Secret Santa 2010

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
emihaumut
Regular
Projects: Rynspyr.
Tumblr: emihaumut
Github: yeewai

Secret Santa 2010

#1 Post by emihaumut »

So I did a quick search, and I couldn't find a Secret Santa thread in the whole forum (which is strange considering how long this forum's been around)! I'm not exactly sure what the stance is on this type of thing, but I figured I may as well take the initiative and start one since I really wanted to do one this year and somehow, I'm the most active on this forum (which is weird if you consider my low post count and the fact that I only ever post in my game's thread, lol). Hopefully, I'm not overstepping any bounds or anything (cause that would just be embarrassing, lol).

Secret Santa 2010

So yeah, since there are so many talented people here, I thought maybe we could do a Secret Santa. :3 I'd like to open it up to everyone so we'd be gifting art and/or writing and/or music (and I couldn't come up with anything for the programmers ^^; but if you can, go ahead and do it). Be creative; have fun. This is about having fun after all. :3

Since I'm making the thread, I guess I'd also have to go about organizing it, which is fine. I guess if everyone who'd like to join would post saying so and saying what they want (so your secret santa wouldn't be blindly stabbing in the dark trying to figure it out), I'll compile it into a list (see below), and randomly assign the santa's. I'd like if everyone interested could say so by next Monday (12/13) so we'd have enough time to work on the presents. Is a week too soon? It feels a little soon, but I'd like to give everyone enough time to work on their gifts.

I reeeeeeeeeeeally hope people will join in so I won't be drawing a picture for myself, lol. (I do that enough as it is.)

Secret Santas
(I'll do this alphabetically so it's easier to find people):

Aleema
--Anything RockRobin. I'm always looking for a new desktop wallpaper. And if you write, I desperately need some fake forum topics and song titles.

Auro-Cyanide
--Umm, I have a couple stories I have that are in variations of existence, maybe someone could do something about one of them or something? I'm not to picky as to what. Probably best just to browse through my DA account and see what they like : http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/gallery/

azureXtwilight
--Okay, my wish would be anything Fantasia (my games) :3 (maybe pic?)
Or if you can't, code me a mini-game *shot*
:3

Chansel
--Well, anything you can come up with for School's Out! would be stellar. A nice lighthearted song, fanart (though I suppose this would be gift-art?) of someone from the cast, a few fun/random scene ideas (or written out if you're feeling productive ;)), or anything else you can make that I haven't thought of. Basically, like I mentioned above, anything for School's Out! and you're my new best pal C:

Emihaumut
--I would love to have anything related to Rynspyr. I think I'm a bit preferential to writing because I like seeing what people think of my characters, but I'll accept anything. It can be Rynspyr crew in an alternate universe, just one or two of them (which is most likely what'll happen, lol), all of them (hah! I doubt anyone would take up that beastly challenge), canon couples (though, what defines canon in a brief introduction?), crack pairings, theme song for the ship. I'd even take R18+, but I'm note sure what the rules are on that.

lordcloudx
--So, for what I'd like... well, I *might* have a few WIPs that I'm keeping under wraps for now, so those are out. So... http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com/ umm... I'd love to see some fanart/reviews or anything else you can think of for some of the newer games in here. (The Wonders of Glue, Allusions, One Week of Eternity or any other VN.) If you're planning to do a review, it doesn't have to be all positive, just tell me how you felt about the piece. I don't need/want any constructive criticism or any tips on how to improve though.

Lumen_Astrum
--Well for me, I have wanted an original music piece for my game project The Spiritual Equivalent... or maybe some fanart of one (or all, if you can. xD) of the pairings in my game... I've wanted literature too, but that's the last thing I wanted to receive. xD But anime drawings are what I appreciate the best. Except if you can send me a headset here from your country, that is. xDDD

mysterialize
--Anyways, my project at the moment is The World is Made of Paper, but it doesn't have a demo posted yet, so it seems a little silly to ask for fanart of it. I'm always up for something relating to Vacant Sky, and it might be a bit better to do fanart for it, since it's actually finished. You can even find more art from it here.

