Whats going on???

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
bookie
Veteran

#61 Post by bookie »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:
bookie wrote:Silly shopping thing
Silly? Thing? How can you take it so lightly man!! It's all about the savings!!!
I bet I saved more by not buying anything than I would taking advantage of sales. :wink:

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#62 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

bookie wrote:I bet I saved more by not buying anything than I would taking advantage of sales.
Not if you have to buy the same stuff later ^_^

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#63 Post by musical74 »

I tend to avoid the day-after-Thanksgiving day sales because of the volume of people that shop looking for great deals. Generally, if I DO go shopping on that day, I wait until the evening when all the crazies have left...it is just SO not me to wait at 5 in the morning for some sale that will be available at, say, 7 pm that night =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Cazel
Regular

#64 Post by Cazel »

I don't think I've ever tried to shop at the after Thanksgiving sales events. I'm not really a shopper in the first place, nor a big fan of crowds. I much more prefer buying stuff online. Less hassle and doesn't require interacting with people (generally speaking).

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#65 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I think it's kind of exciting to be there in the midst of a huge crowd looking for stuff to buy. It's kind of like the "thrill of the hunt".
I've heard stories about people fighting over items, and knocking people over, and trampling them- but I've never actually seen anything like that ever happen. That wouldn't be exciting- it'd be sad ;_; ...
Actually though, I've met some really nice people while waiting in line. Maybe the feel of day-after-thanksgiving-day-sale shopping is different in different places- because of the people. New York City? Probably wouldn't be too excited to try it there ^_^;;; Though, no one in my family likes it here either- so maybe it's just me ^_^

Beta
Regular

#66 Post by Beta »

*sigh* Zeta's mom is pissed off... and I have a good feeling I know why...

how many of you are familiar with the college board AP tests? of those people, how many can guess how much information it takes to have them consider giving accomedations to an individual (such as extended time)?

I'm willing to bet that Zeta didn't get the accomedations his mom requested, and his school can be blamed for that... he *just* got back from doing the World History AP test (which was today), and when I asked him about the accomedations (not the test itself, I know the legal ramifications concerning discussion of questions on the test), and he said he didn't get them (in case you were wondering, his mom requested at least "extended time".). in addition, he said the school was very slow about getting him tested so that he could get them (he was tested TWO WEEKS before the exam - which was SIX WEEKS AFTER his mom requested that he be tested for it.). on a positive note, Zeta does think he may pass this one... which will get him an automatic 100 on his semester exam. (fail the AP exam, and he has to take the school's semester exam)

couple notes to the mods and warnings for the other users (because I'm sure we have at least one other AP exam taker here):

if anyone (member or not) puts anything that seems to hint at what the essay questions were on the WH AP exam before saturday, Zeta's probably going to catch it and notify the mods about it. the test-takers are NOT SUPPOSED TO DISCUSS THE ESSAY QUESTIONS FOR 48 HOURS (we're adding 12 hours to their 48 hours as a safety net, meaning it has to be saturday.) after saturday, they are legally allowed to discuss the WH AP essay questions as much as they want.

IF ANYONE (MEMBER OR NOT) DISCUSSES A MULTIPLE-CHOICE WH AP EXAM QUESTION (AND FLAGS IT AS SUCH) ON THIS SITE, THE POST NEEDS TO BE DELETED PROMPTLY AND THE USER (IF A MEMBER) AT LEAST WARNED (IF NOT BANNED), SINCE DOING SO IS ILLEGAL. (seriously, one school had all their students' WH tests CANCELLED due to the fact that the previous year's students told their teacher the questions that were on the test, and they had to drop all AP courses from their curriculum. I'm also pretty sure this applies to the other exams as well.)

(if I recall correctly, AP exams in general keep going until a week from friday)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#67 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

beta wrote:(seriously, one school had all their students' WH tests CANCELLED due to the fact that the previous year's students told their teacher the questions that were on the test, and they had to drop all AP courses from their curriculum. I'm also pretty sure this applies to the other exams as well.)
Actually, I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to other exams. I never took the world history ap class, but I did take the AP chemistry class, and I remember distinctly going over the AP test in class, after the exam. They gave a test to my teacher so we could go over it. It may have just been she essay questions though- I think they might re-use some of the multiple choice questions from year to year. I think I remember my Calculus and Physics classes being the same.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#68 Post by PyTom »

Beta wrote:IF ANYONE (MEMBER OR NOT) DISCUSSES A MULTIPLE-CHOICE WH AP EXAM QUESTION (AND FLAGS IT AS SUCH) ON THIS SITE, THE POST NEEDS TO BE DELETED PROMPTLY AND THE USER (IF A MEMBER) AT LEAST WARNED (IF NOT BANNED), SINCE DOING SO IS ILLEGAL.
Please do not presume to speak for the forum administration. Posting something like that isn't illegal, but it may be a breach of a contract if the poster has agreed to abide by certain conditions as part of taking a test. If the poster has no agreement with the testing agency, then nothing illegal has been comitted.

