Need artists for a Visual Novel

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Xyphon

Re: Need artists for a Visual Novel

#31 Post by Xyphon »

Yeah, I can program, but I'm relatively new to Ren'Py so I don't want to have to make any complex python systems for anyone because I am not really capable as of yet. I can make them a website or what have you, because I can do pretty much anything in PHP, but I primarily program PHP and DM (A scripting language for the program BYOND).

Also, I'm not sure what I should look up to find "Stock"... That's kind of hard to work with.

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#32 Post by Elze »

If you can program well(keyword: well), that changes a lot of things. If I'm not wrong, the population ratio works this way:
Writers > Artists > Programmers.
The reason why a lot of artists are working on other people's projects instead of making their own is because they can't program. I don't think making them a website is enough to account for the amount of work you're asking for, but it definitely counts for something. If you're not confident in programming other people's games, you could offer assistance or mentorship to help them finish their game.

Ehhh. You need to learn to research more and make more effort instead of waiting for stuff to get handed to you. I've already given you a lot of clues regarding what to look up in my previous comment. Anyway, I did a quick google search with the keywords "doll", "stock" and "rpg maker" and got some passable results. Go look it up on your own. If you think looking up and using stock is too much work, multiply that amount of work by 10 times. That's how much effort you're asking for your project on the artist's part. I believe there are a couple of games here in the completed games thread that used stock. Go check on what resources they used and ask game makers if you have to. Good luck.

okonomiyaki
Regular

#33 Post by okonomiyaki »

Xyphon wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaaki_Hatsumi
Last name
I'll fix the Tetsuya, I am pretty sure I saw it as a last name before but I may be wrong.
I can guarantee that Ryusaki is a last name, although it may ALSO be a first name, it IS a last name.

http://japanese.reader.bz/deushi
I'm pretty sure that isn't a first name.. Deushi doesn't sound at all like a first name.
I didn't say it's impossible forever for anyone to have these names. I said that they sound extremely weird and would make people raise their eyebrows and go "huhbuh?"

I just said Deushi sounded foreign. Frankly, I'd change that girl's whole name cause it sounds like "renal douche".

Your "guarantees" seem to come from seeing one person doing it and assuming it's a norm. Let me tell you plain and simple; you're wrong. If it was your intention to make 4 characters "extremely unique", then sure, but "one person has that name so it's a name" is the equivalent of me saying that someone is named "Almighty God" so that's perfectly normal.

Furthermore, I agree with the people on this post telling you to slow your roll. The first rule of gaming is to make a game you are ABLE to make, not necessarily a game you would personally like to play. Unless you are doing all the work yourself, I can pretty much "guarantee" that you'll never find someone to stick out your project to the end unless you're okay with it taking years. And, your attitude of "it's out there so I will find it" doesn't work, or everyone who does the same thing would all have commercial level games too.

Xyphon

#34 Post by Xyphon »

Oko: I don't see what's wrong with "Hana Hatsumi", it has a good ring to it and Hatsumi isn't that rare of a last name, really. Ryusaki also isn't that rare, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I may remove Rena all together so that won't be much of a problem. I fixed Itsuki's name.. Anyway, forget about the names.

I am going to "slow my roll", I plan on shortening the game now that the general critique has suggested it.

@Elze: I never said it was too much work.. I didn't understand what a stock doll was.. I've never heard the term stock before, and maybe because I'm using google canada, but I can't find any viable results for "Stock doll"(other than an actual like barbie doll), or "Stock doll rpgmaker"(I did find a face maker...), or "Doll rpg maker" or any variation of that.

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#35 Post by Elze »

Arghh. I don't even know why I'm doing this but here you go: http://bassnovel.com/
orz;;
Credit goes to Arithra for the link since I found it on her thread. (I hope she doesn't mind D:)
It really isn't that hard to find things with a little more research. You can't expect to find results right away even with google :/
Anyway, there should be a doll maker somewhere in that link so go figure. I'm pretty sure it's not the only one available too.
& it's good to know that you're taking in other people's suggestions.
I'm gonna go knock out on my bed now so good luck with everything regarding the game, artists and dolls. /vanishes

okonomiyaki
Regular

#36 Post by okonomiyaki »

I don't see what's wrong with "Hana Hatsumi", it has a good ring to it and Hatsumi isn't that rare of a last name, really. Ryusaki also isn't that rare, and I don't see anything wrong with it.
Yes, they are that rare. I've only been doing this forever, I think I know. Again, if you're okay with them sounding really weird (to actual Japanese people), that's just fine. It doesn't make them not weird, it just means your characters have weird names.

