A few questions for players

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: A few questions for players

#16 Post by azureXtwilight »

flowerthief wrote:For players of ren'ai sims or visual novels,

1. When the setting is a high school, do you prefer your protagonist to be a
A. 1st year student (can pursue more characters older in age)
B. 2nd year student (in between)
C. 3rd year student (can pursue more characters younger in age)
D. no preference

If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.

2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference

3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)

Thanks in advance to whoever replies. Your opinion is appreciated!
1. 2nd year, GXB :P
2. No preference
3. Skipping all right :D

flowerthief
Regular

#17 Post by flowerthief »

Thank you everyone who posted feedback! (and everyone who will yet post feedback) This has been helpful.
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation

Aetheria
Regular

#18 Post by Aetheria »

flowerthief wrote:1. When the setting is a high school, do you prefer your protagonist to be a
D. no preference

If you don't mind, also please state whether you primarily play BxG or GxB games.
Anyone who's a good enough writer to come up with a high school romance story that I'll actually play should have no trouble getting me to accept a protagonist of any age. I don't think that anyone who's not in high school themselves cares too much about the age difference of characters in high school. Realistically, most high school romances are doomed anyway, so what does it matter? :D
flowerthief wrote:2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference
Keyboard + mouse: I tend to use the mouse for navigating menus, and the keyboard to control viewing the text.
flowerthief wrote:3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)
Only what everyone else has already said, like skipping, save/load, etc. Personally, I don't consider unlockable CGs (or anything else "unlockable", like extra characters or endings) essential, although they are fun.

IceD
Veteran

#19 Post by IceD »

flowerthief wrote:1. When the setting is a high school, do you prefer your protagonist to be a
I don't care much about such details. High school, well is a high school - each year has it's own nice and bad sides and there isn't a big difference in them in aspect of character's age. The only notable things that count can be the attainment of maturity and preparations for final exams in the last year, which leaves them less free time and more work to do, while first classes have more free time to spare and usually involve in various activities.

It's clear, that I like BxG visual novels the most, because they're easier for me to relate to, but lately I've started to play also some GxB out of interest, and while I highly dislike classical cliched otome games (gimme a break, they're plain horrible in almost every aspect - how girls can even play such stuff?!), I generally don't care if the hero in a traditionally oriented visual novel is a boy, girl, man or a woman - if the story and characters are good enough, I will like them, no matter the game's preffered demographic profile. Also don't forget, that not every visual novel in which the girl is the main heroine is an otome game.
flowerthief wrote:2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
I use all of those devices, though I usually like to turn on the auto-forward function and just sit and enjoy the show :) I depends on how complex the game is, when it's a sim or a hybrid VN with lots of gameplay I usually stick to keyboard and mouse, and I sometimes even use the gamepad, when I want to relax a bit on the couch.
flowerthief wrote:3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)
Personally, I like highly customizable games, but not in terms of general gameplay but system functionality, although I know that they're quite a hassle for game devs to prepare. I won't be talking about such features as the auto-forward or skip options, cause they're the basics, that should be always present; I hate when the reading speed is forced - NEVER, EVER DO THAT. Differen't people read at different speeds, don't take their reading pleasure away. Ren'Py engine comes with almost all pivotal functions and I find removing them absurd.

Having a neat and shiny or clean, yet always functional interface scores a big point, because that's what we will be seeing on the screen, no matter we like it or not; it's better to make it likeable. They are also very important, unfortunately most of amateur visual novels have horrible interfaces, which give only a little bit of functionality if not any at all; they use horrid or unreadable fonts, don't fit the rest of the game including it's mood and are put together without any thoughts on how the player will later use them and what will be important and what will be not. Making a good interface for a visual novel is a big part of success, and simplicity and cleanliness means much here.

As for the save/load feature, I threat customizable menus as a standard nowadays - it's good if they include a thumbnail of the in-game screen, game save date along with game-specific dates included (if they are important), in-game save descrpition (as the name of chapter) and even comment field for players to write in (those are really good, when the game requires a lot of saving due to many important choices and routes - players can easily keep track of their saves and won't become confused when the count will reach 20-30 saves or more; furthermore it's easier to find the save you're looking for).