VenusEclipse
--Art: Wallpaper, Promotional Art, Chibis, or just regular plain old fan art for Frozen Essence. :D
If you know how to do a logos really well, do a cleaner one for Frozen Essence but with the same concept because I suck at logos. ;_;
Programming: Some cool simple (OR complex) script....gameplay script? That might be kinda tough... but I'll throw it in anyway
Music: any track that fits in a vn (opening theme, regular day music, whatever your strength is, etc)

Hopefully this will turn into something fun. :)

And it did, lol. Here are all the gifts (in order of recipient):
merry_christmas____rockrobin_by_azurextwilight_rllz-d35jd0f.jpg
From: Lumen_Astrum To: Auro-Cyanide wrote:For Auro-Cyanide~
http://katara-watertribe-14.deviantart. ... -191027715
Sorry for the crappiness. *cries* I can make another one, if you'd like. I'm making sure it's digital~

*disappears*
From: VenusEclipse To: azureXtwilight wrote:For azureXtwilight

A song that hopefully is useful for your game. ^.^ Other people can listen to it here.

http://www.last.fm/music/Unbroken+Hours/_/Deep+Forest

MERRY XMAS CHANSEL!
screenshot0104.png
Here's the demo video, to prove it's not just a screenshot. xD
Most of the hardwork is behind the scenes, not on the simple gui. xD It's built so that she can have however many outfits she wants and not have to worry about manually updating for every option. Just update a list of what's in the store with the outfit name and price, and let the script do its work. Oh, and some graphics are necessary. I can do those for you though. ^^

@Chansel: Of course, I will incorporate hairstyles and whatever else you want once you get your custom MC graphics. This can also be easily turned into the closet to just choose what you want to wear, but I figured I'd wait until you get your graphics squared away. :)

I'll be sending the files once I make them user-friendly. Includes the PSD if when you want to change how it looks to match your existing GUI. I'm also not sold on the "are you sure?" prompt and I can get rid of it if you want. Right now, you can choose what you want to buy just by hovering over it ... which can lead to unexpected last minute changes for an uncontrolled mouse.
From: Auro-Cyanide To: Emihaumut wrote:It is the 27th here now so I will stick mine up since I have work all today.

Merry Christmas Emihaumut!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is a wallpaper, I hope you like it -^^-
Sorry the characters don't look much like yours. My style seems to eat characters. And Alabaster lost half his clothing >_>
Ladies and Gentlemen, keep me away from your males, they will end up shirtless.

Anyway, hope you like it and happy holidays :)

You can also download the full version here http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/#/d35qcd9 incase you can't from imageshack
From: Chansel To: lordcloudx wrote:Merry Christmas lordcloudx!!
You sure had a nice present request, asking for reviews :) Made it extra fun to ‘make’ your present, since I got to play your games in order to do so :3

Now, without further ado, the reviews!

The Wonders of Glue:
First of all, I really like it that you have to install it instead of the usual ‘gamefile extract’. For some reason it just makes it feel more like a legit game instead of an indie game :)
My second opinion was a little less positive, as the main menu didn’t seem to have music. It’s no biggie, but it made me double check my speakers to ensure they were on, because I’m so used to the main menu’s of VN’s having music. So when I started the game the music came blasting through (scaring my poor mother who was in the other room) because I turned the volume up to its fullest, thinking that maybe the main menu music was playing very softly. It was actually pretty funny XD Especially since the first music in the game is this lovely musicbox-ish tune. All sweet and soft. So imagine that blasting through the speakers :P
The game really made me snicker sometimes at the short side-comments (like semi-liquid ;)). But overall it was just a really sweet piece that left me with a small smile on my face. The music matched the game perfectly, especially that first musicbox-ish tune that I mentioned before. I’m probably going to be humming that for quite some time.
Your writing was also spot on. It didn’t feel at all forced, like some of the more emotional pieces sometimes tend to do. Your lines just really brought your point and emotions across perfectly :)
The last thing I wanted to say is that I first thought of commenting that it was a little short and that I would’ve liked to see it a tad longer. But after thinking it though a little, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s actually great the way it is. It’s just a really sweet and lovely snippet of life, partially as good as it is due to it being relatively short, leaving the readers wanting more. Always a good thing.
All in all, I really liked it and I’m definitely going to recommend it to some of my friends :3

