The First and the Best. Visual Novels.

For the rest of your otaku life.
Freelancer
Regular
Completed: Right in Two
Projects: Alex's Problem

The First and the Best. Visual Novels.

#1 Post by Freelancer »

I'd like to know what the First Visual Novel you ever read was(Or Kinetic Novel if that was what it was) And what the Best(In your opinion) Visual Novel(Or KN) you've ever read was and how it was the best.

My first was Go! Magical Boy (Which I am pretty sure originated on this forum) The second (Because I can remember for sure what it was) was Senior Year.

As for what I think was the best one? It may sound Cliche, like it's been said too many times before already, and thus is over hyped but...
Fate/stay Night
It affected me emotionally more than any other Game,Movie,Book,T.V. Show, etc... before or after it, I won't even bother talking about it's storyline, depth of it's universe(Which may seem deeper to me than most), diversity of it's paths, or it's characters.
Funniest thing was, I'd heard of it long before I played it and thought it must be over-hyped so I ignored it, and I thought it was fairly lame until the prologue ended.
[WIP] Alex's Problem
It's my first VN so I'm excited. :D
Character, BG, and CG artists are filled
Right in Two has been released. Download it today!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: The First and the Best. Visual Novels.

#2 Post by LVUER »

Heart de Roomate. Not a really big hit VN or that awesome, but this one struck deep inside my heart and probably changed my life forever.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#3 Post by Melkoshi »

The main VN that got me hooked was Tenshin Ranman lucky or unlucky by Yuzu soft. I can't remember how or why I got into it. but the intro theme and the cute characters got me hooked.
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

It was about nine years ago when, after browsing the reviews on Animetric (which is partly NSFW), I told myself, "I finally have a halfway decent computer. Why don't I try a bishoujo game?" So I bought Three Sisters Story. I liked some of its ideas (the interface was similar to a text parser), but I didn't enjoy the uncomfortably dark story. Thankfully, I was able to track down a copy of Kana Little Sister just a few months later...

Freelancer specified "best VN or KN," so that rules out a few titles that emphasize gameplay that I really liked (RE: Alistair, Tokimemo Girls Side DS)...

I'd have to say A Midsummer Day's Resonance. I consider it a story that bends reality but still remains emotionally grounded. It's an hour-long read, but the writer used that length quite well, as I didn't consider it too short or too long. And finally, it was released in English at what I felt was an excellent time -- spring 2005. At the time, there had been almost nothing except H-games, and it looked like English releases were slowing to a crawl. A Midsummer Day's Resonance, along with the other Altogether releases, represented something different -- VNs with no gratuitous sex scenes, no harem, and sometimes even a unique perspective.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#5 Post by sake-bento »

First VN (or KN) I ever played was either AIR or Narcissu. I can't remember which one. @___@

I'm actually having trouble thinking of one that I thought was the best. I liked Umineko's story, but the art made it less interesting. AIR was very pretty and it had an intriguing story, but I've never favored games that aim to make me sad. I didn't get to play much of it (since I was playing a friend's copy), but I did really enjoy the My HiME visual novel by Circus.

Shogun144

#6 Post by Shogun144 »

Let me see, I can't remember exactly my very first VN/KN so I am going to say Tales of Lemma 1 or Narcissu.

The best I have played... Ever17, hands down. Great characters, voice acting, Sci-Fi, and the mother of all plot twisters. Well, if you can forgive the sometimes sloppy translation.
"This story is not an end yet. Because only you are in the infinity loop."
And...
"Naturally, I knows the hacker"

chaiue

#7 Post by chaiue »

First VN could have been Hoshizora no Comic Garden. I love this one but wouldn't said the best so far. I think the best one so far I've played was Lucky Dog 1 cause of the awesome voice actors, i love mafia and yaoi and its artist was the super awesome of all the awesome artist, Yura(Love Revo, Miracle Noton)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#8 Post by jack_norton »

I don't think it was really a VN, more a dating sim - I remember the title was "Paradise Heights" (I think, not sure since was long time ago).
I remember playing it on windows95 and thinking "ah! such foolish games can be sold only in Japan!". About 15 years later, here I am making VN/Dating sims! :D

About the best one, well - I really like sake's and hanako's VNs, but my real passion is sci-fi. Ideally would be something like my Bionic Heart but with the insane production values of the recent Japanese releases 8)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

jack - should we recommend games to you or would you rather not be distracted from your work of MAKING them? :) There are a few Japanese-translated games with scifi themes, of varying quality.

Critical Point is one that I've played. It's not that good as a romance, IMO, but there's a mystery to solve (with different solutions - the killer is ACTUALLY a different person on different paths) and some development on scifi themes like the rights and values of androids.

Soul Link I haven't played but I think is supposed to be decent, it's another pile of people on a space station.

Avoid Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048 though, I've heard it's awful.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#10 Post by jack_norton »

papillon wrote:jack - should we recommend games to you or would you rather not be distracted from your work of MAKING them? :)
Heh, no it's fine. I am rather self-disciplined when comes to dividing my time between playing and working :mrgreen: thanks for the suggestions, going to check those!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#11 Post by sayuri »

Hmm I'm pretty sure it was either Narcissu, Ballad of an Evening Butterfly, or True Remembrance (or maybe May Sky?). All were very good but nostalgia muddles my judgment. Truthfully May Sky's art and story were mediocre but the music was love. I still need to figure out a way to rip the music. Actually, now that I think about it, I faintly remember playing Moonlight before I knew what visual novels were.

As for the best I'm not totally sure. I have ones I loved playing but were not really the best. Sounds strange but the one that evoked the strongest emotions from me was a yaoi Death Note doushinji :P. Yeah, I'm still kinda waiting for that awe-inspiring visual novel to come around (or more accurately be localized. Looking at you Clannad.)

shatteredfox
Regular
Projects: Winter Blue Bells. (3%) // A Mirror of Life(20%)

#12 Post by shatteredfox »

Narcissu was such a good VN :3 T_T. However the first novel I actually ever played would be actually (actually spent like 4 minutes here thinking). Ok the first novel I played and completed[and remember] was Tsukihime after being introduced to what Visual Novels were and going "oh those things." I was instantly hooked and become a type-moon fanatic ever since.

Best VN is easily hands down as Shogun said "Ever 17" and I enjoyed every bit of it and recommend everyone to play it if they ever have the chance especially if you find it now(with it being out of print).

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#13 Post by Blane Doyle »

My VERY first visual novel? DND: Poisoned. It hooked me FOR LIFE.

In my opinon, the best is either Ever 17, Clannad, or the Higurashi and Umineko franchises.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Lishy »

Tsukihime. Now that game is a classic!
-

gundestiny
Regular

#15 Post by gundestiny »

I read a couple of little games before I got onto the mainstream like Fate/Stay Night. [Proceeded onto Shuffle!, Kanon, CrossChannel etc.]
I can't really remember the names of the little games though.. But Brass Restoration was good ^^
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/