A good and enjoyable game requires a lot of hard work, especially in terms of mechanics and overal look - first gaming experience is important and can decide if the player will like the game from beggining or just mumble and stop after a couple of minutes. This also applies to visual novels, as a nice working engine and interface are mostly the only things (besides game assets, storywriting and overall idea), that exist to bring the joy. For example, I highly enjoyed interfaces in Hanihani (nicely made, loved the character chibis teling hints on what does what), Yume Miru Kisuri (A perfect example on how interfaces and menus should be done), Planetarian (the main menu screen is too plain, but I liked the ingame menus and that functionality with bookmarks and neatly done save/load screens), while Girlish Grimoire is a masterpiece itself (the FFD - floating frame director system, beautifully hand drawn menus, options screen with almost every function I could dream of, a lot of customization including even the ability to adjust the volume of each character's voice :) great stuff in overall).

Hope that helps.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Riviera »

D. no preference
Any work, really. If the protagonist has a strong character, the story built around him/her will be... better? I'm not sure how to express it, exactly. But the situation can be made to fit.
GxB. I just prefer playing as my own gender. I don't mind BxG though. BxB and GxG are good as well.

2. Which is your preferred means of input when you play a ren'ai sim or visual novel on a personal computer?
A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference
Keyboard for the really long VNs with not a lot of decisions. Mouse for the VNs with more player interactivity.

3. For you personally are there any features of the game system of a ren'ai sim or visual novel that you consider essential? (Example: the option to fast skip through text)
The option to skip text is a lifesaver if you've put a lot of endings in place. A CG gallery is essential! An ending gallery is nice, but not needed. A section that shows what endings you've gotten should be used more often, I really like to know when I've fully completed a game and having a check list of sorts is helpful. A "memory" section can be nice but is also not needed, as is a music section. I really love how Garnet Cradle handled everything but one can hardly expect that of every game.
You're welcome. :)
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Nyu
Regular

#21 Post by Nyu »

1 - I have no preference since high school dating sim is always great *_* I love them all! And since I'm a girl, I usually play GxB.

2 - Keyboard (to skip the long conversations.... @_@)

3 - Probably the unlockable epilogues...bonuses ^_^

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#22 Post by SilverxBlue »

D. no preference

A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference

1.) Any year level is good but, I think it would be better if the character is in second year or third year because i think being a first year wherein you study in a new high school where everything is new to you, sounds a bit too cliche.

I play both as long as it is a good story i won't mind whatever the gender of the protagonist is, however i've mostly played GxB because I'm a girl. :)

2.) I'm okay with the Keyboard and Mouse, i use a laptop anyway.

3.) The option to fast skip through (the already read) text is definitely needed because having to read the same thing over and over again is excruciatingly painful for both my eyes and brain. In addition, if you have a lot of endings it would be nice if you could put an "endings gallery" so that you'll be able to see the endings you've already obtained and you would also know how many endings you haven't got yet.

shwippie
Regular
Completed: Double Romance
Projects: Rolland's Candy Shop. Mitzi's Fable
Tumblr: shwippie
Deviantart: shwippie

#23 Post by shwippie »

1. Any year, and any pairing is great!
2. mouse :D
3. being able to save any time I want ^^
Image Image Image

DaR
Regular

#24 Post by DaR »

D. no preference

A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference

1. I don't really have an age preference, as long as the character isn't going after somebody practically double their age when they're a first year in high school. Kind of creepy. (TMGS1, I'm looking at you xD) As for gender, I'd rather play GxB because I'm a girl, and not a boy, but that's really my only deciding factor.

2. Mouse or keyboard, but probably mouse, since my laptop keyboard is a little weird.

3. The option to skip through text is extremely essential for me, since most games have multiple endings which you need to play through a few times to get, and reading the same text three or four times really kills the 'Oh yay!' I usually get from a game.
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Levrn
Projects: I think I need to improve before I began any..

#25 Post by Levrn »

D. no preference

hmm I don't really have any preference, but if it's 3rd year, I hope a quarter of the game isn't lost because of final test before graduation :lol:

I'm okay with BxG or GxB, or even if the VN didn't contain romance :P
A. Keyboard
B. Mouse
C. Joystick
D. no preference
usually I'm using keyboard and mouse. but I never used a joystick before ^^; *I don't have one
umm gallery is nice, music room, skip text and text speed.
I liked how you could adjust the text speed according to your speed reading :D
flowerthief wrote:Thanks in advance to whoever replies. Your opinion is appreciated!
you're welcome! :D
"君が遠くなって、
そのまま消えてしまって
「いつかはこの日を思い出せるよ」と。

うつむいた靴の先の、
夕日が染めた赤を 僕らは忘れようとする。"-envy.