"Anime" Made in RenPy

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
IsharaComix
Projects: @CameliaGirls

"Anime" Made in RenPy

#1 Post by IsharaComix »

According to MugenJohncel's classy and tasteful parody, The *mumbles* Question, there are people who find Ren'Py so versatile that they believe it can be used to replace presentation software like OpenOffice Impress, or Powerpoint. So I experimented with it to see if I could use it to try to put together a little cartoon thingy.

And here we go:
Video (ogv): http://isharacomix.com/downloads/camelia_omake.ogv
Source (zip): http://isharacomix.com/downloads/camelia_omake_src.zip

It's designed to be an omake skit, so if you aren't familiar with the work, you might wanna check it out. Hopefully, however, it makes enough sense on it's own to be worth watching. I'm a programmer with very little multimedia talent, but I still think this turned out decently.

Any thoughts?

The original work:
Project Site: http://cameliagirls.com
Development Hub: http://cameliagirls.deviantart.com

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

Re: "Anime" Made in RenPy

#2 Post by yummy »

I'll first comment on the video contents. I didn't play Camelia girls yet, so I don't know about the characters background.
Overall, I think it's cute, but I really didn't understand a thing about the course of action. If it was meant to be funny then it needs to be reworked.

After a second view I think I guessed more or less what you wanted to tell.
I think that it's because of the way you separated the action. You should have put everything in a single place, instead of putting two beds.
It gets even more confusing as you modify the background with the beds.

Anyway, I'm quite impressed with the way you played with Ren'Py for this little video. I had made an OP with the same scope in head, but it wasn't as long as this.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsharaComix

#4 Post by IsharaComix »

I haven't touched Ren'Py for nearly two years, and I recently signed on as a technical assistant for the @CameliaGirls project, so I needed to shake the dust off and try out this newfangled ATL thingy. The project developer is using ATL to create the game's OP sequence, so this also served as an opportunity to put me in his shoes to see just how hard it is (and it's hard!).

@yummy: I think I see what you're talking about. A few other folks said the same thing about keeping the background the same during the action. Thanks for checking it out.

@mugenjohncel: Those were some very interesting testimonials... but in my case, it turns out I'm being "paid" specifically to work with Ren'Py (and in particular, to use it in very unusual ways). Regardless, thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to your response.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

mugenjohncel >> No problem (although sending $100 my way would be appreciated ^_^). Well to take it further, it is all about connections. You have the business connections (I have none). The next step would be to contact all the local publishers of children's books and offer to digitize and put them up on the Android app store -- make sure to time it when the Android tablet prices start plummeting, since right now the most common tablet... the Samsung Galaxy... is more expensive than my laptop. When it reaches netbook prices, then that's the time to start taking action.

IsharaComix >> I'll check it out when I get home.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#7 Post by mugenjohncel »

Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

As long as you don't forget the "give-and-take" policy, I don't think people here will have hard feeling to you... idea will be just idea, opportunity is a different matter since not everyone have it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

I don't care man. Ideas are disposable. It's the execution that matters. If you're in the best position to execute the idea, then do so!!!

You mentioned LED boards... were you responsible for this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OAP8xG7TvXw/T ... i+copy.jpg

How about take it to the next level... make a modular advertising engine that reads the system clock and keeps track of number of impressions. You can set it to change the advertisements at night, for instance. To add a new client, you can then just create a new script file and have the advertising engine point to it the next time it cycles through all the product slots.

Right now most animated billboards still use a cycling video, but with Ren'Py it can theoretically be possible to change the content a little over time without having to manually close the current video and open a new one.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#10 Post by mugenjohncel »

Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsharaComix

#11 Post by IsharaComix »

@MugenJohncel: *dances* Thanks for the fanart! I showed it to the project lead and he loved it. Please consider posting it to your dA account so we can add it to the fanart collection!
--

Those are some very interesting ideas. I suppose I'm not quite as enterprising as you folks. :D

One thing I've always wanted to do using RenPy is simply use it as a wrapper for Pygames. RenPy streamlines the distribution of projects and it also has a very clean persistent data system, which gets rid of two of the biggest portability headaches in game development. That idea never got off the ground because I lost interest and got bored with it, but I imagine it's easier to pull off than telling users to install the right versions Python and Pygame.

enzype

Re: &quot;Anime&quot; Made in RenPy

#12 Post by enzype »

Thanks, has left to read.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by DaFool »

You *almost* tricked me into believing this was some doujin short on youtube. Not quite in terms of chibi style, but the use of animation.

What makes the Camelia Girls project very interesting is the whole collaboration among lovers of open source and free software. It's too bad that the game is not so popular in this community.
IsharaComix wrote: One thing I've always wanted to do using RenPy is simply use it as a wrapper for Pygames. RenPy streamlines the distribution of projects and it also has a very clean persistent data system, which gets rid of two of the biggest portability headaches in game development. That idea never got off the ground because I lost interest and got bored with it, but I imagine it's easier to pull off than telling users to install the right versions Python and Pygame.
Actually it was PyTom himself who ported pygame to Android
http://www.renpy.org/pygame/

Pygame games are generally not considered suitable for commercial use (only the python script is), however there are a few such as Mousechief who were able to build entire games out of python. But yeah me and a few others (e.g. jack_norton) have come to the conclusion that Ren'Py is one of the most comprehensive tools in building 2D applications (and Unity for 3D).

IsharaComix

#14 Post by IsharaComix »

DaFool wrote:You *almost* tricked me into believing this was some doujin short on youtube. Not quite in terms of chibi style, but the use of animation.
I... uh... don't really know what you mean by that.
DaFool wrote:What makes the Camelia Girls project very interesting is the whole collaboration among lovers of open source and free software. It's too bad that the game is not so popular in this community.
That could be due to the fact than only one Act has been released thus far, that nobody from the project has been on LSF, or a mixture of both. Act Two has finally been unearthed by our team's artist, so the new character graphics and script will be something to look forward to. And I'm here too, now.
DaFool wrote:Actually it was PyTom himself who ported pygame to Android
PyTom, you never cease to amaze me.