Renpy 6.11.2b AttributeError: 'pygame.Surface'

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
littleramyun
Regular
Projects: Don't Go Saiyuri!

Renpy 6.11.2b AttributeError: 'pygame.Surface'

#1 Post by littleramyun »

Trying to play Planet Stronghold on a windows 7 netbook, 1024 x 600. It apparently has worked on other win7 netbooks. The game opens, loads the window and cursor, then closes and gives me this traceback. Any possible causes?:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

AttributeError: 'pygame.Surface' object has no attribute 'surface'

While running game code:
- script at line 745 of renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy
- python at line 745 of renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\ast.py", line 574, in execute
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy", line 745, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\ui.py", line 216, in interact
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\core.py", line 1608, in interact
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\core.py", line 1951, in interact_core
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\core.py", line 1311, in draw_screen
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\swdraw.py", line 868, in draw_screen
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\swdraw.py", line 768, in draw_mouse
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\core.py", line 1660, in get_mouse_info
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\im.py", line 1471, in load_image
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\swdraw.py", line 950, in load_texture
File "C:\Program Files\Planet Stronghold Alpha\renpy\display\scale.py", line 469, in copy_surface
AttributeError: 'pygame.Surface' object has no attribute 'surface'

While running game code:
- script at line 745 of renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy
- python at line 745 of renpy-6.11.2/common/00library.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b
Indie Game Localization and Distribution

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Renpy 6.11.2b AttributeError: 'pygame.Surface'

#2 Post by jack_norton »

It's a false alarm :) The bug above happened if you install in the same folder as a previous version (before the automatic SW more fallback was active). Sorry about it, is enough to install in another folder or completely uninstall the previous version!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

littleramyun
Regular
Projects: Don't Go Saiyuri!

#3 Post by littleramyun »

I had the previous version completely uninstalled, and I uninstalled again and reinstalled in case it was a problem during installation. I also tried installing on a different hard drive. I was unable to play previous versions also. I remember I had a problem with the updater last time, although the screen loaded. It might be that my netbook's specs aren't good enough to run it.
Indie Game Localization and Distribution

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by jack_norton »

Yes also that probably. That game really pushes renpy to its limits... on my netbook now runs, but really slow and in one point it crashed to desktop without any error message (doing nothing particularly specific, just a click on a button opening the level-up screen). Since nobody who pre-ordered has any issues with it, must be really the low RAM/video card of the netbooks :(
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Can I have a copy of the alpha? I suspect that this is kicking off when both scaling and software rendering are active - which is an obscure case, but one I should be able to repeat with the appropriate environment variables.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by jack_norton »

Yes the alpha is public:
http://www.planetstronghold.com/download_scifi_rpg.htm
(there are download links for pc/mac/linux, the one listed in that page is the most recent 7.0a)

when the game crashed on my netbook I tried to look for a opengl.txt or crash.txt (or anything similar) in the game directory but couldn't find it. I'm doing more tests with the version 0.8, it seems to always crash everytime I do a specific thing, I wonder if using cache_pin at beginning of game is the problem (whole game in RAM should be 200mb, which isn't really much considering nowadays computer specs!)
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by jack_norton »

I have also a strange graphic glitch, skipping forward quickly, I see "parts" of old sprites remaining on the screen :mrgreen:
In the screenshot below is barely visible (on the right of the screen), but when I was playing was bigger (probably is the take screenshot's fault, since resized the image to 800x600 when on screen was 1024x576).
Anyway I think is even a miracle that such games can run on low-end netbooks like mine 8)
Attachments
screenshot0001.jpg
computer games