Allusions:
Hmmm... Again no main menu music? I’m starting to see a pattern here. Maybe this is your style then? Either way, I really like the main menu. It’s clean and straight to the point. No excessive distractions by placing 10+ characters on the screen. It’s nice and crisp. Definitely good.
The first thing that strikes me when the story starts is that the rabbit looks really cute <3 The second thing is that I love your explanation of why it can speak. It’s instantly obvious that we’re reading a flashback or story of someone from when she was a child. And a child with a good imagination at that :) Or, that’s what I first believed. It was a nice discovery that at the end, it turned out to be real and not just a child’s imagination as I had first assumed. Anyway, the way you wrote the beginning instantly got me interested.
After a few lines the font started looking a little odd though. More specifically, the ‘s’ of the font. I realize this is a fairly strange thing to say, but the ‘s’ almost looked as if it came from another font. And after some more time, the ‘c’ suffered from the same problem. It wasn’t really a big deal though, since after a while you learn to look past it, but for a short time it just bugged me a little.
What I really, REALLY liked was how you made Samantha talk. By which I mean how you faded out the rest of the story and centered her text with her standing on the side. It made it really obvious that she was doing the talking without using those pesky nametags. (They also work, but this was just way better.) Also, it gave us a nice view of the absolutely adoring drawing of Samantha. With the way you drew her eyes (or I think that was what does it) she looks very curious and also a little stubborn. It’s quite amazing how well you shaped her personality with what at first glance looks like a fairly simple drawing. What struck me as a little odd was that you stopped using the transition about halfway through. At first it made me wonder if you did that on purpose, or if you accidentally forgot. Though it soon became clear that it was on purpose, because you didn’t do it once after that. A shame, if you ask me. Because I really liked the way you did that.
Now, back to the art. I really liked how you colored it. Using colored pencils like that adds to the feeling that we’re reading a children’s story. It suited the whole theme and actual story quite well. I wonder why you used a digitally colored version of Samantha in the main menu though? It looks good, don’t get me wrong, but seeing as the whole story is colored with colored pencils... Well, wouldn’t it have been more consistent to use the pencil colored version there too? It might’ve also enhanced the children-story feel of the tale.
Anyway, the conclusion of this all is that, again, I really enjoyed reading this :3

One Week of Eternity
My very first impression (if you can call it that), is that I love the title. I’ve always been a sucker for titles that kinda conflict with itself (one week is never an eternity), but this one strikes me as especially beautiful. It really sets the mood for what I’m expecting to be a sweet, yet sad story.
Turned out that it was a lot less sad than I had expected it to be. It’s hard to put into words, but it felt a little too, uhm.. ordinary, I think. Also, I think the protagonist was just a little too mature for her age. I realize that children with tough histories mature quickly, but I felt like it was just a little over the top.
Also, that was one hell of a letter in the second to last chapter. It was a really nice flashback of her life and I enjoyed reading about her time in the amusement park. However, it wasn’t very letter-like. It really felt more like a flashback than a letter. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading it. It was just that at the end it made me blink in confusion a few times when I was reminded that it was a letter :P
During my first play trough I choose to ‘accept it’. It was kinda strange that you wrote something along the lines of ‘suddenly it was painfully obvious’. Since it actually took me a couple of seconds to figure it out ^^” I suppose that makes me a little dumb, ne ;)? Anyway, it was a nice ending. A tad sad, if I understood it correctly, but still nice.
The other option was better though, if you ask me. It led you fill in your own ending (she lived in mine, btw.)
All in all it wasn’t at all what I had expected it to be like. At first I thought it would be a real tear-jerker with sad anecdotes being thrown at me from all sides. But it turned out to be, just like the other stories, sweet :) I still believe that Alyssa was mature beyond her years, but overall I enjoyed reading her story.

Overall:
You’re really a good writer and I’m going to put you on my ‘to watch’ list. Not to mention that I’m going to download and play all your other VN’s too. I would’ve done it for your secret santa present, but I simply didn’t have the time to play and review all of them in the manner that your VN’s deserve. It would’ve been rushed had I done more.
I love the look and feel you gave your stories. The art truly matches the tales and really adds to the story instead of distracting from it. What I think is also amazing is that you found a good balance in the importance of the art, writing and music. Something that is particularly hard to do. In most VN’s one of the three is clearly carrying the other two. But you really made them complement each other in a most astonishing way.
I’m really glad that I got to be your secret santa and that I was thus encouraged to play through your VN’s :) They were all lovely and I can’t wait for some spare time so that I can go and play more.
I hope you’re happy with your present, because I feel that it’s a little empty since it doesn’t have nice pictures or nething...
Either way, you got yourself a fan and I’ll eagerly await those WIP’s you mentioned...

