Lumen's art dump [closed ono]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Lumen's art dump [closed ono]

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

If you want to commission me: http://lumenastrum.deviantart.com/journ ... -322051630

And for the sketch requests, just spam me with requests, guys! I'll pick three when I get online. For those who won't get picked, I'll open again when I feel like it then do the... same thing. XD
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 am, edited 28 times in total.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

Re: Lumen_Astrum's Art ,Writing and Stuffie corner - CRITIQU

#2 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Then some Art:
Attachments
And I so like genderbending. See the guy on the Photo drawing.
And I so like genderbending. See the guy on the Photo drawing.
I'm a deviantART Muro addict... :)
I'm a deviantART Muro addict... :)
You may have seen this on the Art Dumpage thread but...
You may have seen this on the Art Dumpage thread but...
A gift for somebody... I know there are a LOT of mistakes but nah....
A gift for somebody... I know there are a LOT of mistakes but nah....
This is used for a report in English which is To Kill a Mockingbird. It's to report chapter 30. I decided to be unique and make a quick kinetic novel. :P
This is used for a report in English which is To Kill a Mockingbird. It's to report chapter 30. I decided to be unique and make a quick kinetic novel. :P

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

Re: Lumen_Astrum's Art ,Writing and Stuffie corner - CRITIQU

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Sketches of my OCs Michael and Miguel~

And... a page of the manga I am making for my history project. It's supposed to look older, but I am lazy adding screentones and shadings and the like... It's in our local language, I'm sorry.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Re: Lumen_Astrum's Works , Critique Needed

#4 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

about your artwork, your way of drawing heads looks pretty good and is consistent enough to work, but you could use some work on the other aspects of your drawings. In particular, your way of coloring them screams out "photoshop spam". It makes your line work look a lot worse than it is because of how completely unrelated they are. You should try experimenting with more precise ways of coloring so you can show more of your characters' forms.

Also, your rendering of clothes is somewhat lifeless. In combination with the straightness of your characters' arms and that hand in your manga page, it shows quite a bit that you don't know much about drawing human bodies. I would suggest you look at some photos of people (preferrably ones that aren't for fashion or anything like that) and try to examine some of the curves on people arms and torsos so you can add a hint a realism to your drawings. This would also help with drawing wrists as well as the folds and curves in clothes.

When adding the backgrounds in manga, never use a full gradation in anything other than maybe manga studio. You might notice in professional manga that gradations have a low saturation regardless of how dramatic they are (as in, they don't seem anywhere near as bright as yours). This is because the greys in manga are traditionally made with black and white dot patterns. If you try to use genuine greys, it can easily become too overwhelming for the story and, in the case of your background, painful to look at. Lastly, be very careful about letting a background mix with your character (first panel, shoulder). Unless used really well, this just causes the character to register as part of the background rather than standing out.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

I like your version of Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird. She's one of my favorite characters from books I've read (I don't really know why) and when I read To Kill a Mockingbird I imagined her with the same messy 70s mop hair. ^_^

Along the lines of what KimiYoriBaka was saying about your coloring method, I think your digitally-colored pictures could use a little more in the shading department. Don't be afraid to really go bold with shading; it makes everything look a little more interesting ^_^ If you have a tablet, you could also try shading individual strands or "chunks" of hair rather than simply applying a gradient, to make it look less flat.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#6 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:Also, your rendering of clothes is somewhat lifeless. In combination with the straightness of your characters' arms and that hand in your manga page, it shows quite a bit that you don't know much about drawing human bodies. I would suggest you look at some photos of people (preferrably ones that aren't for fashion or anything like that) and try to examine some of the curves on people arms and torsos so you can add a hint a realism to your drawings. This would also help with drawing wrists as well as the folds and curves in clothes.
Hmmm... something like this?

It's the pose I'm aiming to improve there. And it's pretty old. I used my classmate as a model there, but it's not the best.

Yes, thank you for pointing the clothes out. I am pretty quick in drawing, and that causes me to do some silly mistakes in my drawing. xD My drawings become a little better when I use references and models, but then I usually don't have time to pull around some people to pose for me...

Thank you for criticizing. ^^
I like your version of Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird. She's one of my favorite characters from books I've read (I don't really know why) and when I read To Kill a Mockingbird I imagined her with the same messy 70s mop hair. ^_^

Along the lines of what KimiYoriBaka was saying about your coloring method, I think your digitally-colored pictures could use a little more in the shading department. Don't be afraid to really go bold with shading; it makes everything look a little more interesting ^_^ If you have a tablet, you could also try shading individual strands or "chunks" of hair rather than simply applying a gradient, to make it look less flat.
Fistly, thank you for liking my version of Scout! I based it on the movie, but then her hair there is way too bland so I added pigtails and some more details~

Then in my shading methods, all I use is the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop. I admit, that's the most sucker of all the methods. I once combined them both (cell style and gradient) and they didn't turn out good. xD As of the hair. I know about the shading methods in the hair. I used to do that before (see my avvie) but I dropped that method when I started making sprites for my report in English, which is To Kill a Mockingbird. I was only supposed to do it in a week, but because of SOOO MUCH delays, my report ended up in a super long hiatus.

And I don't have a tablet. That's what I am aiming to buy this Christmas.

