[WIP?] Starlit Dreams (B/GxB/G)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

[WIP?] Starlit Dreams (B/GxB/G)

#1 Post by broken_angel »

Update - 3/25/2011

I'm sorry to everyone who has been looking forward to this game.
It's just been one thing after another - whether it be computer problems (across two different computers, even!), a total lack of inspiration, and now my background artist saying "Oh, by the way, I've moved on so I won't be doing any more of your backgrounds" after months of no communication.

In short, it will probably be a very long time before this game is released. I will finish it - I'm determined to - but by the time I do, it will probably be something completely different. As I'm envisioning now, it's already a very different game from when I last released the demo; the only things that will stay the same are the characters and the setting...heck, maybe not even that, if I can't find a new background artist.

Anyway, for the reasons mentioned above, I'm taking down this info thread for now. I don't want people to stumble upon this thread and get the wrong idea - i.e. that progress is being made or that it's going to be a "light-hearted business sim" as originally planned. Neither is true.

Once again, I apologize.
While I'm not throwing in the towel just yet...I don't expect to get anything done anytime soon, not with all these setbacks.
Last edited by broken_angel on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 48 times in total.

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Re: [WIP] Starlit Dreams (GxB/GxG) - Now Recruiting!

#2 Post by mysterialize »

I don't know why, but I've always liked management sims, and this one looks potentially pretty good.

The art style looks pretty interesting and unique, and looks great on the girls, though I'll admit that most of the guys look really feminine. I thought James was a woman at first, until I read his profile. The doctor's portrait is nice, though. Probably because his lips aren't as pink and noticeable.

Anyways, there's probably not much I could do art-wise for something like this, but I'm always up for editing. I actually enjoy it, for some reason.
Last edited by mysterialize on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

broken_angel
Veteran

#3 Post by broken_angel »

Haha, yeah, the art style is very...interesting, indeed.
I don't mind it, though, since I have a tendency to go for the girly guys, anyway. >.>

And I'll keep you in mind for when I get some more of it written. C:

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#4 Post by mysterialize »

LET ME OFFER EDITING SKILLS WHILE MAKING SEVERAL TYPOS IN MY POST

Clearly the best business strategy. Sorry about that. -_-

Sublime

#5 Post by Sublime »

This looks very promising. The character art looks great and the character summaries sounded very interesting. Sounds like you'll have a creative cast to look forward to. Can't wait to see a demo!

I would be more than happy to help, but I also don't have any talent in art, coloring, or composing music. But if you're in need of an extra editor at some point I would be delighted to assist.

broken_angel
Veteran

#6 Post by broken_angel »

To mysterialize:

It's okay, I didn't even notice them. xD

To Sublime:

Glad you think so!
Yes, they're definitely a creative cast, to say the least. :lol: They'll be fun to work with.

And I'll keep you in mind as an editor in the future. ^^

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#7 Post by Nellie »

Stimulation <3

The project sound really interesting - can't wait!

I'm quite useless so can't offer any help - unless you don't mind amateur class theme songs with vocals (mainly vocaloids lol)

Best of lucks!

Regards,
Nellie

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#8 Post by Aleema »

Very interesting game if you can pull it off. :D
James and Ani remind me a lot of Ruka and Kou (TokiMemo GS3), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
You already have a demo ready? You're a fast worker! Or do you secretly have a sweat shop at your disposal?
I haven't seen anywhere: is this game free or commercial? Found it, nevermind. XD
Four GxG and GxB? Is there any reason you didn't go BxG as well? Since there isn't that much of a plot, like you said, what was the cost?
I'm most interested in how this management is actually being designed and coded. What does it look like? How do you do it? What business do you have? What products do you design? It's very vague at the moment. Unless you're going complete freedom route, which is just "whatever you want (within these choices)".
Reminds me a lot of my game, just a business instead of a band. :D So, of course, I approve!

broken_angel
Veteran

#9 Post by broken_angel »

To Nellie: Thanks. C:

By the way, I did get your PM...I'm about a fourth of the way through proof-reading it.

To Aleema:

I've never played that game. O.o But now I'm interested.

And I don't have a demo yet - I'm still finishing up some graphics work and coding and whatnot, and I'm still waiting for the main character's art - but I'm getting close. xP

There isn't any particular reason for not going BxG as well. I actually thought about making a male version of the main character, but that would've cost more money and I didn't think it was that necessary. It would mean a different set of heart events, and with six main events for each character plus others, that would be a lot of extra writing. There's also the fact that, once again, most of these characters weren't made specifically for this game, so Seiko is a very precious character to me.
Anyway, she's fairly gender-neutral as it is, and through changing her traits and hairstyle, you can make her even more so. In other words, I think that even with only a female MC, even boys should be able to play and enjoy the game. However, if there's really a demand for a male MC (and if I somehow come across an extra pile of money), I may be willing to add one. Okay, fine, I'm adding one. xD I can't afford the CG scenes I want, anyway, so I might as well put what money I do have towards something else that would actually add to the game-play.

In the game, your business - as of right now - is designing and manufacturing cybernetic prosthetics (hence the "wacky business" part, and why the doctor is your business rival). If I get really ambitious, I may add a choice as to the type of products you sell (as in, instead of prosthetics, you could sell...say...robotic pets), though all of them will be the kind of choices that make you go "Huh...?"
As of right now, though, I have enough to do as it is with just one type of business. xD

broken_angel
Veteran

#10 Post by broken_angel »

I made excellent progress last night by getting a majority of the remaining coding (for the basic loop, anyway) done...

...And then my computer died. Just...died. -__________-

I'll take it to the computer store tomorrow.
Hopefully, they can salvage the hard drive...if not, I'm thoroughly screwed. D:

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#11 Post by Nellie »

Fingers crossed for you! It's annoying especially when there's no backup!! (My desktop is currently dead as well... Urgh!)

Can't wait to see a demo!! xD

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#12 Post by Pyonkotchi »

oooh that sucks D:
This game was getting so much progress and looks amazing. I hope it all works out ;n;

If your computer gets saved, The first thing you should do is copy all of your scripts and images onto a USB drive, Don't got one, GET one. It will save a lot of headache

Because the same kind of thing happened to me once, I almost cried xD
Thankfully I keep most of my stuff on my USB, I like to be able to use Ren'Py on any computer o3o

so anything that was already programmed got saved.

broken_angel
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Starlit Dreams (B/GxB/G) - Now Recruiting!

#13 Post by broken_angel »

Well, I had most of it backed up on my external harddrive.
But I came home for the weekend and left most of my stuff back at school, so it was just the last few days' worth that I lost. Unfortunately, that was a lot to lose. -.-;

Luckily, it looks like it was just the motherboard that fried...so although my computer probably isn't salvageable, my hard drive should be. *crosses fingers*

And yeah, I'll definitely back my stuff up when I get back to school. -.-

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#14 Post by Melkoshi »

Oh I hope you dont loss anything. ): My first game(that was almost complete too) got lost completely when my pc fried back in 09. After that I use dropbox to keep a constant up to date backup e_e;
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

broken_angel
Veteran

#15 Post by broken_angel »

Thank you for your concern.

My old laptop is in the shop and they're putting the hard drive contents (at least the important stuff) onto a DVD for me.
So progress will be stalled for a few days, but at least I won't have to start over. :3