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!
Xx
Chansel
From: mysterialize To: Lumen_Astrum wrote:I finally was able to scan the sketch for the present. I'll still color it, but I figured you at least wanted to see what I had.

Since you specifically asked for something anime style, I tried to draw outside of my own style for it. The result is... eh. ^^; I hope you at least find it acceptable. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how bishonen anatomy worked.

http://i56.tinypic.com/icp69z.jpg

Also, sorry for not including two of the characters. One of them didn't have a picture to use as reference at the time that I started drawing this, and I just couldn't figure out where to fit the other. Also, everyone Devin and Miguel look absolutely awful, and I'm really sorry about that.
From: lordcloudx To: mysterialize wrote:Here's my gift for mysterialize. I have to admit, when I first saw the description for Vacant Sky, I was a bit skeptical because it was described as a mystery RPG and I just didn't think that could work.

When I finally got around to firing up the game, I was pleasantly surprised. The intro, in particular really set me in the right mood for playing it... but enough of my ramblings. I hope you like it, mysterialize. It's based on her actual game appearance and some fanart on your DA account.

I was thinking of drawing Sandarga covered in blood with a smirk at first, but that wouldn't be very holiday-ish. :P
From: Emihaumut To: VenusEclipse wrote:I had VenusEclipse, and so I had an excuse to finally push myself to play her game Frozen Essence. AND IT WAS AWESOME. Ahem, I mean, it was good. I have a 4 part christmas present (though really, only one of them took any decent amount of time to do).
(Click for bigger version.) This has an accompanying process video that I recorded (and mildly annotated). :)
And here are random sketches I did:
Image Image
You can feel free to see my blog post about it as I added tiny comments to the images.
Last edited by emihaumut on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 am, edited 7 times in total.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Re: Secret Santa

#2 Post by VenusEclipse »

Wow. I fell in love with your idea. Since everyone has a different skill set, that might have to come into consideration when assigning the santas, right? I guess that depends if people get too specific, like "I want one female sprite set." maybe everyone should have a list that includes one of each category/skill? See my request list. That is what I mean for lack of a better explanation.

(This is one of the few forums I frequently visit too.

My requests from one of the below depending on what you want to do:

Art: Wallpaper, Promotional Art, Chibis, or just regular plain old fan art for Frozen Essence. :D
If you know how to do a logos really well, do a cleaner one but with the same concept for Frozen Essence because I suck at logos. ;_;
Programming: Some cool simple (OR complex) script....gameplay script? That might be kinda tough... but I'll throw it in anyway
Music: any track that fits in a vn (opening theme, regular day music, etc)

I scrapped writing because I don't know what to request for that.... D=
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

Oh god I wanna do this but they can still lock this thread it's only an hour old nooo doooon't!
... Is it still open? Okay, I'll write a reply.

I like the idea, too, since it involves our skills instead of shopping on Amazon for matching scarf-hat set. Hey, it's winter. You should have something warm.

I think it would be awesome if it were just like ... you have to do fanart (or whatever) of your giftee's latest WIP game. Requesting a spriteset seems weird, since you'll suddenly have a different art style in your game for that one sprite. (think of stuff that can be done before christmas!!) But to each their own. Anyway, hopefully this will help move production along and boost morale and other good stuff. And you don't get your present until you do yours! xD

Oh, since I'm participating, I can say what I want ... Anything RockRobin. I'm always looking for a new desktop wallpaper. And if you write, I desperately need some fake forum topics and song titles. Merry Christmas!!

Good idea, emi. Thanks for organizing this~

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I will participate ^^ I could do some fanart of someone's project.