Contracts can't bind people who don't agree to them, and (AFAIK) there is no actual law against disclosing the contents of tests.

Now, there is the issue that such posts would be massively offtopic, and hence discouraged. There's also the issue that doing so would be somewhat sleazy, if intended to allow people to cheat on the test. (If a question is on-topic for the forum, and the person posting it was not legally prevented from posting it, by all means post it.)

That being said, we have (AFAIK) never discussed the contents of an AP test, so it seems somewhat pointless to write glaring red text telling people not to. Why borrow trouble?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#69 Post by Megaman Z »

PyTom wrote:Contracts can't bind people who don't agree to them, and (AFAIK) there is no actual law against disclosing the contents of tests.
putting your signature on the test document itself means you agreed to the conditions, which, on the WH AP test at least, includes NOT DISCUSSING MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST QUESTIONS, and waiting at least 48 hours before discussing ESSAY QUESTIONS. So, yeah, college board can screw you over if you violate those terms. (and that can include federal imprisonment)

(although I do think Beta may have jumped the gun when I told her that little detail today...)
Beta wrote:*sigh* Zeta's mom is pissed off...
huge understatement, really. she's still recovering from that... (and yes, it was about the accomedations)
ShiraiJunichi wrote:...I think they might re-use some of the multiple choice questions from year to year.
actually, turns out that most of the questions are re-used from year-to-year on the WH AP exam, which is how the school in question got nailed.
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#70 Post by PyTom »

Megaman Z wrote:putting your signature on the test document itself means you agreed to the conditions, which, on the WH AP test at least, includes NOT DISCUSSING MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST QUESTIONS, and waiting at least 48 hours before discussing ESSAY QUESTIONS. So, yeah, college board can screw you over if you violate those terms. (and that can include federal imprisonment)
Yes, the college board can screw you over, but no, that can't include federal imprisonment. For you to be imprisoned, a crime must be comitted. As best as I can tell, revealing the multiple-choice test questions would be breaking a contract, and therefore a tort, rather than a crime. (IANAL, of course.)

Reading http://www.collegeboard.com/student/tes ... urity.html , it seems the worst they can realistically do to you is to revoke your AP grades. Bad, but not exactly imprisonment.

More importantly, the agreement is only between the test-taker and the College Board. People who aren't one of those two parties can do whatever they want. (Although the exam questions could be arguably protected by copyright law.)

My point, though, is that the College Board and other private organizations aren't allowed to make laws/crimes, any more than I can say that anyone using Ren'Py to make BL games should be sent to jail. I can put a clause in the Ren'Py license preventing it from being used to make BL games, but even if someone violates that clause, the most I can do is to sue them for money.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

RedSlash
Veteran

#71 Post by RedSlash »

So, yeah, college board can screw you over if you violate those terms. (and that can include federal imprisonment)
That seems a little extreme that you can get thrown in jail for discussing multiple choice test question. Where did you get the information that it is a federal crime?

My guess that if you were caught discussing the multiple choice answers they would just give you a fail.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Whats going on???

#72 Post by mikey »

darkknight wrote: what is happening in the local area around you??
To give this thread back its purpose...

Yesterday I was at Animefest (in the Czech Rep.), a great get-together, I had lots of fun, if very briefly, because I kind of only went there for a few hours to have a fan-made ren'ai games presentation, nevertheless (quite unexpectedly) I met denzil, so it was lots of fun, the crowd didn't fall asleep during my hour and so on and so on. :P :P

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#73 Post by musical74 »

What's been going on?

MOST of this week I have been in Calinfonia for a funeral :( Other than that nothing really exciting happening around here, keep thinking, as clsoe as I am to Blue Lemma, I should swing by and visit him but never seems to work out.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

darkknight
Veteran

Re: Whats going on???

#74 Post by darkknight »

mikey wrote:
darkknight wrote: what is happening in the local area around you??
To give this thread back its purpose...
THANK YOU...because of you my thread has purpose...

and to think all this time I thought I was forgotten but someone quoted me

okay so I am now a professional programmer and network technician.

I am a technician for a few local colleges...only through my schools help
I am also a game programmer for a small company near my house (just small things) and since not many people there can do HTML I am currently making their website...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Memorial Day

#75 Post by PyTom »

Here in the US, tomorrow is Memorial Day, a day to honor men and women who died in military service for the country.

Today, I went shooting with one of my friends, and decided to visit my grandfather's grave, which is in a cemetery a few miles away. I've seen pictures of the flag-decorated graves before, but seeing it in person is really something.

If someone reading this lives near a military cemetery, please take time on Memorial Day to visit... it's really something.

http://remember.gov/ has more information.