games will be very different from each other. ^^
Than you! And yes, although our concepts are similar, I'm pretty sure it's going to be very different. (For one thing, my story doesn't set in a school and the mc is in his twenties)

Looking good, keep up the good work! :)

jelly-crown

#14 Post by jelly-crown »

@Eken--Death
Thanks! I can't predict when the full game will be out but hopefully there will be a demo shortly.
@\Nish/
Thank you ^^

Random question: does anyone know approximately how many words equals one hour of gameplay? I want this to be a somewhat long game so I need to set a goal for myself...

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#15 Post by Samu-kun »

I think about 40 000 words, depending largely on one's read speed.