Ren-ai doujin fighter?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
GorillaKick
Regular

Ren-ai doujin fighter?

#1 Post by GorillaKick »

As the title says, I'm planning on making a 2D fighter; the whole idea being that it will be like a doujin fighter. What I'm aiming for is a fighter featuring an all-renai-character cast. Anyway, the question that I'm presenting to the board is: are you willing to let your characters be put into my game?
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#2 Post by papillon »

... Why?

Sorry to be discouraging, but I don't get it, really. :) How many characters from the games around here are either wacky enough or violent enough to be really funny in a fighting game? Or recognisable enough to really 'ding' that it's the right character, since you'd probably have a different artist?

I'd think you'd be better off making up original characters with wacky, distinctive styles who would fit well into a fighter.

Unless I'm just being a moron tonight and missing something obvious. What characters would really work in a fighter?

GorillaKick
Regular

#3 Post by GorillaKick »

After thinking about it...I kind of don't see it myself, but, it all boils down to the fact that I'm just a lazy bastard who isn't that good at coming up with original characters. (Or, when I come up with characters they all end up being basically the same! orz) At the same time, I only sort of agree that characters in this forums' games aren't suitable for a fighter. If you look at a lot of doujin fighters, half of them aren't really true to the original characters. That's exactly why it's doujinshi! DOU-JIN-SHI! A fan creation.

Whew! Sorry about my little tirade. Anyway, the whole point of the topic is for me to ask whether or not the members of the forum would allow me to use their characters. How they are used is more up to the original creators than it is to me. I'm just the programmer.

Sorry to sound like a complete jackass. :lol:

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I think it sounds like a fun idea. It might need a sort of comical tone to work correctly, but I think it would be kind of cool to see ren'ai characters fight it out and stuff. Maybe you could even give it a sort of ren'ai story line. Like, if you choose a male character, you fight other male characters for the love of a female character or something.

GorillaKick
Regular

#5 Post by GorillaKick »

Well, that was sort of the idea I had. I really don't want to start planning the specifics right now without the basics in place. As you might already know, if you start saying that your game will have this and that, you end up making a lot of promises you prolly won't be able to keep.

Edit:
Ok, maybe I should elaborate on what my idea is. Basically, it is a fighting game first, and a ren'ai game second; the fighting is the main concern, while the ren'ai is in the story only. This is opposed to SimGirl where it had a fighting system but was a primarily ren'ai-ish game. ...Or something like that.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Well the concept does work, just look at Eternal Fighter Zero. Even if the girls are obviously given powers they don't have, they're usually based on their personality.
My main concern would be the amount of work, programming and graphics wise.
Just thinking about a few games and characters, I think it would be fun to keep their particularities : black & white for the games made that way, maybe even precalculated 3D in some cases. Same thing for the backgrounds of each character : photographs when they were used in the game, otherwise drawings or photomanips.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

I don't think it's a bad idea, and it's basically a common thing I'd say. But the thing with ATP characters is, that being under my command, they are strictly non-magical, non-SD and contemporary, so I don't think they would fit into the game. Plus, I don't think any of them is distinctive enough (in the sense thay they don't stand out like Asuka or Rei from NGE), so I'd have a hard time imagining "attacks" and the like. :? I don't think you'd want them in the first place ^_^.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

That's basically what I was getting at.

Now, what could be extra funny would be to take characters from *unreleased* games and have them fight it out for the in-game prize of actually existing! :) (That is, from the character perspective, winning the fighting tournament would mean that their game would be completed and they would therefore be introduced to the world.) A lot of the character ideas in games that are either not done yet or have been abandoned already are more weird and distinctive than the ones that have been released.

Of course, the girl from When I Rule The World could fight by hurling a series of random letters at you...

GorillaKick
Regular

#9 Post by GorillaKick »

^--Hmm...that's an interesting take on it. Unreleased characters might be a bit more interesting. IMHO, that's a better story overall than what I originally had planned...

Edit:
Hmm...well, the girl from 'When I Rule the World' was pretty quirky, IMHO.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#10 Post by F.I.A »

Just like how Strider Hiryu is re-introduced to the newer crowds in MvC, I think that it is possible to introduce some games by making these fighting games.

Everything is possible with either MUGEN or Fighting Game Maker, but obvious problem is taking a lot of time designing the character's animation sprites, and stuff.

Listable character and ideas:
- Girl in WIRTW - Commanding fleets of armies?
- Girl in Moonlight Walk - Hard to nail down a perfect match. Maybe like Young Mizuka in EFZ.
- Entity in Metropolitan Blues(Sp?) - Maybe paired with the girl. Throwing sheets of papers as projectiles might be crazy enough to work.

GorillaKick
Regular

#11 Post by GorillaKick »

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. I'm probably going to do it all from scratch in C, so it's not going to be any time soon.