Xyphon

#37 Post by Xyphon »

Alright, oko, I like them like that :P
@Elze: I've found some generators, and I can use resources for the backgrounds, but regardless I'm going to need something for CGs :/.. Unless I somehow find a way to make due without CGs, which seems slightly impossible.

spookyruthy
Completed: None at present.
Projects: Bells & Spires - A Suspense/Horror OELVN

#38 Post by spookyruthy »

You can commission individual CGs, that would be a lot cheaper than getting them to do the whole nine yards. Obviously an additional expense, but most players look forward to a beautiful in-game CG, I'd say it would be worth your while.
Bells & Spires - A Horror/Suspense OELVN - Still a looong way to go!!
Visit my DeviantArt!

Xyphon

#39 Post by Xyphon »

Alright, I'll see what I can scratch up. Hopefully Elze's idea of using resources works to get me artists to remake them :)

EDIT: Oh, woe is me.. I can't find ANY half decent male character sets that I can use.. I used 2 photoshop dolls from the OELVN resources for the girls.. But I can't find a good doll for the guys.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#40 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Xyphon wrote:EDIT: Oh, woe is me.. I can't find ANY half decent male character sets that I can use.. I used 2 photoshop dolls from the OELVN resources for the girls.. But I can't find a good doll for the guys.
Ha ha. That is because there isn't as much interest in males as there is in females. Overall the majority of Visual Novels that involve dating are BxG. People seem to have an obsession with cute girls >_> (I will take my hot guys any day) Plus male anime style guys can be hard to draw without them coming out girly. Took me yeeeeeears. On that note, try looking here http://blue-lolly.deviantart.com/favourites/38459714 . Skimlines did quite a few character sets.

Xyphon

#41 Post by Xyphon »

Thanks, but I need editable dolls because of the school uniform and all which I can't draw because I well.. Suck at drawing, which is why I was initially looking for artists but now I'm trying to find art to use so people can see the plot and I can maybe find artists.

spookyruthy

#42 Post by spookyruthy »

All the suggestions you need have already been made. It's just a case of putting together what you can and start pitching to some artists to try and get off the ground. Start making a prototype or demo to point people to - the more prep you do for this, the more you'll convince people you're serious about the project. Artists don't want to dedicate their art to a project that looks flaky, and I hate to say it, but right now, your project looks flaky because all you've got is a description of some characters, and a vague plot. Artists will respond to mock-ups, full scripts and the like, anything that shows you've got organisation skills.

It's going to be an uphill struggle, but if you believe in your project, it'll work out. Good luck!
Visit my DeviantArt!

Xyphon

#43 Post by Xyphon »

Writing out entire scripts is hard without art, because I think of a lot of stuff while building it.. So they would be incomplete scripts. And the plot may be "vague", because the plot is actually in the arcs. I plan on removing Misa and Rena's arc, because they are the most pointless ones, and I need to shorten the project. I'll build a demo, albeit fairly short (I don't want to release too much of the game before it's completion.. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine to release long yet incomplete demos.. So maybe 30 minutes-an hour per arc so they can see how the game will play out?). I'll see if that attracts some attention.. The art isn't the greatest, and the males won't have uniforms, but hopefully people will look past that.. Well, hopefully they realize that that is why I need artists! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

spookyruthy

#44 Post by spookyruthy »

Xyphon wrote:Writing out entire scripts is hard without art, because I think of a lot of stuff while building it.. So they would be incomplete scripts. And the plot may be "vague", because the plot is actually in the arcs. I plan on removing Misa and Rena's arc, because they are the most pointless ones, and I need to shorten the project. I'll build a demo, albeit fairly short (I don't want to release too much of the game before it's completion.. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine to release long yet incomplete demos.. So maybe 30 minutes-an hour per arc so they can see how the game will play out?)
A demo is a chapter or two at most. It's to give people a taster of what's to come, to pull them in and interest them enough to want to find out more. Releasing a long demo is counter-productive. Not only does it sap all of your time, but the mystery is gone, and the extra time you spend on making it long is time you could spend polishing parts of the script, or making a trailer for it. A demo should be at maximum 25 minutes long in total. No-one wants to play something that is clearly incomplete for any longer than that.

Full examples of the game should be saved for your testers, not for the general public.

I don't see how finishing your scripts off is hard without any art. If you're a writer rather than an artist, your imagination should fill in the blanks - it's your story, after all. If you need inspiration, look at some art that you think resembles what you imagine your characters to look like, and go from there. You need to stop assuming things about making VNs and just get on and do it. All this time spent justifying why you "can't" do something is time you could be spending getting it done.
Visit my DeviantArt!

Xyphon

#45 Post by Xyphon »

And I've been doing exactly that. I'm working on it right now. But I work while doing it.. I don't write out huge scripts at once, I feel it comes together nicely if I write it while I'm working. Maybe that's just me though.