A few questions for players

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
flowerthief
Regular

A few questions for players

#1 Post by flowerthief »

For players of ren'ai sims or visual novels,

1. When the setting is a high school, do you prefer your protagonist to be a
A. 1st year student (can pursue more characters older in age)
B. 2nd year student (in between)
C. 3rd year student (can pursue more characters younger in age)
D. no preference

If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.

2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference

3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)

Thanks in advance to whoever replies. Your opinion is appreciated!
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation

Jake
Support Hero

Re: A few questions for players

#2 Post by Jake »

flowerthief wrote: 1. When the setting is a high school, do you prefer your protagonist to be a
D. no preference (because I'm honestly so bored of the high-school setting that I barely consider a game set there anymore).

flowerthief wrote: If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.
Neither.
flowerthief wrote: 2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
A. Keyboard
flowerthief wrote: 3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)
Essential in the sense that I'd probably stop playing a game without them? It really depends on the kind of game and platform. Some kind of save/load, and if there's any chance I'm going to have to go over scenes I've already read, some kind of skip or fast-speed option. An option to not play the game in full-screen. Presuming a PC game, keyboard controls to advance text and preferrably make choices.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Ren

#3 Post by Ren »

I get worried when I read this sort of question, as it seems to me the author is concentrating on a rather trivial aspect of character creation.
The answer is: I don't care which year they're in, as long as they're interesting to read about.
If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.
If I tell you I primarily play games with rabbits pursuing cats, for cuteness factor, are you going to make one? :P
Generally I don't tend to choose the games I play by the gender of the pursuable characters, really. I do get a bit worried if the focus of the game (despite what the author often claims) really seems to be pursuing a boyfirend/girlfriend.
2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
Keyboard: it's less painful in the long run.
3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)
If you write an hours long game and don't let me skip text I've seen already, I get murderous instincts.

I consider a good story an essential feature, not everyone does, it seems to me. I hate it when authors choose a particular genre to pander to its fans and don't add anything to it, too. Another essential feature is a well proof-read script: some typos and errors are OK, but I've seen stuff which made my hair stand, in the past. Anything else is superfluous, really. Or rather, as already said, it depends on the game.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I am going to honestly answer these as if I was going to play a vn like this, though I have to agree with the other two that the high school setting got old ages ago and a great deal actual depends on how well something is written. However, choosing from what you have given me:

2nd year. I would prefer to be in the middle for variation purposes. I hate the 'cute' younger character though, so if I could avoid that, I would go for first year.

2.If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.
GxB cause I'm a girl. I would play a BxG easily enough though. I'm sick of the stereotypes in both equally.

3. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
Keyboard because I use a laptop.

4. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)
Yeah, skipping through text is nice. Easy access to information is cool too. Easy to use interface so that all icons are known and are easy to find.

On a side note, my advice on top of actually including a story, is please, please, don't write characters as types. People don't have types so why should the characters. It makes them seem 2d and predictable. Write them as if they were real. You don't have to have a smart one, and a cute ones and a scary one. You just need to make them real and rounded and I will be happy to get to know them.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

D. no preference
I usually have no preference, but maybe 2nd year. That means they're not older or younger. However, to be honest, I'm really sick of highschool settings :/ Specially when the writer writes about a Japanese school when they've never been to one. If you're from another country, why don't you write about your own school system? It'd be neat to see a European or South American school setting sometime.

Whatever has the more interesting story, I don't have a preference besides that :)
A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference
Mouse. Mooouuuusee.
Definently skipping. I'm pretty impatient when playing games so if I want to see the route I missed, skipping is godly.
Storywise, it needs to have some sort of suspense. Even fluff games should have some suspense. It really keeps the reader interested. Also, if it's a visual novel, you NEED decent art... If you know you're not good at drawing, you should ask someone to help. You could have a wonderful story and perfect coding, but what's the point of a VISUAL novel if the drawings aren't the best you can muster?

Shogun144

#6 Post by Shogun144 »

D. no preference
To be honest... High-school settings make me cringe. I have no problem with protagonists of a high-school age, but actually being set in a school is something I would avoid. However there has been exceptions. It really depends on well it is written. If the story is good, everything else comes together. So it really doesn't matter.
I play both, equally. Really, what I like out of this genre is a game that is well written.

A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference
A mixture of A and B.

Well I would consider a good story to be the most important feature, because of a story isn't good then all of the gimmicks in the world won't save a game. Technically, a save system and text skip would be next.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

1.) Well, I'd say first year only because I would assume you could play through 2-3 more years of school if so. But I doubt you're doing that from the question, so I guess the middle? Middle is good.

2.) I find I often have one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard. But then, I stick to the keyboard for text advancement. So that's most of the time. Take what you will from that.

3.) Skipping, YES. Rollback/Readback, YES. The quicker you can save/load, the better. So doing something like F5 to quick save, F9 to quickload would be awesome, especially if you don't have rollback. CG gallery or extras I find aren't important at all, but a nice reward if you play through a long game, but kinda silly for very short games. Music gallery only if your music is unique to your game. Naming characters is only okay to me if you control a lot other aspects of the character's personality as well. If you don't, I don't see the point. Make sure you have the standard Ren'Py options in the preferences screens for skipping after choices, skipping seen text or all text, auto advancement, text speed, etc. You probably shouldn't strip any of those without a very damn good reason. Not even the Joystick one. =P

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

flowerthief wrote:1. When the setting is a high school, do you prefer your protagonist to be...
No preference on main character's age, or the ages of potential romantic interests. If the characters are attending school(s) in a neighborhood, then that's all they need to have in common.
flowerthief wrote:If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.
I like both, as well as GxG. Also, I enjoy stories have a good plot to complement the romantic elements. Sometimes I like stories which aren't about relationships at all.
flowerthief wrote:2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
I've rarely used a gamepad with a visual novel, and I figure that unless the game includes combat, it wouldn't be necessary. So I'm okay with the options being keyboard, mouse, or both.
flowerthief wrote:3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential?
Good question. I appreciate common features such as...

