Which is more important in a Visual Novel to you?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
IanaBri
Regular

Which is more important in a Visual Novel to you?

#1 Post by IanaBri »

Is it the story or the visual (graphics/art)?

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

Re: Which is more important in a Visual Novel to you?

#2 Post by EternalDream »

I guess story is more important to me but if the art/graphics is too bad, then I wouldn't even consider it. However I could deal with the art if the story is awesome but I can't deal with the story even if the art is good (But if it was like out of the world good then maybe that's something else... But then I wouldn't even play the game and just get some pictures of it to enjoy the graphics :mrgreen: ) I hope I answered your question a bit?

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#3 Post by netravelr »

I'm one of the opinion that great graphics can sway people to enjoy your game than they would otherwise like EternalDream said if the graphics aren't good enough people won't play your game at all.

However, I would say that the story is what will make a player visit your game over and over again and would make it one of their favorites.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Poketto Kunoichi
Regular

#4 Post by Poketto Kunoichi »

The story.

While the art is very important and a main factor in my a decision to pick up a game, I can get used to shoddily drawn sprites and backgrounds. They always stay the same, for the most part. On the other hand, the story is what keeps everything interesting, not how much detail a sprite's eye has.

lastmousestanding
Regular

#5 Post by lastmousestanding »

really depends
Normal story is the overwhelming factor in terms of importance, as perhaps not that great art can grow on you as the characters develop (e.g. Tsukihime), but visuals really help in getting through the story (for me at least).

On the other hand, great visuals could be the only factor in the VN, i think, but that would be if it were a +18 NSFW one - where story doesnt matter that much (but there are quite a few eroge out there with an awesome story...). Also if you throw gameplay into it, then the story isnt that important...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

I think both should ideally be equally important (along with the other elements of the VN), which is the mindset with which I create my own visual novels. This is how I feel.

As to visual novel appreciation: I think the matter of whether art or text takes precedence depends on each individual VN. Some games rely very heavily on text while others are more anchored on visual appeal. As a reader/player, I'm always inclined to appreciate the game the way it is presented to me. So, if the game wants to be story-centric, visual-centric or even music/sound-based, I'd be fine with that as long as the game can provide a satisfying experience.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

IceD
Veteran

#7 Post by IceD »

This question was already answered a thousand times and I say it one more time - everything has the same exact importance and you can't sacrifice one thing to get another one done better.

Additionally to lordcloudx's words, if you want make a good visual novel that will appeal to everyone, you have to get what it takes to create a game of at least decent overall content, which means good story, good art and nice music. If, for example music doesn't play a large role, uou can always try and experiment or minimize the content, but you CAN'T downgrade it's quality. Do that and your game will be treated as unproffesional.

lazuli
Projects: TK(ten kara), Resent0

#8 Post by lazuli »

For me, it's the story (maybe because I'm a writer. LOL). However, I have observed that most people like VNs that have good graphics, which is, of course, reasonable (especially when you're paying for it.)

Plot twists are very, very vital for me. I really get bored when a visual novel makes me think ahead of what I'm reading. But I do not necessarily dislike kinetic novels. Along with good graphics, the readers/players will be effectively glued to the story.
:D

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SusanTheCat »

Paraphrasing "Music and Lyrics"

The art is like when you are physically attracted to a person. It's what draws you in.

But the story is what makes relationship deeper and more meaningful.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

dstarsboy
Veteran

#10 Post by dstarsboy »

I'd say story and art are both equally important, however, I've been spoiled by Sake Bento and Jack Norton's games lately and I'm really starting to be more apt to play a game with voice-overs over one without.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

machinist
Regular

#11 Post by machinist »

If I had to choose one I would go with art...
Even with great story if I see art and I don't like it it rly throws me off lol

okonomiyaki
Regular

#12 Post by okonomiyaki »

Story. In the end, despite all the chatter about art, it's a good story you remember years, years, years later.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by musical74 »

With a visual novel it's a bit trickier but in the end...it's all about the story. Why? A novel that has WONDROUS graphics...and the story is sub par, I'll pass on it. Graphics can be a bit dated but the story is top notch? I'll give it a go. Yes, Graphics are imprtant, but not a make-or-break for me unless the graphics are REALLY lousy.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

miji

#14 Post by miji »

Hmm I'd say the story, but not by much.

For me, if the art is...kinda below average but the story is good I'll keep playing it anyway to see what happens.
But if the art is reeeeeally good but the story isn't I tend to lose interest pretty quickly...and will probabaly go look up the art on google so I can see it without having to go through the story XD
The wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision a whole universe. But the stupid man will just lie down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll stand up and go, 'Hey, I'm Vine Man.'

Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

#15 Post by Verity »

Story and writing most important by far; visuals I prefer to at least be passable, but writing is the real maker-or-breaker for me. If I can't stand the writing or can't get into the story, I won't keep playing, even if the art's fantastic.