Umm, but I don't really know what to ask for, since I'm not really truly working on my own project at the moment. Umm, I have a couple stories I have that are in variations of existence, maybe someone could do something about one of them or something? I'm not to picky as to what. Probably best just to browse through my DA account and see what they like : http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/gallery/
Do you think that is enough or should I expand or something?
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#5 Post by Chansel »

Oh! This is a great idea! I've never done an online secret santa before. It seems like a lot of fun =D So count me in!!

I'm not a great artist (far from it) but I could draw something if it's requested. However, I'd prefer it if I could write my present ;)

As for what I want... Well, anything you can come up with for School's Out! would be stellar. A nice lighthearted song, fanart (though I suppose this would be gift-art?) of someone from the cast, a few fun/random scene ideas (or written out if you're feeling productive ;)), or anything else you can make that I haven't thought of. Basically, like I mentioned above, anything for School's Out! and you're my new best pal C:

Xx

Ps Sorry for all the spelling mistakes that are bound to be in this post. I'm posting with my new phone and as far as I know it doesn't have spelling check (which probably means I just can't find it. This thing has everything!)
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

This is a fun idea that I've done it in a lot of different arenas on and offline, so I'm going to call it LS approved. Anyone who signs up should be sure that they have enough time to make a gift, though. D:

emihaumut
Regular

#7 Post by emihaumut »

Yay, I'm glad people are into this. :)

@Venus: Yeah, I thought about listing what I want too, but then what if someone has a skillset that I could have never imagined? (*A*) That and I couldn't come up with anything for programmers. I just couldn't, lol. Also, I guess I'll wait til you update your request list to add you to the list?

Alright, time to update the list.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

This is interesting. Can I participate?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

emihaumut
Regular

#9 Post by emihaumut »

Of course :D The more the merrier.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

Great. Okay, so count me in. I can contribute gift art (how does that work?)/fanart, I consider myself fairly competent at writing scenarios or... whatever, and I can also do very minimal music (sucky at best :P)

So, for what I'd like... well, I *might* have a few WIPs that I'm keeping under wraps for now, so those are out. So... http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com/ umm... I'd love to see some fanart/reviews or anything else you can think of for some of the newer games in here. (The Wonders of Glue, Allusions, One Week of Eternity or any other VN.) If you're planning to do a review, it doesn't have to be all positive, just tell me how you felt about the piece. I don't need/want any constructive criticism or any tips on how to improve though.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#11 Post by VenusEclipse »

Okay Emi. Here it is. ^_^

My requests from one of the below depending on what you want to do:

Art: Wallpaper, Promotional Art, Chibis, or just regular plain old fan art for Frozen Essence. :D
If you know how to do a logos really well, do a cleaner one for Frozen Essence but with the same concept because I suck at logos. ;_;
Music: any track that fits in a vn (opening theme, regular day music, whatever your strength is, etc)

I scrapped writing because I don't know what to request for that.... D=

I suppose the sprite set example will be too tough unless the VN only has one character. XD

emihaumut
Regular

#12 Post by emihaumut »

Lol, VN with one character. No fanfics for Frozen Essence?

And list is updated. :)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

Ah, so that what a Secret Santa is... it has been mentioned several times in other forums that I usually visit and I don't have a clue about Secret Santa (I've been asking, but no one bothers to answer).

Too bad I'm quite busy this December (with several manga competition that I participate in and my own yearly ritual, drawing a moe santa girl ^_^ )... may be next year?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#14 Post by mysterialize »

I'd absolutely love to be included in this. It looks like fun, and I'd actually been wondering recently if they did anything like it on this forum. Apparently not, until now.

Anyways, my project at the moment is The World is Made of Paper, but it doesn't have a demo posted yet, so it seems a little silly to ask for fanart of it. I would, however, absolutely love it if someone could make a logo for it, if at all possible. It seems to be a serious weak point of mine.

Alternatively, I'm always up for something relating to Vacant Sky, and it might be a bit better to do fanart for it, since it's actually finished. You can even find more art from it here.

emihaumut
Regular

#15 Post by emihaumut »

@LVUER: There's always next year. I'm sure I'll still be around considering how slow the VN making process is (for me at least, lol) and how much I want to get that beast finished. Even if I'm not around, I'm sure someone else will start one. :3

@mysterialize: Yeah, I was surprised that Secret Santa hasn't been done before here. It's usually such a popular thing to do. Also, you've been added to the list. :)