[Demo!] The World is Made of Paper

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Mihwa

Re: [WIP] The World is Made of Paper (Proofreaders Wanted)

#16 Post by Mihwa »

The story looks really, undeniably interesting. :'3 Totally up my alley.

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#17 Post by mysterialize »

Curse my luck. My laptop contracted a virus over the weekend, slowing things down even further. Fortunately, I had things backed up, so I didn't lose anything, but it certainly slowed down/is still slowing down progress. I think I've almost rid myself of it, but it's hard to tell with these things.

Anyways, thank you, both of you. @_@ The positive comments are more than appreciated, especially when I'm running into so many road blocks.

mysterialize
Veteran

#18 Post by mysterialize »

The script for the demo is finally complete, at just under 37,000 words!

In other news, I made a new text box, because the last one was ugly, and I hated it.

Do any of you find it to be any better than the old one?

Also, I tried to add a new profile, but... while it posted, something's a bit weird about it. I'm not entirely sure what happened.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#19 Post by broken_angel »

Huzzah~

And I do like the new textbox better than the old one. :3
It's darker and fits the color scheme better.

As for the new profile, are you talking about the one with the giant ink splotch all over it? xD Because...um...either you did that on purpose or the virus did it.

mysterialize
Veteran

#20 Post by mysterialize »

Alright, cool. I'm probably not going to change it, so I'll update the screenshot with the new one in a moment.

Also, I know. XP I did it on purpose. It was a stupid attempt at... I don't know what I was attempting. I'll, uh...

That would be quite the virus, though. Fortunately, mine settled on forcing me onto proxy servers, messing up Java, and giving me endless fake popups for rogue malware removal. A pity. Virus creators should be more creative in their ways to make people miserable.

Gryphbear
Regular

#21 Post by Gryphbear »

Well, it did add to the creepy factor - all that ink blotting looked like dried blood to me. lol.

But yeah, an idea would be to get those ink blots kinda more 'transparent' if you want to keep the effect, so you don't obscure the text. ;)
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

mysterialize
Veteran

#22 Post by mysterialize »

Gryphbear wrote:Well, it did add to the creepy factor - all that ink blotting looked like dried blood to me. lol.

But yeah, an idea would be to get those ink blots kinda more 'transparent' if you want to keep the effect, so you don't obscure the text. ;)
... XD I did that on purpose. Thanks for the advice, though. I'm glad it added to the creepiness, somewhat.

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#23 Post by Kura »

Huzzah, finished script! And, damn that's one hefty demo, ahaha.

I vaguely recall the old text box not quite matching or being a little hard to read or something, but I didn't pay it much mind because it looked really interesting. Can't actually remember what it looked like, though. But I do really like this one. The squiggles in the top right corner sometimes overlap with the text, but not enough to make anything seriously unreadable.

The new profile is gorgeously eerie. Mmmm, an ink-splotchy muse, now I'm thinking of Gaiman's Calliope extra intrigued.

*dutifully returns to proofreading*
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

mysterialize
Veteran

#24 Post by mysterialize »

So, I'm still working on art assets, which is taking quite a while. Because of this, would people prefer a demo with all the CGs, but comes out later, or one with only a few, but is released earlier? All the ones that are necessary will still be made for it, but the extra ones would wait until the full version, if I went to with the latter. Any preference?

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#25 Post by Greeny »

This is interesting.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Gryphbear
Regular

#26 Post by Gryphbear »

I'd be willing to wait till the full version -- or a demo with more CG's on it to give us a feeling of a full, but short game.
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#27 Post by Kura »

I've no problem with waiting, but a demo with fewer CGs would be fine too. Especially since, well, it's a demo. Gives us more to look forward to in the full version.

By the way, here's what I meant about the text box obscuring the words sometimes. That second example has a period under the squiggle, but you can't really see it at all.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

mysterialize
Veteran

#28 Post by mysterialize »

Alright, I guess I'll just include everything I was planning to include from the beginning.

@ Greeny: Thanks! It shouldn't be too much longer before a demo's out. I'm aiming for the end of the month/early January.

@ Gryphbear: No matter what, I'm going to make a demo, though. I want to be able to get and use feedback for the full version. If I just release the whole thing without getting player input first, it's almost certain that it would disappoint.

@Kura: Oh, alright. Thanks. It looks like I just have to get rid of that one big loop there, for the most part. I'll go do that.

mysterialize
Veteran

#29 Post by mysterialize »

Updated with a wonderful logo created by Auro_Cyanide! The same logo will be used in the title screen, which I can hopefully get done with pretty quickly.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. The holidays were unexpectedly busy, and I was hardly able to get online at all. Fortunately, things are starting to slow down a bit over here now, so progress can pick up yet again.

mysterialize
Veteran

Re: [WIP] The World is Made of Paper

#30 Post by mysterialize »

I don't normally like bumping things like this, but I felt I should do so right now, with the announcement that the demo should be out within a week. All I need are two and a half CGs, one background, and about three expressions for sprites at this point. Also, I need to convince myself that I don't need to perfectly polish everything for a simple two hour-ish demo.