Thank you for the critique. :)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#7 Post by Sapphi »

Lumen_Astrum wrote: Then in my shading methods, all I use is the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop. I admit, that's the most sucker of all the methods. I once combined them both (cell style and gradient) and they didn't turn out good. xD As of the hair. I know about the shading methods in the hair. I used to do that before (see my avvie) but I dropped that method when I started making sprites for my report in English, which is To Kill a Mockingbird. I was only supposed to do it in a week, but because of SOOO MUCH delays, my report ended up in a super long hiatus.

Ahh, the good old dodge and burn. I like them too... what I personally like to do is use burn on the color I want to shade, then grab the results with the eyedropper tool, then shade with the color I picked. That way I still get the effect of the burn, but it's easier to work without "over-burning" areas. ^_^

Tablets are awesome.. I don't know what I'd do without mine. It becomes tons easier to color and shade on a computer, especially with the pen pressure feature. Expect to improve your technique :mrgreen:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Sapphi wrote:
Lumen_Astrum wrote: Then in my shading methods, all I use is the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop. I admit, that's the most sucker of all the methods. I once combined them both (cell style and gradient) and they didn't turn out good. xD As of the hair. I know about the shading methods in the hair. I used to do that before (see my avvie) but I dropped that method when I started making sprites for my report in English, which is To Kill a Mockingbird. I was only supposed to do it in a week, but because of SOOO MUCH delays, my report ended up in a super long hiatus.

Ahh, the good old dodge and burn. I like them too... what I personally like to do is use burn on the color I want to shade, then grab the results with the eyedropper tool, then shade with the color I picked. That way I still get the effect of the burn, but it's easier to work without "over-burning" areas. ^_^

Tablets are awesome.. I don't know what I'd do without mine. It becomes tons easier to color and shade on a computer, especially with the pen pressure feature. Expect to improve your technique :mrgreen:
Thank you for the tip. I'll be trying your technique on the dodge and burn later on~ :)
And I won't even spend my allowance daily just to buy a tablet. I'd rather go hungry. = 3=

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#9 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Anatomy practice~ :D
Please comment~ C:

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#10 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

That looks a lot better than the other sketches you've posted. The arms look a lot more arm-like. The wrists still need work though, as the lower arm looks like it just flows directly into the hand. Also, when having a character holding something, try to make sure the fingers are long enough to at least go around the object. While it doesn't always seem like it, the middle finger on a human hand is usually half the length of the whole hand, and while the pinky of the hand holding the wand could be just curled above the wand itself (which is what it looks like), the other fingers should be aligned with it.

The clothes are lot better as well. They definitely look a livelier in this sketch.

One thing that might help this picture compositionally, though, is if you put some light blue in the background around the middle of the dress that fades as it goes up (as well as fading toward the bottom if you the dress to fade out still) that way the reds throughout the figure will stand out more and so the dress will be easier to see. Just a suggestion.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#11 Post by MaiMai »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:
Thank you for the tip. I'll be trying your technique on the dodge and burn later on~ :)
And I won't even spend my allowance daily just to buy a tablet. I'd rather go hungry. = 3=
I personally don't like using dodge or burn when using Photoshop-- not that I've used PS for ages admittedly, I love SAI too much and that program doesn't even have dodge and burn tools.

And about the tablet; I used to think that too until I actually got a tablet and now I wouldn't be able to live without it. As pricey as it seems, a tablet is probably the best investment you can make especially if you're going to do digital coloring or any digital work in general. Besides, you don't need a fancy $200-$400 tablet. Wacom Bamboo is only around $99-- small, but so worth it. I don't think it would be hard to save up for if you had a plan of some sort. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you'll improve with digital coloring with just a mouse (you never know though, just be tenacious), but a mouse is rather limited and a tablet opens up a lot more possibilities.

Hope you can get it for Christmas :)
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Sakura02
Regular
Projects: Ecchie Sketchy

#12 Post by Sakura02 »

Hihi I love your art. you have a really cute style going on, which will be awesome once you refine your techniques and figure out the anatomy.
I attached some of my critiques and suggestions below :D Forgive me for scrawling over your art, if you don't like it I won't do it again next time.
Overall nice work. :D
Attachments
Some Critiques for you :D
Some Critiques for you :D
Some Critiques about shading.
Some Critiques about shading.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#13 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Sakura02 wrote:Hihi I love your art. you have a really cute style going on, which will be awesome once you refine your techniques and figure out the anatomy.
I attached some of my critiques and suggestions below :D Forgive me for scrawling over your art, if you don't like it I won't do it again next time.
Overall nice work. :D
Thank you for the critique. Hrhm, yeah, I KNOW my problem are the folds, but I don't know how to do it whatsoever. Thank you for the tips~

Sakura02
Regular
Projects: Ecchie Sketchy

#14 Post by Sakura02 »

No problem. Here are some very useful tutorials on folds :D I recommend you take a look at them. Folds are very important for dept and dimension. Without them characters look like flat paper dolls. You want to make character look alive. When you take a look at tutorials, study carefully where the folds go and try to mimick them in your own drawings. With some practice it'll come naturally an you'll understand how they work.

:arrow: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... l#/d2wvb4z

:arrow: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... l#/d2wus71

:arrow: http://www.deviantart.com/download/4087 ... torial.jpg

:arrow: http://www.deviantart.com/download/2199 ... rorial.jpg

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by SusanTheCat »

@Sakura02 - Great critique!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas