Completely new... need help with starting up!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
hayate135

Completely new... need help with starting up!

#1 Post by hayate135 »

Hello! As the title says, I'm brand new to the visual novel scene! I don't know what to do at all, need help! :(

My question is... what do I need to do/install in order to play the games? I've tried installing the VN, "Memo", but all I've got when it finished downloading were files in my Documents. I've no idea how to run a visual novel, I'd appreciate anyone who can walk me through this. Thanks in advance! :)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Completely new... need help with starting up!

#2 Post by Aleema »

By default, all Ren'Py games don't install, they're just files, like you said. The only things you need to do to play them is:
- Extract them (I assume you did this if you see all the files)
- Open the folder that results
- Find the .EXE file in there. It is usually the name of the game + ".exe" The default icon is Eileen with a yellow snake and safari hat.
- Double click it :D
For instance, this is what my game's executable looks like:
findingexe.jpg
If that's not at all what you meant and I just insulted you, I apologize ...

hayate135

Re: Completely new... need help with starting up!

#3 Post by hayate135 »

Haha, not at all! In retrospect, I feel like I'm insulting you by asking a question that must be considered beyond basic for the VN community!

Thank you, thank you! MUCH aporeciated, I can finally try out VNs after being exposed to them years ago :)