* Ability to change text speed, including fast forward.

* Easy save/load, and more than a few save slots. I like right click or the Escape key as ways to bring up the save/load menu.

* See endings, and event CGs.

* For a complex game, in-game optional hints. The player shouldn't have to guess how many points the better endings require, or what stats are necessary. (I liked Spirited Heart, RE: Alistair, and Tokimemo Girls Side, but all three games made the player look at FAQs in order to know how to build statistics and succeed.)

Ramidel
Regular

#9 Post by Ramidel »

1: Vaguely C, though high school is somewhat overdone.

And personally, I prefer GXG games. ^_^

2. A

3. Fast-skip, save, those are pretty much the functions I use. I read faster than anyone I know, so I don't want to have to wait for ten whole seconds for the paragraph to load.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#10 Post by sake-bento »

D. no preference
I like first year students more as a personal preference, but I like to be able to romance any age. I play more BxG than GxB, but I think it's because there's more of it in general. I don't have a preference as long as the story is good.

A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference

I like lots of save slots, as I tend to play games in small bursts. The thing that usually kills a game for me is if I can't adjust the text speed.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

1. Don't care. I'll also point out if you set the game here in the US, you get four years of high school to play with. I actually find the summer between high school and college to be very interesting, as it marks a huge life transition that's good to play around with.

BxG.

2. Mouse and Keyboard. Actually, I play a lot using the wiimote, but that shows up as a keyboard when I have it in the configuration I use for games.

3. Text speed is very important. I read very quickly, so not having an instant text speed will slow me down to the point of being uncomfortable. Skipping read text is important when replaying. I was surprised at how important the resizable window has become, since otherwise games are too small on my monitor.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#12 Post by mysterialize »

1a. Consider me in the group who's just plain tired of high school settings. I see very little reason to make yet another game that takes place in one without either some kind of setting twist that makes it clearly different than most high schools, or strong enough gameplay elements to make it so that it at least plays differently from the five million other high school VNs out there. So, yeah, the year really doesn't matter much to me.

1b. No real preference here, either. I focus more on strong story than pairing type. Hell, I could happily play a game where the main pairing is Toaster x TV, as long as the plot is well written enough.

2. I'm fine with both keyboard and mouse. I generally tend to switch between the two.

3. Fast skip, backtrack, saving with multiple save slots, and general option adjustments, such as music volume and such.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

For players of ren'ai sims or visual novels,

D. no preference
I don't care the age, as long as I can chase the cute girls around ^_^ And I primarily play BxG, since I prefer cute girls than boys (and BxG means more girls than boys).

D. no preference
If the game didn't involve any action (just click to advance text or choosing option), I don't mind using only mouse. But one thing clear is... I don't like joystick (or console pads) when playing VN.

- Instant speed (instantly showing one page of text instead of letter-by-letter)
- Lots of save slots (instead of just 9 or so slots, but usually 50 is more than enough)
- Roll back (or at least a log to look at past conversation)
- Quick save/quick load (or very easy to save and load, perhaps only with 2 clicks of mouse)
- Fast forward text that has been read
- Gallery for anything unlockable (CG, special sequence, ending list, music room, etc)
- Play any sequence/ending straight from gallery

Thanks in advance to whoever replies. Your opinion is appreciated!
You're welcome ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#14 Post by Sapphi »

I like when protagonists are around 17-25 or so. I feel like I can connect with them more easily... then again, I'm 20. Perhaps a 14 year old would prefer a younger protagonist. I just like to be able to relate somehow to the PC.

I prefer BxG, even though I'm a girl. This is largely due to my personal taste as I like moe characters, for one thing, and I just don't think that translates well to male characters. Because my taste in men is pretty narrow, I think it's harder for me to get excited about GxB stuff, but girls have many ways of being attractive, so it's kinda like Pokemon. You gotta catch 'em all. :mrgreen:

I prefer keyboard/mouse, as they are the most comfortable to me.

This is a minor gripe, but a lot of the short games I've downloaded from here do not do much with the save menu. Personally, I like big thumbnails so you can see exactly what you were doing at the time you saved, and section titles so that I can get an idea of where in the game the save is. I realize this is not as important for short games, but for serious, long works, please don't neglect the save menu!

I know I have more, but I can't think of them at the moment...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#15 Post by Deji »

D. no preference
I'm with the "I'm not really into high school settings" bunch, so I don't really mind.
I do mind, to a point, girls going deliberately after younger guys (as in 2-3 years younger); I found it kind of disgusting when I was in my last year of school, especially since they were girls that would *only* go after older guys before reaching the last year of school >>;

That said, I find the typical closed high school settings a bit boring, to be honest.
I'd like to see characters that interact not only with people from their school, but with other people outside school as well, like the friends of a sibling (older or younger), or the siblings (and their friends) of a classmate or a friend, or maybe your neighbor that goes to a different school or that maybe is in their first year of college or something. I've seen many beautiful relationships sprout from that kind of interactions :3

I like cute guys and cute girls equally, so I play any as long as like the art and the story enough.
I also like GxB/G, but not BxG/B.

B. Mouse

I'm a clicker~

Skipping through already seen text, be able to adjust text speed, and a bunch of save slots when there are many endings, for proper ending hunting.

Other than that, I like having a neat interface where you can clearly see the buttons for Save, Load, Settings, etc.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (: