Stepmania!

For the rest of your otaku life.
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#16 Post by Megaman Z »

I don't quite think that they'd be after programmers to code story mode (yet), but I think ideas on how to actually implement it would help right now. (my suggestion was a simple script format easily editable by notepad [like ren'py] that, after giving the narration and animations in the background, would set up the stage and modifiers.)

right now I'm waiting on the first song and singles stepchart to arrive... via email... hopefully it'll be soon. then I can start work on it.

chuck>> I still can't nail Max 300 on Heavy on dance pad. (Sakura Heavy, on the other hand, I can do three times over and clear it all three times) [125 lbs, just under 6ft.]
~Kitsune Zeta

Chuck
Regular

#17 Post by Chuck »

Sakura is easy... Healing Vision is mild, Max sucks ass >.< 125 - 0 and I'm 0

infact time to play a little max
~Chuck

Chuck
Regular

#18 Post by Chuck »

127 - 0
~Chuck

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Megaman Z »

okay, I am officially leaving the SMMIX1 team for a few reasons:

A) blatent lack of intelligence: I was recently (as in two days ago) able to procure permission to use Marine Snow and the original background animation for it from LaValse and Retu (respectively). upon letting the rest of the group know, they waited a bit while I sync'd the song and bga up in stepmania and made stepcharts for it, and then they said that because LaValse is registered on a beatmania simulation forum, they can't use Marine Snow.

B) license disagreements: I found out today that the team intentionally left loopholes in their license, among which is one that they could very well use to make a profit off of the mix: allowing people to charge money to play songs in the mix. I disagree with this, LaValse probably wouldn't allow Marine Snow to be used under this License (quote: If it is not [for a] commercial purpose, I and retu do not forbit to use the music and movie) [update: LaValse is a little peeved about this as well.], and I honestly think this loophole's going to bite them right on the butt within a month of releasing the mix.

C) severe disagreements between the group over how this project should be handled: while the whole "can we use Marine Snow" thing was going on, someone said that there were going to be two different releases (an arcade mix and a non-arcade mix [do I smell a lawsuit?]). apparently, he was the only one who thought that, as the other group members got involved in a brief arguement over that. this was quickly followed by what gave me reason A

so, as of this moment, I'm cutting ALL ties to SMMIX1. this will also give me a bit more time to work on fixing the remaining little bugs and problems in the Titanid demo version.
~Kitsune Zeta

Chuck
Regular

#20 Post by Chuck »

157-43 =D
~Chuck

Beta
Regular

#21 Post by Beta »

sheesh, It's been forever since I've even looked at this site.

well, Zeta's moved projects to the back burner (again... this time, it hasn't gotten thrown out altogether, as I copied all the stuff to my computer) and has started on a stepmania mix that, after double-checking a LOT of things (especially licenses), happens to be a bit more legal than SM Lightwave (previously known as SM 1st mix). basically, it's similar to SM Lightwave, only commercial use is prohibited. (permission to use SM commercially is NOT given under parts of the license agreements in SM, namely the parts about code taken from Xpaint and code in RageSurfaceUtilsPalettize.cpp, which only allows for distribution and use WITHOUT FEE)

currently, the active team consists of four people (none of which have enough musical ability to make a song of their own, but there are two graphic artists and half of the team is working on stepcharts)

last I checked, the songlist was as follows:
Marine Snow - LaValse
Isosceles [Another] - Ultra Violette
Rebound - DXSynergy
Sonar - DXSynergy
Fire - SynGenII
Earth - SynGenII
Water - SynGenII
Ambient Skies - Dj Bouche
Revelation X - Dj Bouche
The Legend Will Never Die - MINTJAM
-Z- - MINJAM
(and if you don't believe he managed to get permission to use MINTJAM's songs, you can check their BBS. he personally got permission from them to use it non-commercially)

if this actually draws a crowd here, a separate thread for the stepmania mix will be made here.

I would link back to the main threads for this, but most of the content on the site is of questionable legality. if there are major announcements/decisions with this mix, I'll let you guys know.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Megaman Z »

*sigh* and on another note, due to a lot of people insisting on having LunaticRave support Konami Official Songs, LaValse:

A) left the site altogether, branding it illegal and calling MOST of the members criminals

and

B) requested Marine Snow be removed from this mix.

I'm already considering a change in the mix name as a result of said members complaining about the blacklisting in LunaticRave. as it is, I'm quite pissed off at those members because they are the ones that caused the removal of Marine Snow in the first place.

more information on the mix is at the StepMania boards.
~Kitsune Zeta

yuirei
Regular

#23 Post by yuirei »

I have this one XD My favorite track is the "Dark Chii Theme" from Chobits XD My sister and I had already SS 'ed it ^-^ I also like "Shining Days" from MyHime ^^

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Megaman Z »

yuirei wrote:I have this one XD My favorite track is the "Dark Chii Theme" from Chobits XD My sister and I had already SS 'ed it ^-^ I also like "Shining Days" from MyHime ^^
let's see...

assuming that I have this correct, an "S" would translate to a "AA", and a "SS" to a "AAA"...

I think I goofed somewhere.

well, as far as the stepmania mix goes, we HAVE found somewhere to put it (and at extremely little expense to boot), and we're just short a replacement name for it. (the only real suggestion I have kept in my "consider" basket is "rebirth" (as in Stepmania Rebirth [w/ or w/o style in it... probably not going to have "style" in the name if we use this])

first one to suggest anything involving the words "Lemmasoft", "renai", or "bishoujo" gets whacked across the head with a miniature dance pad. (metal, mind you.)
~Kitsune Zeta

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#25 Post by Otaku Dash »

Does it have to be "stepmania" then the name afterwards or a complete original name for it? here are some for now.. I'll be brain storming for some more....

- Stepmania Redux
- Stepmania Reloaded
- Stepmania Genesis
- Stepmania Overdrive (this one is a bit lame)
- Beatreaver (or "Beat-Reaver")
- Dance-stancer (lame I know >_>)
- Beatbox
- ADStep (ADS as in - Arcade Dance simulator, mixed with the word step)
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Megaman Z »

um... *looks at siggy* kinda late for name submissions (I probably should've posted when I made the site)

although I will hang on to some of those in case this gets done and we decide to do another one (genesis sounds kinda okay...).

beatraver would only work for a beatmania-type setup (possible in 4.0, but not quite 100% working)

the site, BTW, is at http://sminsurrection.freephpnuke.org/
~Kitsune Zeta

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Megaman Z »

I've just allowed for guests to post on the main portions of the SMI forums (the parts directly partaining to StepMania Insurrection).

as stated on the main page, if I see a huge amount of guest spammers, I will probably undo this.

[click here to go straight to the forums]
~Kitsune Zeta

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#28 Post by Otaku Dash »

Megaman Z wrote:um... *looks at siggy* kinda late for name submissions (I probably should've posted when I made the site)

although I will hang on to some of those in case this gets done and we decide to do another one (genesis sounds kinda okay...).

beatraver would only work for a beatmania-type setup (possible in 4.0, but not quite 100% working)

the site, BTW, is at http://sminsurrection.freephpnuke.org/
Oops.. sorry bout that.. yeah I checked the sig too late adn couldn't be botehred to erase my post... thought it could help in something ^^;

Anyway... Checked the site and the forum... so far very good stuff. I never been able to play DDR or Beatmania like things before Stepmaina (we don't have the arcade machines in my country only in spain >_>) so I'm really looking foward to your work on this...

I'm not sure if I can be of any help because of my lack of experience with the program and all that.... but I'll be here if you need someone... ester or otherwise ^^

*wonders if he should join the forums*
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Megaman Z »

Otaku Dash wrote:Checked the site and the forum... so far very good stuff. I never been able to play DDR or Beatmania like things before Stepmaina (we don't have the arcade machines in my country only in spain >_>) so I'm really looking foward to your work on this...

I'm not sure if I can be of any help because of my lack of experience with the program and all that.... but I'll be here if you need someone... ester or otherwise ^^

*wonders if he should join the forums*
your choice. I'm not trying to coerce people to join (haven't gotten desperate yet), but anyone that wants to can.

so far, we have two WIP simfiles out (I already need to redo and possibly complete the stepchart set for one of them [Rebound]) and the V0.03 theme for the mix (which right now is borrowing a LOT of things from AOI. eventually, though, we'll get the WHOLE thing reskinned) is available from filefront (http://hosted.filefront.com/MegamanZ4).
~Kitsune Zeta

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Megaman Z »

I know, long period of time between posts, but school really started kicking in and I haven't exactly had that much spare time (that, and my browser's homepage isn't here anymore).

quick updates:

SMI: um, production has slowed down tremendously, but I expect it to pick up again for a short while either around christmas break or after StepMix 2 [see below].

there is an official message board at stepmania.com, and one of the moderators of the forum posts here. I'll let you do the math.

there is a simfile contest called the StepMix2 that is currently accepting submissions. read the rules before starting on it. I AM going to be one of the judges, and Beta (as well as a few other friends of mine) are also going to be looking at the files and giving me their opinions of them as well. also, keep in mind that negative BPM's are not supported in SM 4.0, so anyone making a simfile for this contest needs to NOT use them, as you may get disqualified (most if not all of the judges will use SM 4.0).

also (somewhat off-topic), expect one chapter of my renai RPG project to be released soon (this month). I revisited an old idea and put a new spin on it. think Postal², but less controversial, more family-safe, relationship-based, and in RPG format... actually, think Postal² meets Romancing Walker.
~Kitsune Zeta